Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:17:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:14:39 PM]

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 12:02:48 PM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trevala Rod Selection & 2 piece?  (Read 2026 times)

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
The Shimano Trevala 2 piece rods does not break down in 2 even pieces. 1 piece is just the handle, with the other piece being the rest of the rod. So it does not stow much better than a 1 piece rod. I would stick with a 1 piece rod which stows easily enough on a kayak.

I love my 7' Trevala MLs. They are more than enough for any rockfish or lingcods. I also use them for halibut and salmon trolling, and the occasional thresher shark. The 7' length allows me to swing the line over the bow of my kayak if the fish runs under the kayak. Not sure if that is easily doable with a 6' rod, unless you got a short kayak or long arms.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
The Shimano Trevala 2 piece rods does not break down in 2 even pieces. 1 piece is just the handle, with the other piece being the rest of the rod. So it does not stow much better than a 1 piece rod. I would stick with a 1 piece rod which stows easily enough on a kayak.

I love my 7' Trevala MLs. They are more than enough for any rockfish or lingcods. I also use them for halibut and salmon trolling, and the occasional thresher shark. The 7' length allows me to swing the line over the bow of my kayak if the fish runs under the kayak. Not sure if that is easily doable with a 6' rod, unless you got a short kayak or long arms.

This! I use that rod, too. A 6' or 6'-6" would be a bit too short for me. The 7' single is just right on my 14+' yak to be able to lead around to the other side if needed.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Radski

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I have the 6’6” mh, one piece Trevala and I love it!! The mh is rated for 110 -240 gram lures (3.88 - 8.5 ounce lure). I grab this rod for rock cod/lings, tuna/yellowtail up to 50 lbs, and use this rod offshore in the Gulf of Mexico every year. I don’t just grab this rod for yak, it’s my main offshore rig. I run a tekota 600lc reel. I highly recommend this rod for jigging, flicking iron into schools of busting fish, or trolling it. Since it is designed as a jigging rod, that’s where it really shines - a big ol hex bar working the bottom for that monster ling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have a 13 foot Trident and have been using a 7 foot rod. I'm going to check out something a little shorter, my short trout rod can still make it around the bow if I really stretch. And probably going with the Medium since I use 4 and 6 ounce jig heads.

I really have to catch up to you guys. I have one trout rod, one kayak rod (soon to be two), one surf rod, one boat rod, and one mooching rod.

Looking forward to getting the new setup!

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I fished the ML and caught rockies,salmon to oversize sturgeon on it. Works good under 4oz butterfly and swimbaits jigheads. For the heavy 6oz up I would do the MH, but why fish that heavy?

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Current, if I didn't use 6 oz in some spots we go the 4 oz will drift, about 80 feet of water. Maybe the MH is the way to go, just trying to keep it light as possible.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
I fished the ML and caught rockies,salmon to oversize sturgeon on it. Works good under 4oz butterfly and swimbaits jigheads. For the heavy 6oz up I would do the MH, but why fish that heavy?

What Mark said! If the drift is that strong, as I am in a paddle yak, I usually move to a more sheltered area, shallower or call it.

The ML is super fun to work with. I've used an MH a little but in the conditions I was in, liked the ML better. I have friends that only fish salt with broomsticks and they love them. All about what you prefer.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
It is a productive reef which is why I keep returning. It is not turbulent at all, you can hang there with no problem however if you drop a 4 oz jig it gets swept.

I ordered the MH so who knows if I will like it, I'm sure I will. That's the problem, I've been swinging around a broomstick for years so I don't know much about light setups.

I'm good to go and look forward to April 15th...

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
It is a productive reef which is why I keep returning. It is not turbulent at all, you can hang there with no problem however if you drop a 4 oz jig it gets swept.

I ordered the MH so who knows if I will like it, I'm sure I will. That's the problem, I've been swinging around a broomstick for years so I don't know much about light setups.

I'm good to go and look forward to April 15th...
I like a little more backbone but I'm getting used to my ML...congrats on the MH...it's gonna be good. :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm