Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Yakker from Placerville  (Read 817 times)

Spetzen

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Hi all,
I was raised in the Napa area, but during my childhood summers I lived in my grandmother's travel trailer in Fort Bragg and Mendocino (Albion) fishing the days away in a 12' aluminum skiff. We did the grunion runs (I had my own 'A' frame surf net at 12), dug for clams, dropped crap pots, and lived off the ocean for 3 months of the year.

That's why it is always so special for me to return every year, which we did last week.  This year I ponied up and got myself the new 2017 OK Trident 13 and rigged it up nice with the Humminbird Helix 5 Di/GPS, only to be met by the 7-8' swells (with the occasional 10-12 peaks) that were rolling through. We managed to get out to the mouth of the inlet between the rocks but could not make it out to the shelf where the bigger lingcod live. Last year we killed it out there with my 11' Wilderness Systems kayak, so it was disappointing we couldn't follow up this year. The Dungeness crabbing was good however which saved the trip, although the local game warden told us the Dungeness season was over.  Luckily I had my reg. book handy and showed him the July 30th end of season date and asked if there was a moratorium I was unaware of...not sure why he was not aware of the dates. I decided not to push it and let sleeping dogs lay.

On Friday, we ran from Mendocino to the Carson River up by Markleeville which saved the weekend as far as fishing is concerned.  We weren't on the yaks, but pulled a 21" rainbow out of the river near the Carson River Inn. The river is still flowing just under 1,000 cf/sec so it's pretty fast for floating any flies, but the roostertail lures were hitting pretty well in the rough water.

We live up in the Sierra Foothills now above Sacramento, so it's quite a haul to get out to Fort Bragg and it's not just an overnight trip. So my first inquiry to the forum would be to ask if there are good kayak fishing areas a bit further south (Jenner, Bodega Bay, Point Reyes) that we can make a quick weekend trip out of?

Looking forward to contributing to the sport and making new yak fishing friends here!

Mikol Maitland

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Welcome aboard. 

You can get some monster fish without venturing to far or even out of the mouth of Noyo.  So even on the rough days you still have a good chance of getting some great fish. 

I made it out Saturday and Sunday and Sunday was way worse out there. 

As for locations more south they tend to be farther launches for kayaks unless you are at a campground with easy access.  I usually only go south of Mendo a couple times a year so hopefully others will give you ideas on different locations. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Spetzen

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks DG, I just checked out the harbor mouth on Google Earth...those rock formations are awesome on both sides! Do you know how deep that mouth gets? I assume the further and deeper out the better chances of hooking into a bigger cabezon or ling cod. I was out Mon-Fri last week and I still feel the swells sitting at my desk when I close my eyes.

Yes, hauling the yak across the terrain to launch is a pain without an ATV really good friends so ease of launch would be most desirable. That's why we launch out of Caspar when we come over. I must assume there is some places near Bodega that can be accessible with medium effort.

Willha

• Salmon
  • "Spearing is the path to enlightenment." --- Lao T
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Do you fish Union Valley reservoir?  I feel like i might have seen you out there a few months ago.  probably not given that theres a bunch of tridents out there but who knows.
----Willha

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Near the mouth its probably 20-50'.  Next time you are up here let me know and I will give you some pointers based on conditions. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

sandshred

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
 Timber, Stillwater, Ocean Coves.
 If you have the means, Sea Ranch is hard to beat.

Spetzen

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks Sandshred,
My family lives in Gualala, so I am sure I'll be testing those waters soon!

Spetzen

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Hi Willha,
Not me, I do have a friend who just bought a trident on my recommendation and I believe he has been trying it out on the lakes up there.  I think my next lake stop is going to be Caples.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Welcome, MIkol.  :smt006

Willha

• Salmon
  • "Spearing is the path to enlightenment." --- Lao T
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Hi Willha,
Not me, I do have a friend who just bought a trident on my recommendation and I believe he has been trying it out on the lakes up there.  I think my next lake stop is going to be Caples.

Nice a good friend of mine had some luck there last week on the emigrant creek tributary side.
----Willha

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I'm in P'ville.
We should hook up for a beer.
<=>

Spetzen

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Can't ever turn down a cold one Tote! I'll PM you when I am back in town...working down south mid-week.

cal.ndn-yakin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Welcome bro.  I live up here myself and relatively new to kayak fishing but i have hit slypark , union and one other lake thats not local.  I wanted to hit wrights , caples, silver or bear this weekend couldnt find a partner to go out so had to settle for striper and shad fishing in the AR on the bank. I will be busy the next 4 weekends but hopefully one day you, tote and me can hit the lakes together. Or striper or salmon on AR.  Sorry im not ready for the big blue but any of our beautiful lakes im down.   

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Timber, Stillwater, Ocean Coves.
 If you have the means, Sea Ranch is hard to beat.

Where is Sea Ranch is there shore access for those not renting/owning a home there, because when I tried to explore Sea Ranch, all the roads were private, except for the public coastal access roads. We explored Stengel Beach, but was disappointed by the infestation of sea urchins and with no ab population other than occasional abalone.

I was wondering if you have any recommendation for an access point for shore diving in Sea Ranch.  Not looking for honey hole info- just an access point, where to park, etc. to explore on our own.  Thanks .

Jonathan
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

anything