Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:04:00 AM]

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Another fish gripper tool....  (Read 6486 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0012971013780a&navAction=jump&navCount=26&indexId=cat90003&podId=0012971&catalogCode=IF&parentId=cat90003&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20166&hasJS=true

Scwafish Sean and Chuck swear by these.....I'm thinking of getting one myself. Landing a fish that has a lure with 3 sets of treble hooks on a net is not a good thing  :smt018

It's Cheap and it floats  :smt023

Loomy

price is right, but if trust the fish to a device that does'nt spin when your holding it chances are the fish will spin right off when you least expect it.  I suppose if you could get 'em on a stringer clip first?  I've lost some nice fish with this style so I went with a Boga and never looked back. :smt003

my .02,
ken

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Don't let em spin!  :smt003  The only thing I have had come off from spinning or thrashing in the past is bigger lings, so I brab 'em and fling the into the foot well and then put a leg on them...done.  Interestingly, any style of lip grippers don't seem to work well on cabezon because the shape of their mouth is flat...nothing to grip. :smt017

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I just use a heavy leader and handline them into the boat, or grab the jig by the head and lift them over.  Why mutilate them more by grabbing them by the face with a big pliers?   :smt017  I guess the ones with the integrated scale have some greater utility.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

kickfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I used a pair of pilers.  Regular hardware store stuff.  I just wrap some black tape and coated wire and attach it to my yak.  I can get a big undersize Ling with them.  This year those Lings will be legal.

I know I'm LOW TECH!!!

Ken

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Not all fishing involves heavy leaders or jigs, lings are just the only ones I have had spin off.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Grabbing the lip with the gripper, removing the hook easily, and releasing quickly is less harmful on most fish than netting it or grabbing it with gloves.  Most nets cause fish to loose some scales and protective slime.

Using a gripper has helped me avoid getting those nasty puncture wounds and infections on my hands that I use to get from handling rockfish and stripers.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Alex has that problem.  His skin peels off and burns, ect.  I've never had a problem, even lipping 10lb cabbies.  I guess my hands are pretty tough, I have mild psoriasis and (fortunately) the only symptom is heavier skin on my hands and fingers.

In the past on FW I usually would use a needle nose pliers to grab a trebble hook on fish that I didn't want to keep and shake him free.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Dave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Don't think I ever told any of you what happened to me on a trip to Davenport last summer.  Was out for several hours, caught a decent number of rockfish, then headed in.  Kind of felt myself a little out of breath as I was packing up, and headed up over the hill to SJ.

As I was cresting the summit, I really felt my lungs tightening up, and began feeling flush in my face.  I have occasional asthma, so took an inhale of albuterol.  Made it home, met my wife and kids, and they all asked why my face was so red.  Then the swelling began...

Had my wife take me to the ER, who pretty quickly took me in, put me on a nebulizer with O2 and more albuterol, stuck me with an IV and loaded me up with what was probably equivalent to Benadryl.  After an hour, the MD came in and hardly recognized me as the swelling had gone down.

The only thing I can attribute the allergic reaction to is getting stuck with some of the rockfish spines.  I've been out multiple times since then, and despite my caution, have managed to get stuck again -- I even manage to stick myself when cleaning the fish at home.  I do believe there is a toxin in the spine that caused me to have the reaction, but, so far, it is a one-time occurence.

I'll probably end up getting gloves like Joel posted, or some grabber.  I also carry around Benadryl, as well as will probably end up getting an Epi pen.  Anyone else ever experience this or heard of something similar?

-- Dave

Anonymous

Some members of the sculpin family can do this, but generally speaking those are more socal varieties the "scorpion fish".  Cabezon (a sculpin) also have highly toxic eggs, but I havent heard anything about their spines having any type of mojo.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
I use that Cabela's fish lip gripper... for 8 bucks its a great investment.  

I find it particularly helpful with those feisty stripers when sturgeon fishing... when you crank em in they still flop all over the place, and with a two hook rig, it's much easier to handle them with that lip gripper than with bare hands.
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

anything