Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:01:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:56:41 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Sit on Top Safety and Rescues  (Read 1792 times)

PURE ICE

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Hey peoples, I've only recently gotten my yak and been studying this site.  One thing that I want to make sure is that I'm prepared for going off shore. Probably the most mentioned thing I've read other than safety gear has been the ability to perform a self rescue. That being said, I wanted to see if there was any interest in getting a group together either new members / yakers or those looking for a refresher course. I'm not affiliated with any company providing the classes it was an idea to meet the minimum
Class sizes and to meet new people.  Below is one I found in Santa Cruz that caters to sit on tops and fishing.  If any one has any experience with these classes and can make a recommendation please do so. I know of a kayak shop in Redwood City as well as Oakland. Personally my want is local to me which would be Santa Cruz but will go with popular demand.  Maybe some one can make a post with a poll to better organize this if it takes any traction.  Below is a description from the shp in Santa Cruz. My first big question would be how you flip your yak if it's got all your gear still tied to it and full of crap inside? And would a class address this with a dummy yak fully loaded?

I'll be taking a class one way or another, just seeing if there might be any interest.

J. Ice

Santa Cruz Harbor Classes
Sit on Top Safety and Rescues
$85
This class is created for the Sit On Top kayaker that is looking to learn the skills to safely paddling in the ocean and the Monterey Bay.  We will discuss equipment, planning, weather forecasting, basic paddling skills, and self-rescue techniques.  This is a must-take class for people who are going kayak fishing on the ocean.

Duration: 4 Hours
Minimum Participants: 2

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
This is a topic that is WAY overlooked and needs to be prioritized.

Thank you for this post.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:09:54 AM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Twid

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I’m interested in taking this class.

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Hi J,

I mentioned in another thread that I will be attending an advanced surf zone class at Half Moon Bay on May 19, with River & Ocean. I already took sea kayaking I & II with CCK. I wasn’t going to go out in the ocean until I completed the surf zone class but I couldn’t keep myself from going to TC last weekend. CCK also has the Richmond Plunge available for self practice every Thursday night, I think it costs $15. If I wasn’t already signed up for the River & Ocean class I think the one in Santa Cruz might be better. The one I’m taking is focused on Sea Kayaks. Weather conditions can cancel so keep us posted if you come up with a date.

Mark
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

mik

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Hey peoples, I've only recently gotten my yak and been studying this site.  One thing that I want to make sure is that I'm prepared for going off shore. Probably the most mentioned thing I've read other than safety gear has been the ability to perform a self rescue. That being said, I wanted to see if there was any interest in getting a group together either new members / yakers or those looking for a refresher course. I'm not affiliated with any company providing the classes it was an idea to meet the minimum
Class sizes and to meet new people.  Below is one I found in Santa Cruz that caters to sit on tops and fishing.  If any one has any experience with these classes and can make a recommendation please do so. I know of a kayak shop in Redwood City as well as Oakland. Personally my want is local to me which would be Santa Cruz but will go with popular demand.  Maybe some one can make a post with a poll to better organize this if it takes any traction.  Below is a description from the shp in Santa Cruz. My first big question would be how you flip your yak if it's got all your gear still tied to it and full of crap inside? And would a class address this with a dummy yak fully loaded?

I'll be taking a class one way or another, just seeing if there might be any interest.

J. Ice

Santa Cruz Harbor Classes
Sit on Top Safety and Rescues
$85
This class is created for the Sit On Top kayaker that is looking to learn the skills to safely paddling in the ocean and the Monterey Bay.  We will discuss equipment, planning, weather forecasting, basic paddling skills, and self-rescue techniques.  This is a must-take class for people who are going kayak fishing on the ocean.

Duration: 4 Hours
Minimum Participants: 2

hey Pure Ice, how did it work out for you? any further recommendations based on your experience? thanks, mik

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I am curious as to who is giving/instrucitng the class... to my knowledge, there is no "Santa Cruz Harbor" kayaking instructions. Kayak Connection at the Harbor is most likely, and they are 'forever' suporters of NCKA and kayak fishing.... Also, Monterey Bay Kayaks hosts this type of class, but not sure with the C-19 restrictions what might be scheduled.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Deepwater

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019
Monterey bay kayak just had a free class not too long ago. 

anything