Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Capitola Converted Yakker Checking in  (Read 3782 times)

PingKod

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I converted from renting skiffs at Capitola wharf to just purchasing a Hobie Outback yesterday. I've been renting skiffs for over a decade and fished the waters thoroughly. I tricked my skiff stuff with a depthfinder, handheld GPS to mark reefs and my honey holes. Learned the water pretty well...but have always envied kayakers for being able to navigate the kelp beds and at the surf line at NB (generally) better than boats, and also to be able to work the more open waters, too. I rented a kayak at the wharf and fished a few times and thought, "this is way cool." I live in the village part time and I"m good to wheel my yak down to the beach by the wharf and picture plenty of time on the water. I've read several posters are also locals and wanted to give a shout out since I"m a newb and I'm looking for any tricks or warnings (eg, are 'dabs gettable from the area (reasonably); go in when the wind comes up; don't paddle after the man in the white suit, etc.)...especially for entering and exiting the water. I'm also looking for potential buds to go out with. I'm happy to share my GPS coordinates with anybody who would like to reciprocate. I cant freakin' wait to get out there. I'll probably be the one who is epically failing, but will look forward to  learning and becoming addicted. .... And also, anything I NEED to have when I go out, besides the obvious for safety--do I NEED pool noodles, for example, or is a handheld pump sufficient? Should I wear neoprene bottoms or is a bathing suit (which is what I did when renting) sufficient? Thanks and tight lines!

porky (bp)

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Dont wear the bathing suit :) Specially a thong! Seriously though, loose the trunks on the yak, others will chime in.

I am in Capitola, right next to Jade Street park. Fish Capitola a lot in summer. Well get out there. I rented a yak from the wharf too my first time a few years ago, ended up buying one right after too. I think most people go to Monterey for dabs. Your yak will take to to more places then your skiff. did forsure!

Youll see SCallen out there a bunch, hell be the guy catching halibut right under your nose all day long.

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
Welcome to the madness PK, I'm stoked to hear that ya got yourself a yak  :thumleft: As Brent mentioned, lose the trunks and make sure you're wearing proper clothing for submersion.

I believe I may know of you, as I've got couple buddies who somewhat regularly rent skiffs outta Capitola. They've mentioned about a local skilled angler who brings his nifty electronics to temporarily install and use on the skiff. I'm assuming that is you :)

If you ever come down toward Monterey, shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to hookup for some fishing! Glad ya made the jump to yaks, you found the right community that'll share lotsa knowledge and info with ya!

-

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
 I live in Aptos and fish Cap once in a while.  The only advise I would give you is that the launch off the beach is usually easy but in a south or south west swell, that little beach can be pumping.  So look at the swell forecasts.  IN the summer you can always just land at the end of the wharf but until the dock is down, watch your back on landing.  Oh and when the swell is up, there is a nasty reflex wave that comes off the cliff back towards the wharf.

This is all stuff that you will learn to handle, just be aware of it.

If you see a sumo with a white hat on an orange trident, that would be me, come on over and say howdy.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Nice upgrade. WTTM!
<=>

PingKod

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks, guys! So if I grudgingly ditch the thong or bathing suit ( :smt002) in favor of submersibles, any recommendations as to what and where to purchase locally? And also, to start the descent into total newbishness, how many poles are ideal to start? Was thinking three, one for a sabiki for bait and two for targeted fish but would like thoughts if there are better ideas. Also, gloves? Yes/no? And how is entry and exiting with a hobie? More difficult to paddle and get out than a paddle kayak (Sorry, but have to ask)? Lastly, I'm good with a gaff and ungood with a net. Is htere a preference or necessity difference with a kayak? And how do you keep the the fish once caught? Heavy duty stringer, gunny sack in the yak?

I guess that's me, shim, from the guys on the wharf, as I don't think anybody else pimps their skiff. It helps for bait and finding structure and made fishing more enjoyable, but I ignored the fish marks as that would make me crazy when the water's salady. Last year I bagged a 35 lb 7 gill shark (weird this far south. I called it in when I caught it and Ed didn't believe me, so it was fun to bring in to the wharf...and was DE-lish) and I've been thinking how sick that would have been to catch in a kayak.

I'll look for you when the fishing gets going, e2g. I'll be in a olive Hobie, and will be the guy who's cursing frequently...

Really appreciate the comments and the tips. I can tell this forum kicks. I'll message you when I start going out. I'm on Fanmar, which is just above the village itself. Does anybody go out in March? Was thinking Maiden voyage in mid-March just to check it out.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Boy, you have a lot of questions  :smt044  Welcome to the madness!  :smt003  Check out the article here first: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,27534.0.html

You can surf launch a Hobie just like any other yak.  But you have to account for the Mirage drive on launching and landing.  Most people pull the drive out for each trip through the surf zone, and keep it leashed to the yak somehow in case something does flip you over.  In places like Cap or MBK with easy surf launches, and no rocks, I'll sometimes leave the drive in before launching, almost never for landing.  You will want to go out without all your fancy fishing gear and get some practice before trying to launch in the surf.  Better yet, take a class, many many of us have and it builds more confidence and teaches you how to survive mistakes on the water. 

How many rods?  Well, 3 would be my max ever on the ocean, prefer to stick with two for almost all applications.  You dont need a dedicated sabiki rod if you rig one rod for something like irons or swimbaits and the other for live bait.  Just use your jigging setup for catching bait, and while loading up your bucket/bait tube its a good idea to drift one of your baits.  For keeping your catch, if you catch  :smt044 a lot of guys use whats called a Game Clip, which is a large solid stringer.  You do need to keep a net on the ocean to be legal for landing undersized fish, etc.  But the gaff is a necessary tool if your gonna target larger fish. 

Will probably start looking for halibut around April so if you wanna hook up let me know!  :smt006
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Welcome to the madness and tight lines!

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Welcome!  I usually used to rent the skiffs with my buddies as well and know the waters a little better than anywhere else so Capitola will most likely be my go to spot once I get comfortable enough to hit the ocean in my kayak.  Maybe we'll meet up sometime.

Tight lines.
If you ain't first, you're last.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
on the net vs gaff, on a boat I like to gaff but on a yak, I boga grip the fish or use a net.  On a kayak if you gaff a a halibut for example, even holding the gaff high, the tail of the fish might still be on the kayak.  One upward thrust and the fish comes off the gaff.  A net lets you wrap that puppy up.  Of course you have to deal with the tangled mess, but at least you can think about dinner while doing so.

out of cap I use 3 rods, one sabiki and two bait.  If I am rock fishing I take two rods.

I like to have some gloves on deck, I use those cheap knit gloves with the palm and fingers coated with blue plastic. 

I keep two game clips ready.  Hopefully one contains a nice fish that is subdued and the other is ready to secure the new more feisty catch.  A burlap sack is nice to keep your fish in the tankwell wet.  Having a club to knock the fish out is good.  I use a replacement hammer handle.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

MyAfroDZYak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Hey PK43808,

Haven't had as much time to surf the site so I apologize for the late response. Glad to hear of another yakker out of Capitola and am sure I'll see you otw. I spend most weekends from May through September in Captiola and usually get out at least once a weekend.

If you haven't yet, purchase a set of Hobie plug in wheels. For Capitola I use the hard rubber type and a modified set of LL Bean for the front fitted with Hobie rubber wheels. I pull my Revo to and from the wharf towards the village and the hard wheels work great. I've done it with the beach wheels but it's a lot more work.

I carry a folding net for everything but "for sure" halibut. 9 out 10  times I release what I catch and a net makes it much easier to handle and the fish seem to swim better with fewer holes in their sides. A net is also one of the mandatory pieces of equipment.

Depending on your style, will probably dictate how many rods you carry. A safe guess would be however many you currently use would be a good starting point. I can only manage 2 at one time but carry 3 rods, 1 spinning sabiki/swimbait, 2 casting w/hali rigs. I usually target hali w/sardines or bait and use 2 rods for trolling. I leash all my rods but it's just my preference.

I wear Kokatat goretex bibs and love them, great product w/relief zipper but expensive. You can add a dry top and have almost the same coverage as a drysuit (almost) and it's alot easier to take off layers if the sun comes out. I also have Torpos pants but the sides ride lower and if you take a wave, can have a wet bottom. I've never needed gloves but I think it's a personal choice and if you've never needed them in a skiff why on an Outback.

Like mentioned, you'll probably want to practice without equipment if you plan on surf launching/landing. The surf breaks late and if you plan on surf launching/landing, you will pay your dues. Last year there were quite a few south swell days which make for an interesting time, even from the ramp.

The other reason for the Hobie plug in cart is that you should be able to wheel your rig all the way to and down the boat ramp, that's what I do. I should say with the exception of special events like the Begonia Festival, when you can hardly walk down the streets. If needed, Myron and Mike will help you the first time down the ramp if you're having trouble. My Revo fits perfectly, but the Outback is a little wider and might take a little more work.

Other accessories, Hobie Livewell (sardines will still die in a couple of hours) but I don't like the drag of bait tubes, fish finder and rod holders.

As far as warnings, they would be almost the same as when in a skiff, with the exception that just remember you'll only have less than a foot between your butt and the water. If you head out towards Pleasure Point be ready to start heading back towards O'neils after 11:00am when the wind kicks up. Most of the time from there towards the Mile Reef, you shouldn't have a problem but if you feel uncomfortable head in towards protected areas. At least that's what I do.

Like with all advice, please take this with a grain of salt because your situation will probably be a little different than mine and I am still a novice myself.

Look foward to seeing you otw.
Dean

NicksYak

• Salmon
  • All gave some. Some gave all.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Thanks for posting, PK (mind if I shorten it?) and welcome. Glad I read this; great advice from all. I hope to see you OTW.

PingKod

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Wow. What great input. You guys are really generous. PK is good--way better then the silly numbers. I do have the hard rubber wheels, so good there; Got the live well, so good there; I may get a boga grip cuz I"m awful with a net...But I'll keep a net to learn. And great suggestion to out out and practice without my gear. Can't wait. Thanks, all!

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
PK, hope to see you out there. Good info from everyone, +1 on the shorebreak!
Jim
Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I'll look for you when I launch out of Capitola, not far from my home in Live Oak.  I've never launched form the wharf, I guess I'll have to give it a try - it always looks like a tossup between rolling up the steep narrow ramp and the steep sandy road- just about the limit for pulling my yak and gear up the hill if I make a sling to put over my shoulder to pull with.
  Gloves- just to keep the hook and spine sticks down, I wear the thin black nitrile covered ones that you can get at Pro Build on 41st - I can tie knots with them on if I get them one size smaller than for gardening. You can get a hook through them, but you really have to push.