Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tarpon 120 Front Hatch leak  (Read 16121 times)

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
I'm very happy with the kayak otherwise. Actually I'm kind of shocked they didnt address my question on their facebook page. Seams like something they would want to handle and get taken care of.

Havent had time to get into fixing it yet. Hopefully warmer weather this weekend will help.

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
So without a whole lot of time on my hands I decided to use marine goop on the door and see if that would help. I started out putting goop where the 1/4" hole is as well as putting it on the door where the groove meats seal. If you have this kayak and look under the door you will see the groove I am talking about.

I filled this up with marine goop and let dry overnight. Locked it up and drenched it and was pretty bone dry compared to before.

Tips -

Make sure the door is completely dry before applying goop. Leave door open until it sets.

Apply goop with some kind of funnel to get a nice slim layer in the groove. Building it up too much might keep the door from closing.

As much as I like this kayak and the direction WS is going with their plastic I am pretty bummed by their customer response and reaction to this problem. From a customer standpoint I havent seen them react to this issue at all. This will make it pretty tough to buy a WS kayak next time.

So for now, floating safely, thanks to me and of course the nice people at NCKA.  :smt002

BigGabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
While I was at the ISE show I talked with the guys from Adventure Sports about the various kayaks I'm interested in. I asked about the front hatch seal. He said that the foam seal dries over time and the ends will gap. He suggested using a glue/sealant to stuck them back together. He also mentioned greasing the seal. I'm not sure what kind of grease, but it couldn't hurt to give them a call to see what they suggest.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

BigGabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I just found an interesting thread from the UK regarding leaking Tarpon hatches. A factory rep replied to their posts. It seems that Wilderness Systems had a batch of defective hatches. They also exchanged some boats and/or hatches for their customers over there.

http://wildernesssystems.ning.com/forum/topics/leaking-tarpon-120?id=3144570%3ATopic%3A14262&page=1#comments
Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah I had read that.

I'm not able to take it back to the dealer. Sale of the yak wasnt the best experience.

Lemme try again. Maybe your the rabbitts foot for my Tarpon and I get a little luck!

Out of curiousity what kayak did you end up going with? The one in your profile pic?

BigGabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'm still hunting for the right yak. I'm leaning toward the Ultra 4.7 Ocean Kayak if I can get enough WAF points otherwise I'll have to settle. Maybe a Trident 13 or 15. The main reason I was looking at the Tarpon was the seat. I have a couple of bulging discs and a torn one in my back so I would really like a high quality seat. As it turns out the seat has it's drawbacks too. From what I can read they don't drain once you get water in them. It's a minor issue, but still a PITA. The fact that you can't adjust the seat on the water is another one. One report also said their seat became deformed and they had to prop it up with foam. The Tarpon is still a very sturdy kayak with many great features, however I think the pros vs. cons tally chart is leaning toward the Ocean Kayak brand right now.

The yak I was paddling in the pic belongs to MontanaN8v. It's a Prowler 13. It's served me well on the many outings with rich. I personally have a Tarpon 100 and a Ocean Kayak Frenzy. Two kayaks that are way too small for me.

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'm still hunting for the right yak. I'm leaning toward the Ultra 4.7 Ocean Kayak if I can get enough WAF points otherwise I'll have to settle. Maybe a Trident 13 or 15. The main reason I was looking at the Tarpon was the seat. I have a couple of bulging discs and a torn one in my back so I would really like a high quality seat. As it turns out the seat has it's drawbacks too. From what I can read they don't drain once you get water in them. It's a minor issue, but still a PITA. The fact that you can't adjust the seat on the water is another one. One report also said their seat became deformed and they had to prop it up with foam. The Tarpon is still a very sturdy kayak with many great features, however I think the pros vs. cons tally chart is leaning toward the Ocean Kayak brand right now.

The yak I was paddling in the pic belongs to MontanaN8v. It's a Prowler 13. It's served me well on the many outings with rich. I personally have a Tarpon 100 and a Ocean Kayak Frenzy. Two kayaks that are way too small for me.

Sounds like your taking your time and getting to know all the models of intrest. Have you looked at Hobies at all? If so whats your feeling on those? I havent sat in a OK kayak but have the Hobie mirage. The kick drive is nice and probably easier for your back.

My seat is pretty sturdy, hasnt warped and I can adjust the lean back with a set of straps.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I personally have a Tarpon 100 and a Ocean Kayak Frenzy. Two kayaks that are way too small for me.
:smt044 Trying to picture you on a Frenzy right now Gabe. Sorry man, just givin ya sh!t.
Wait, I'm seeing a trend here...Big Jim paddled an ittybitty kayak to 1st Place @ GS4 and won a sweet new T15...and you're rockin the Frenzy, Gabe?! Good strategy!  :smt044
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

BigGabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I personally have a Tarpon 100 and a Ocean Kayak Frenzy. Two kayaks that are way too small for me.
:smt044 Trying to picture you on a Frenzy right now Gabe. Sorry man, just givin ya sh!t.
Wait, I'm seeing a trend here...Big Jim paddled an ittybitty kayak to 1st Place @ GS4 and won a sweet new T15...and you're rockin the Frenzy, Gabe?! Good strategy!  :smt044

:smt044
I bought both kayaks before I even knew anyone else crazy enough to fish off one. I didn't know squat about my needs. At GS4 I fished most of the day next to BigJim and If he hadn't been in the only yak smaller than mine I might have won. He was mere feet from me when he caught the fish that put him over the top.  I seem to remember that when Ricci won Albion Last year his Girlfriend was in a OK Frenzy. I seem to be sensing a trend. Hmmm?

I've been in several different Hobie boats. I like them, but the price tag has me backing up a bit. If the funds were there I would likely get a Revo or Adventure. I'm really stretching the WAF points as it is. I won't be ready to buy for a short time still so maybe the right deal will come along. Who knows?

mmckee

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Went out tonight after work to get my 140 loaded for a trip to Del Valle only to find a good two gallons of water in it from recent rains. Those new hatches stink. I also had the front handle come off on my wife's 120, I like the way it paddles but not enough to buy WS again,,,

mmckee

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I checked the front hatches this morning and it's not just the gasket the hatch is warped. My 140 is worse than the 120, I'm gonna look for some that santoprene was lovenly called frogs butt and see what I can do with that

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Sorry to hear about that.  :smt012

I had gooped my T120 hatch and that worked for a while but now it's letting water in again. What sux is that I dont even use that hatch. Wish there was a way to lock it down better.

Good luck and hope you find a solution!

Rockhopper66

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thought I'd share my experiences of a leaky front hatch and the Tarpon 120.
I got my Tarpon in February and decided after making some initial preparations to take it out on my first trip. I headed out for a paddle around Brownsea Island in Poole harbour. The day was mostly calm, but there was some light chop (about 6 inches) that came over the bow for about 5 minutes.
When I got back to shore I was horrified to find about 3 litres of water in the boat. I presumed I had not shut the htach properly, so I emptied the boat and left it to dry out. I washed the boat down and found that water was coming in through the hatch.
I took the boat back to the shop and they fitted a new, much thicker seal. This made the hatch lid more difficult to seal and required the lid to be pressed down to close. I took the boat home and water tested it ( a job I wish the shop had done) and found water still leaking into the boat.
I once again took the boat back to the shop and they organised for a new hatch to be sent down and fitted. After a lot of waiting for the hatch, I finally was told I could collect the boat. I took it home and water tested it!!!
The leak was worse and I had lost all confidence in heading out to sea in a leaky boat.
I took the boat back to the shop again (the only exercise I was getting was lifting the boat off and on my car) and told them I wanted to return the boat.
To their credit they agreed and took the boat back. I have now bought a Prowler 13 and could not be happier. I guess the moral of my story is to know your rights and a clever design might not do as good a job as a simple one...

Da Gup

• Bass Assassin
  • Sand Dab
  • Tarpon 120
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
I used some 1/4 inch self adhesive weather stripping (made for doors and windows)  all the way around the hatch. This took care of about 99 percent of the infiltration. I put it face up around the opening. It has held up for almost two seasons and is still stuck on...Peace.
Bill G.

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
If the tarpon uses the same weather strip that Ocean kayak prowler and
The scupper They have thousands of things there. My Warehouse is in Los Angles. There might be a store in the bay area. I saved half buying from them. The seals on the prowler and scupper-pro are style 1

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=la7jij
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:42:17 PM by SeaWeed »
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

anything