Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:19:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Help to Remember James Lebowitz  (Read 2679 times)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
James Lebowitz lived fully and courageously. His father Paul is the original and groundbreaking journalist for kayak fishing, and our beloved friend.  Please remember James in your prayers as well as his parents and older sister. Paul and Susan were amazed by the outpouring of love and remembrance from his Cal Poly Community.  They hope to endow a permanent scholarship in James' name at the Pomona University.  Please help.

From Paul Lebowitz Facebook:

Our dear son James Lebowitz, 18, was a freshman computer science major at Cal Poly Pomona. He loved the campus community,  and was loved back like family.

A memorial service is pending, most likely a paddle out at La Jolla.

In lieu of cards or flowers, please consider making a donation in James' name to:

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Gift Processing Department
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768

Any funds received will be used for a scholarship in the computer science department.

Our family sincerely appreciates the outpouring of love and concern.
Paul Lebowitz

From San Diego U-T
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/17/outdoors-kidney-donor-lebowitz-martinez/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:47:05 PM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Once again, thank you A-Hulls / Pay It Forward / NCKA for your generous donation in our time of need.

We invite you to join us to celebrate the life of James Andrew Lebowitz (1994-2015), a wonderful young man who left us suddenly, but not without a lasting legacy. James gave up his heart, lungs, liver, kidneys and pancreas so that others may live, including San Diegan George Martinez, who had very little time left. For George (and others), James was a literal life saver.

James' story was documented in the San Diego Union Tribune and Western Outdoor News. Story links below.

The paddle-out will depart from La Jolla Shores in the mid-morning (tentatively 9:30 am, with the remembrance to follow around 10 am) on Monday February 23. For those who prefer, boat transport will be available, departing from and returning to Mission Bay - schedule pending.

An informal gathering with food (there will be fish!) will follow, beginning in the early afternoon. Come to one, come to both, or just think of us and hug a loved one - life is so short and precious. The reception will take place rain or shine. The paddle out is weather dependent.

Please RSVP here or on our Facebook event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/636836963109866/?pnref=story), and when you do, let us know if you are planning to paddle or would prefer to join us on a boat. A limited number of loaner kayaks will be available by prior arrangement for experienced paddlers.

Also please let us know if you are planning to join us later on shore, so we can arrange enough food for all.

James is survived by his mother Susan Lebowitz, his father Paul Lebowitz, and his sister Rachel Lebowitz.

The news stories:

https://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=2982&AuthorID=59052&t=Giving%20back%20after%20tragedy

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/17/outdoors-kidney-donor-lebowitz-martinez/
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

Bigfoot

• Sea Lion
  • moochariffic
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
My deepest Condolences Paul.
Bigfoot
Randall Ray Nelums
Cell (510) 305 0471

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Once again, thank you A-Hulls / Pay It Forward / NCKA for your generous donation in our time of need.

We invite you to join us to celebrate the life of James Andrew Lebowitz (1994-2015), a wonderful young man who left us suddenly, but not without a lasting legacy. James gave up his heart, lungs, liver, kidneys and pancreas so that others may live, including San Diegan George Martinez, who had very little time left. For George (and others), James was a literal life saver.

James' story was documented in the San Diego Union Tribune and Western Outdoor News. Story links below.

The paddle-out will depart from La Jolla Shores in the mid-morning (tentatively 9:30 am, with the remembrance to follow around 10 am) on Monday February 23. For those who prefer, boat transport will be available, departing from and returning to Mission Bay - schedule pending.

An informal gathering with food (there will be fish!) will follow, beginning in the early afternoon. Come to one, come to both, or just think of us and hug a loved one - life is so short and precious. The reception will take place rain or shine. The paddle out is weather dependent.

Please RSVP here or on our Facebook event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/636836963109866/?pnref=story), and when you do, let us know if you are planning to paddle or would prefer to join us on a boat. A limited number of loaner kayaks will be available by prior arrangement for experienced paddlers.

Also please let us know if you are planning to join us later on shore, so we can arrange enough food for all.

James is survived by his mother Susan Lebowitz, his father Paul Lebowitz, and his sister Rachel Lebowitz.

The news stories:

https://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=2982&AuthorID=59052&t=Giving%20back%20after%20tragedy

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/17/outdoors-kidney-donor-lebowitz-martinez/

As a Organ recipient I say with out people like you many of us would not be here.  I'm a double lung and kidney. We realize how hard it must be to make that decision during your pain. Thank you so very much. You action can add as much as 20 yrs or more. I'm 18 yrs post transplant.
Jeff Horton
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:10:32 PM by SeaWeed »
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

PAL

• Salmon
Jeff, yesterday, by happenstance my wife and I walked into the Catalina Offshore Products fish market to ask Tommy Gomes for some help with James' remembrance. Turns out we walked in right behind George Martinez, the recipient of one of James' kidneys.

George was making his first post-op visit to his best friend Tommy. Tommy credits George (a drug and alcohol counselor) with saving his life. Tommy has become a dynamo in the San Diego seafood and restaurant scene, who gives back to the community. George will go on to save more lives. George told us he had been on dialysis for nearly 4 years. He had another 3 to wait for a cadaver kidney, but he wasn't going to make it. He was ready to close up shop and head home to say his final goodbye.

James literally saved George's life. George is doing well, his color is great, and he has an energetic bounce in his step.

I realize NCKA is a long ways away from SoCal, and the community has already done so much for us. I posted this invitation out of respect, and in the hopes that if you paddle out on Feb 23, that weekend or any other day, you'll think of James, then go home and hold your loved ones tight. And maybe, just maybe I'll see some of you on the 23rd, but if not, the next time I'm up north I'll be honored to remember my great son James to you.   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:57:37 PM by PAL »

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
A true glimmer of light.
James lives on Paul. James lives on.   
<=>

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
My heart is sadden by your loss; but hope that there is some comfort that his memory will continue to live on...
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Paul again my deepest condolences. Me and my crew will do our very best to participate in the paddle of remembrance to James...
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Jeff, yesterday, by happenstance my wife and I walked into the Catalina Offshore Products fish market to ask Tommy Gomes for some help with James' remembrance. Turns out we walked in right behind George Martinez, the recipient of one of James' kidneys.

George was making his first post-op visit to his best friend Tommy. Tommy credits George (a drug and alcohol counselor) with saving his life. Tommy has become a dynamo in the San Diego seafood and restaurant scene, who gives back to the community. George will go on to save more lives. George told us he had been on dialysis for nearly 4 years. He had another 3 to wait for a cadaver kidney, but he wasn't going to make it. He was ready to close up shop and head home to say his final goodbye.

James literally saved George's life. George is doing well, his color is great, and he has an energetic bounce in his step.

I realize NCKA is a long ways away from SoCal, and the community has already done so much for us. I posted this invitation out of respect, and in the hopes that if you paddle out on Feb 23, that weekend or any other day, you'll think of James, then go home and hold your loved ones tight. And maybe, just maybe I'll see some of you on the 23rd, but if not, the next time I'm up north I'll be honored to remember my great son James to you.

I saw the picture of you and Tommy and George on facebook...amazing!!

Paul, I read on spearboard that you guys were looking for abalone shells for the paddle out...to write messages in and drop in the ocean for james....if that is the case please let us know...I know I and other folks on here would be happy to donate shells if there is any one able to bring them down to you all.

I can't make the paddle out but will be there in spirit and will be hugging my kids extra tight.

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I am going, Jim.  Plenty of room for NCKA NorCal Abalone Shells in the man-van.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

PAL

• Salmon

I saw the picture of you and Tommy and George on facebook...amazing!!

Paul, I read on spearboard that you guys were looking for abalone shells for the paddle out...to write messages in and drop in the ocean for james....if that is the case please let us know...I know I and other folks on here would be happy to donate shells if there is any one able to bring them down to you all.

I can't make the paddle out but will be there in spirit and will be hugging my kids extra tight.

Sincerely,

Jim

Yes please Jim, we'd love some ab shells. Free diver and fellow MLPA fighter Jeff Sporcich took it on himself to start the process. It's very cool. Let me know how I can help.

eastonkayaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Paul and Susan,

On behalf of myself, Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers and snaggedline.com we would like to offer our condolences to you and your family. We had a little money left over from our tournament last year and have sent $200 to the scholarship fund. We will also put the word out on the east coast about your son's story and effort's to donate his organ's.

Also we thank you for your effort in promoting the sport of kayak fishing and wish all the best to your family and hope that the feeling of loss is overcome soon by the remembrance of all the good things James brought to your lives.

Bryan

PAL

• Salmon
Paul and Susan,

On behalf of myself, Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers and snaggedline.com we would like to offer our condolences to you and your family. We had a little money left over from our tournament last year and have sent $200 to the scholarship fund. We will also put the word out on the east coast about your son's story and effort's to donate his organ's.

Also we thank you for your effort in promoting the sport of kayak fishing and wish all the best to your family and hope that the feeling of loss is overcome soon by the remembrance of all the good things James brought to your lives.

Bryan

Bryan, many, many thanks to you, Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers and snaggedonline.com. It's breathtaking, the generosity of our community of kayak anglers. Speechless... Most particularly, thank you for remembering our son's name and story to your friends and family.

Paul