Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak Newbie Questions  (Read 1785 times)

loop_dad

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Hi folks!

My first post here.  :smt001

I'm considering using Kayak for my bass fishing. After scanning through the forum, I got some questions here...

1. I noticed that folks are talking about wetsuit and drysuit. When you do kayak fishing, you will most likely get wet even if you don't fall into the water, correct? And unless it is very warm weather and/or warm water, you will be wearing a wetsuit or dry suite, right? (I think the answers are yes and yes.)

2. This is more serious one for me...I have lower back problem. I do yoga and some conditional training to maintain my back. I am tight in my thigh area. Sitting in L-shape position is not very comfortable. Will I have problem with Kayak fishing?

3. Is it a bad idea to start Kayak fishing in Delta?

Thank you for your time!

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Loop_dad  Yes and Yes you are correct!!!  Only thing is if your in the water for an extended period of time you want 7mm or dry suit (preferred) but delta it's warm and there are some nice fish...so hell yeah fish the delta bro!!! :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

and on your more serious "?" you will find that your back will actually feel better the more you fish................

Welcome aboard now lets see some "Pics" of those bad ass fish your going to be slaying with your back feeling soooooooo  Good!!!
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Hi I'm fairly new to the whole idea of kayak fishing to.I want a boat but no room or it now.but what I've learned so far is you will get wet more or less pending where your fishing.I've rented a hobie at San Pablo dam reservoir.my shorts got a little spray from the wind but nothing to serious.but I bought a hobie pro angler for the very reason that I want to case large mouth bass.as I did my research the pa seems to be made to be able to stand up on.but if your gonna do coastal fishing you will need a wetsuit.in 50 degree water a 7mill suit will make you feel like your in the shower.now if your in the delta casting for black bass in 70-80-90 degree weather with a 7 mill wetsuit the sheriff will come and arrest you for paddling around naked cause I'm sure you will be peeling it off once the sun hits you.hope this helps you along I fish and dive alot but from a kayak it's new to me also.I bought my hobie pro angler back in Jan this year havn't got got a chance to take it out yet.just got done rigging it so ihope to take it out soon
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Delta is a great place to fish. Summer and nice weather I just wear swimsuit. Winter I can't tell you what I wear because some around here will curse at me, but I stay dry. Nuff said about that. Ocean you need a wetsuit. To easy to have problems out there. I don't fish ocean too much, but love it.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

hallsworth

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Im with racinrob on this I don't use a wetsuit and if it is a nice day I will go out in shorts in winter but in the delta I am always within swimming
Distance of the shore but I also bring dry cloths in case on cold days I use neoprem waders
" beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

idaho

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
My advice, for what's it's worth, is to take a lesson. I can't tell from your post if you've bought a kayak or not, but I'm guessing you haven't yet. Check out Monterey Bay Kayak. You can either take a sit-on-top (SOT) kayak class or, more cheaply, just rent one for the day at $30, get the quick intro, and then try it out.

Yes, your back will get stronger with more kayaking. It is a "core" exercise. If you are having trouble with this, you may want to use the next couple/few months working on your core to ease the transition.

I'm no pro, but that's my two cents.

-Darren

loop_dad

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Wow, thank you everyone! I was surprised to see so many responses so quickly!

No, I haven't bought my kayak yet. I think I might rent one at some lake where I can actually bass fishing for a day, just to try out.  I don't know if any of you have a back condition, but some exercises which are known to  strengthen core could actually hurt already irritated back if you are not careful.

I asked about Delta because I am not familiar with Delta and I am not familiar with Kayak's ability. I hear that it could be tricky and dangerous with current, wind and wake from other boat in Delta when you are on a small watercraft. 

And I only plan to fish for black bass. No ocean fishing.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
We can go anywhere a PB can go, just not as fast. You get used to the stability in time and you won't really notice wakes anymore. There are a lot of us with buddy yaks that are willing to hook up and loan yaks. If there is a hookup you want to check out, post up you want to tag along if someone has a spare yak. You might get out that way with seasoned yakers. Just don't expect to get the babysitting routine. It would be a long drive to fish with me most times, but would be willing to take you out. Sometimes I hit some delta areas. I don't post too many hookups anymore. I just head out when I feel like it. Usually a couple days a week.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Dry Bones

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Like Vince510Chow, I have a Hobie Pro Angler.  It is a very dry ride.  For lakes like Shadowcliffs in the Winter, I just put on splash pants over my jeans and tennis shoes.  This keeps youi from getting wet when you bring a fish aboard.  There is a new boat called the Pro Angler 12 which is a smaller version of my old style.  It has a multi adjustable seat/chair that keeps you above any water in the boat.  You can check it out if you're interested:
http://www.hobiecat.com/videos/1314/

Christian

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I love the santa cruz raptor for fishing. I stay dry and out of the wind. It is a super stable yak. I stand in mine all the time.
santa cruz raptor!!!

anything