Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:28:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pimping suggestions for tarpon 140  (Read 3091 times)

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Today I add a new yak to the stable, a red tarpon 140. This will become my primary fishing yak, and my ancient Cayman will be semi retired. Any ideas specific to these wilderness system boats? Crate restrictions in the tankwell? I'm going to try & get out of the office early to pick it up & have some daylight left to rig it for a spontaneous weekend trip somewhere. This is a bare bones version, not the 'angler", so I'm starting from scratch. Thanks!
-Sean
"from the doon"
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
Geez, I guess everyone went to Elk early on Friday.
Well, I picked up the new boat and fished with it Saturday & Sunday. I was hesitant about the bungee paddle keepers as I had always used rubber c-type clips before, but I ended up really liking the WS bungee paddle park. The bonus for me was that I could use them on either side of the cockpit.
As far as the crate, no problem fitting my existing crate into the tankwell as the tarpon's tankwell is huge. I hastily added a bowline for kelp attachment.
I really enjoyed the boat, it paddles quite smoothly and has a much better glide to it than the cayman. The 4 pound hull weight increase was not noticeable, but the added length was and made for a more comfortable paddle. I also liked the dry ride and the handy hatches.  The tarpon gets a thumbs up from me.
-Sean
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Sean, I paddle a T140 as well, I do like it but am finding the deep seat well a pain. I finally found a seat that has a deep pad that lifts you out of the well. I hven't bought it, but when I do I will PM you with its comfort or lack of.  If you don't mind, try to stay in touch and give each other the ups and downs.
Joe

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
Thanks for the input Skyboy. I'm pretty easy to find here on the boards, so staying in touch shouldn't be a prob. I'm in the Santa Cruz Mtns so generally fish the Davenport area or  I use the harbor launch.
I really dug the WS boat & I feel like after the marathon 7 hour session in it last weekend I got a realistic idea of how it paddles. Of course, my previous fishing kayak was a shorter, wider Dagger Cayman that is over 5 years old, so almost anything would have been an upgrade. I had a stick-on neoprene seat pad from Padz that I liked on the dagger, so I may go that route. I enjoy the low CG from the seat, but it really needs some sort of pad for anything more than an hour session.
I got a 25" ling and a nice blue out of the tarpon on the weekend, so at least I know its not scaring the fish off!
-Sean
"from the doon"
(dang there are a lot of Sean's on this board! Must be the "sea" in us.)
pronounced "Pie-see-in"

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Well I have been in my boat almost non- stop for the last month. I have caught more fish than I can count out of it already. It is friendly fish wise, and without a gaf or net I have been wrangling lings up to about 13lbs. in it between my legs till I can beat them into submission. Although it works, its not ideal.I have alot to learn about fishing out of a yak, as well as needing to spend more time and money outfitting it. I am thinking about mounting my FF in the footwell, (which I plan on buying this weekend). I am not set on this position, although it seem anywhere on the console area would greatly get in the way of fighting a fish in the boat. Any Ideas? I also have a separate GPS (I think, My son has at this point hidden it form me,its been missing since last week), which I might put on a ram mount high on the console. I have already installed 2 flush mount holder in the back (bought from the "other" sean). I plan on putting another scotty mount on the side. As you can see I am trying to leave as much space arouund my feet as possible. I also want to stay low profile everything under the highest point of the boat, or at least removable. Any thoughts?
Joe

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
I'm kinda old school when it comes to outfitting. I don't have any electronics other than a VHF handheld (though as I am dragged into this new age of yak fishing that may change) and I'm still using the same milk crate with PVC tubes zip tied to it that I used on my Cayman. I thought about the flush mount rod holders that I saw on the angler edition, but I think I'm going to stick with the crate for now (I'm hesitant to cut up the new yak). The crate holds two rods @ 45 degree angles, my fish billy, and a gaff if I wanted one although I've stopped bringing one the last few trips out.
I use a huge lobster goodie bag as a net/landing tool. I scoop the fish in, and if I'm keeping them put them on a separate game clip so that my bag is free for the next "netting" job. It's been working well for me for the past year or so, largest fish have been lingcod to about 12lbs and halibut about the same weight. The bag is massive and I'm sure it would accomodate a 20 lb fish (I'm constantly trying to test this theory).
I may hardmount my compass now that there's a spot for it on the tarpon, previously I bungee mounted on top of the Cayman's hatch.
I know what you mean about the console area-it does seem like anything sticking up out of there would get in the way of the rod once you had a decent fish on. My brother in law uses a removable scotty holder on his scupper pro for trolling and has only good things to say about it. He mounted his on his compass mount inset.
-Sean
pronounced "Pie-see-in"

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
sean, I just bought a ram for my GPS, and a fish finder. Should receive in the mail this week sometime. I will let you know when I get ready to install. Joe
Joe

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
check out kayakfishingstuff.com

I believe they have a forum for WS owners. If it's a MOD that's been done, it's on the forum.
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I have the FF mounted, It came out great. I LL post pics, when I get a new camera to take pics.
Joe

anything