Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:35:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: WANTED: Scupper Pro TW  (Read 3077 times)

cafecraig

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Ark,

Good looking out!  I just saw your post.  I really prefer a tankwell, but that 2-hatch yak would be $250 cheaper than a new SPTW....I can get a seatback with rodholders and just stow stuff. Tempting...  I will call tomorrow morning and check it out.  Thanks!

Allen,

Thanks for chiming in, too... Great to hear your opinion and your offer is way cool.

In fact, you and Tote and Bill will be pleased to know.. I paddled Scott's SPTW tonight (and yes thanks, I did flip it twice!).  My butt and hips fit the seat - that is, when I stayed in it!

Scott is like a Kayak Scientist.  I know no-one knows everything, but maybe I am wrong and he does.  Anyway, with Scott's help, I determined that, since I will be most often fishing distances in open seas, that the choice for a fast, lightweight, affordable boat comes down to a SP or a P15.  I have read reviews, researched, compared, etc, for hours, both boats.

The pros of P15 seem to be just as you pointed out - layout for fishing, smooth and fast, stable.  There really aren't cons, per se, just compromises...  It's a bit bulkier, and I have a very inconvenient storage situation that won't be helped by more bulk.  Also, P15 owners seem to feel that this boat really benefits from a rudder in current and wind.

The Scupper Pro isn't as flat and nicely laid out for fishing as the P15.  It's also tippier, though I found out that it tips pretty far before rolling...  I will be wearing a wetsuit and high-top booties, not concerned about a wetter ride.  The SP is as fast as the P15 and really excels in the surf.

Both boats seem to be great for different reasons.  SP seems to be more of a paddler's boat, whereas P15 seems to be more of an angler's boat.

But honestly, what may be the kicker for me is that Jason can hook me up with a Scupper Pro for about $150 less than a P15...  If the price were the same for both boats, I'd probably tilt towards the P15, appreciate the better layout and primary stability, and just deal with the added bulk.

But I am on a budget and that $150 is talking pretty loud right now.... Since it's cheaper, and I'll take care of it, I won't have much to lose if I want to change boats next spring.

Either way, I do wanna head down that way, hook up with some folks at LM, and see you all in Santa Cruz also.  I will let you know.

Thanks much!!!!

Craig
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:35:16 PM by cafecraig »

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
right on.  The scupper pro will serve you well. 
couple points IMO:

I think the P15 is better in the surf than the SPTW.  I always pearled my Scupper pro, never on the P15.

totally right about the rudder.  I never considered a rudder till I got a P15.  Probably what jason was referring to the 'pig" shape as opposed to the "gun" shape of the boats.  A following quarter wind really slews the P15 waaaay more than the scupper.

"tip pretty far??"  well, yeah, but there's no coming back  LOL  Every time I fell, I'd start to tip and bam I'd be gone.  therounded rails give it NO secondary stability. the Prowler hull has it all over the scupper in this area.  But I quickly got used to the Scupper's sensitivity.  Just don't get too relaxed on the boat.

Come on down and let's go fishing sometime.

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

cafecraig

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Awesome - I will definitely take you up on that, Allen.

Yeah, after dumping myself twice on a flat lake, I won't get too comfy on anything again...  I figure it's kinda like riding a bike and, like you say, I will get the hang of balancing and moving around the kayak.  I will want to learn on the bay or a reservoir up here before I hit the ocean, though.

I know I'd like the P15... Honestly I want to see what they do with it next year, with the Elite 4.5 coming out.  Might upgrade then if they add some of those features but keep it a fast boat.

Thanks again for the input.  I will give you a shout when i am fishing-enabled!

Craig

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
yeah, you sound too big for a SPTW.   I am 5'9, 160lb most of the time, but 150 would be fighting weight.

(although I just read you said you tried it and you fit it fine)

I have a SPTW with rudder.  Boat works great for me, but I'm glad I'm not a whole lot bigger.

you sound like a good candidate for a used prowler 15.

regarding primary and secondary, I do think the rounded rails reduce primary stability.  which is good when you
need to tilt the kayak with your hips while paddling through rougher water to stay over it.  tiring if you are sitting
in calm water casting and it keeps tilting on you on every cast.

I think the secondary stability is good relative to the primary but in absolute terms, it is the narrowest SOT, so
it will have both lower primary due to rounded rails and lower secondary due to being narrow.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:37:10 AM by jmairey »
john m. airey

cafecraig

• Salmon
  • View Profile
John, I agree with you, I am a good candidate for a used P15.  Would probably cost the same as the new SPTW that Jason is getting me.

Most of my fishing, maybe 80%, will be saltwater (ocean, bay).  Maybe 20% freshwater (steelies/trout, bass).

I will just be happy with the new SPTW rudderless performance in surf, wind, and rougher water for now, and then next year be ready to upgrade if the right Prowler 15, Elite, or other boat comes along.

Really I just wanna have fun.  If you see me get tossed out, feel free to laugh and say "i told ya so!"  I always have my sense of humor packed for the trip!  I will also make sure to bring towels in a dry bag.

Waiting on word from jselli now on the sunrise color request....

Thanks for voice of experience...  I hope it keeps up, 'cause last night was the first time I ever paddled a yak, and the last canoe I was in was like, uhm... I dunno, in summer camp 30 years ago maybe!  So I have tons to learn.  Scott was a great coach last night, including the detailed instructions on how to get back in the boat!  hehehe