Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:07:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bait Tank Plans  (Read 14819 times)

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Anyone have any good plans or parts list for constructing a bait tank?  

I'm mostly looking for recommendations for the type / brand of pump to use and any other slick ideas that may not be obvious for me to consider... I think this will be my weekend project after the 'honey-do' is complete.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Pisco Sicko

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Hey Erik,

I noticed this thread awhile back-

http://forum.kayak4fish.com/viewtopic.php?t=3575.

From here you should be able to find some good info.

I also remember reading about an internal tank (the Kaya-Tank)being retailed; found at-

http://www.anglersyakshack.com/

I like the idea of keeping the center of gravity low; I'll bet a tank in the tankwell changes the feel of the yak.

I've been thinking about building a bait sled from some scrap 6" PVC and a little foam. It would be cheap and easier to tow than a Plano bucket.

Good luck.
The Other Bill

KZ

• Sea Lion

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Erik:

I have been making quite a few of these for work lately.  I have been through a few versions now and have gotten rid of some stuff to make it a lot simpler.  You can most of what you need from a good Walmart.  The rest is at West Marine and Interstate.  Here are my thoughts:

1) Go with the bilge style pump and you can skip all of the grief with priming bulbs etc.  Use a Rule 360 and then run it on 6V instead of 12V and your battery will last a long time and not turn your bucket into a jacuzzi.  

2) I use 3 gallon buckets from Friedmans, they aren't as tall and top heavy as 5 gallon buckets, but everything else is the same.  I buy a snap on lid for the bucket, and then cut a hole in the top.  Allows for easy dipping, but the water won't slosh out.  I also make a little slot for the net so it has a home.  These see-through buckets let you keep an eye on your bait and net the best baits.

3) For the "in" I use an Atwood bait tank spray head.  For the out I use a though hull with attached strainer.  

I cut the hose fittings off of the outlet side and just let them dribble out and drain out of the scupper....one less hose.

4) "Lock and lock" tupperware containers are the best cheap battery box I have found.  Fully gasketed and $1.50!

KZ

• Sea Lion
Thanks Sean...

I did some similar things, but I used a bait pump instead of bilge pump design.  I need to pick up your little net holder idea.  Here's what I did... a variation on the same theme posted elsewhere.  I too used the Lock & Lock box from Target for the battery box... and I installed a toggle switch with a rubber cover to make it waterproof.  All of that is available at any old hardware store.  I also installed a primer bulb in-line on 1" ID hose.  I think the primer bulb acts as a limiting orifice... or at least introduces enough head loss to make the actual flow rate of the pump quite low... perfect for a small bait tank.  I'm using a 12 V 5 Ah battery.  I find them very practical because of their small size and still plenty of capacity to run all day without a problem.

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I put together one of these for a la jolla trip, but the bait pump I had was a real pain to get running, and even in testing it never really drove much water.  Instead, I let the mackeral swim around my legs in the drifters oversized and very wet cockpit.  

Since, I've used an aerator and that's kept anchovies and shiners alive for a day of halibut fishing.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Sean,

Do you sell those things?  I'm just too lazy, uh, I mean, I'm a bit short on time these days to build one.

-Allen

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: promethean_spark

Since, I've used an aerator and that's kept anchovies and shiners alive for a day of halibut fishing.

I think I want to go the ultra simple way since I don't live bait fish too much. Have you found a particular aerator that you like?

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Not really, all the ones I've seen, if you bang them, the diaphram pops off the chamber and it stops pumping.  The one I have is the round one from wal-mart.  Works fine.  Since they diaphram comes off alot, and they may run out of batteries or whatnot, it's a good idea to have a spare on hand.

I'd suggest cutting an overflow in the side of the bucket and using a cup (I always have a red plastic kegger cup to bail anyway) to put in fresh water on occasion and the old water will come out the overflow.

If you keep the bait in a cooler with aerator, it'll stay alive about as well as with a bait pump - as long as there aren't dead fish in it.  The main killers of anchovies are heat and low oxygen.

KZ

• Sea Lion
I've used an aerator in the past and I've found that they do a good job with the shiners... shiners are bulletproof.  But anchovies and sardines last only an hour or two in a 3-gallon bucket.  

If you get a half scoop of anchovies in a 3-gal bucket with aerator, about 90% of them die quite quickly, and only a few of them will be sustained by a bubbler for a couple hours.  That's my experience anyway.  Hence the bait tank.

Erik

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
I use a cheap $8 Bubble Box, but the sound can drive you nuts after awhile.  I wish I bought the Quiet Bubbles model for $19.  Both models will run nearly 3 days on 2 D cell batteries.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
How do you make those home made wire fittings? I must have missed that previous post.

Gonna get ready for Halibut off BP and a live bait tank would sure be nice.
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The trick is to split half a scoop with half a dozen guys ASAP.  You'll only need a dozen or so for a days fishing.

KZ

• Sea Lion

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Erik:

Great minds think alike!  As to aerators I have tried them all at my "day job" and they all suck a$$.  We have switched to yak style bait tanks and the fishies are much happier and they are much quieter too.

anything