Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:45:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: 23.5# lingcod - photos later  (Read 6201 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Yak-fished near Petrolia Friday evening solo and Saturday morning with two friends.  Friday:  10 lingcod to ~17# - all legal, all released, 2 blacks (released), 1 china (released), and 2 reds (kept)--1 was 7.5#.  Awesome day.  Saturday:  9 lings - only 1 underling; 2 released that were ~17-20#, 4 blacks (3 released), 2 greenlings (released), and 1 blue (released).  The lingcod that I kept had an empty belly, was 40" long, and didn't quite have that huge bucket-head yet, but it was big!   :smt003   I only have an older 0-100# spring scale, but it's proven to be accurate.  23.5#'s...  I feel kind of bad that I didn't have a clearer scale before fillet-time...  I'll put several pics up and let the board decide if it's well-documented enough to put me in first in the pool.  I don't know if it's a rule, but I didn't measure it around the middle.  Anyway, had a great time, and pulled a 10.375" ab too!
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
right on :smt003  sound like good catching. were is Petrolia?
live life to the fullest!!!!

BigRed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Joel M
Big Red Tandem
OK Malibu II XL

eyeatbay

• Salmon
  • Halibut 42"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Wow, what did you use?

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
If there are bigger lings than Brians, I suppose another hour or two north would be the place.  Congrats...... :smt023
Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Petrolia is an hour and a half from here on winding roads with logging trucks!  And I'm already 5+ hours north of the Golden Gate.  Top that with the fact that it's usually blowing hard and big swell over there...  it has to be just right.  As for bigger lings and lots of rockfish in general, I've worked several years to score a few lings over 20 pounds.  I've been very impressed with the reports of Big Sur, Elk, and other Sonoma and Mendocino spots that Scwafish and others have introduced to the board.  That said, if anyone wants to come up I'm into corresponding and getting together.  The main factors by far are the wind and swell.  I was using 6 oz. lead-head jigs with split tails in white, red, blue...  Most of the time I didn't use my usual shrimp fly above it as I wanted to only target lings.  At the end of the fishing yesterday I went into a heavy kelp bed and jigged with a 3 oz. fish-looking jig with a treble hook, thinking, "oh well, if I get snagged in the kelp it's gone..."  I go on to catch the underling, 4 blacks, 2 sea trout (greenlings), and the blue in about 10 minutes!  I admit that I use some basic and archaic gear(!), but the fishing's good enough to get away with it most of the time.  There have been about a half dozen days in the last 2+ months that you could fish out there.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Abking is right.  While the fishing in Humboldt is good, its about the same as Elk or Big Sur.  However being off of the Cape the weather there is essentially the shits 98.5 % of the time.  I have tried to fish with Abking several times and the stars have only aligned once.  Essentially you can't plan a trip to this area, you need to be ready to drop everything the second the conditions are right.  Unfortunately for most of us, its far enough north that the conditions won't hold til we get there.  The one time I went I left in the WEEEEE hours and by the time I got there it was already unraveling.  I am glad it worked out once because I had a great time with Abking and his crew and witnessed amazing things before jelly got sick and I had to head in.   I wondered how "different" it really is, and the rock structure and kelp and algae are nothing like what we have.  Abking is way up there!  You would get your ass ultra-kicked if you launched in marginal conditions because you need to launch off of and navigate through a boulder field, not off a beach. 

Now lets see pics of this ling!

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
First of all, congrats AbKing on the nice catch.  I'd love to see some pictures.

But a half pound margin!!  Six ounces!! Why couldn't you just catch a 25 lb or larger fish so I don't feel compelled to make a quick minor protest before the fish pool judges (i.e. Bill and the rest of the community) make their final ruling on this one.

I have no reason so suspect Abking would be anything other than truthful as to what his scale showed his fish to weigh, in fact I suspect that he probably made sure to photograph the weighing itself.  My concerns are with the accuracy of a 0-100lb spring scale.  I suspect that such a scale could be off by as much as a couple pounds and still be considered fairly accurate.  But even if this scale is truly accurate, I doubt that the scale has half pound increments. In fact most 100 lb scales that I've seen have 1-2 lb increments at best.  I did some research on the topic and discovered that the IGFA will certify spring scales 100 lb and less, however an angler using such a certified scale is required to round down to the nearest increment when reporting weight for possible record inclusion.

http://www.igfa.org/ScaleCertificationInfo.pdf

Okay, I feel better having said my peace.  Now with regards to this fish pool, karma and the like, I certianly realize that I won the Elk Tourney with a fish that was arguably identical to Lonny's second place ling and at best only larger by an increment far less than a half pound.  I feel I got pretty luck there and that fish has already won me a brand new kayak.

Again, congrats on the big ling and please post some pictures!

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Pictures....Pictures........we want pictures
sweat, tear or the sea.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Brian-I think you voiced legit concerns.  I also, however feel Abking is a very honorable guy, who could do a lot more boasting here if he wasn't a humble and concerned dude.  Look forward to the pics, and checking to see if the rules of the game were followed.  Either way, helluva catch.

LoletaEric

• Manatee
I am having a hell of a time figuring out this picture thing...  I hope something shows up with this post.

BigRed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Well, I see a picture there of a guy holding something.   But it's hard to tell what... doesn't look like a ling -- it's way too small for that. 

Maybe you accidentially posted a picture of someone who captured a kingfish?
Joel M
Big Red Tandem
OK Malibu II XL

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Tough crowd.  Handsome fish Abking.  Got any other shots of him?

Pat
sweat, tear or the sea.

LoletaEric

• Manatee
OK, now I know how to work this thing...  

Regarding the shots of the scale:  the sun was higher than the scale, the photographer was lower, so the shadow vs the line of sight shakes out to 23.5#.  I can get another scale and hook its hook to the big spring scale and see if they both read 23.5#'s when I pull against each other.  I did this in the past and confirmed it.  I'll do it again soon.  Based on Brian's post earlier I think he'll concede on this one (if I followed all rules..)--especially since he won a kayak!  Seriously though, I don't really care how it turns out...

I just attached 5 more photos and tried to submit, but it won't...  I'll do one per post...

LoletaEric

• Manatee
I promise to buy a good scale with the money!  8>}

anything