Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:56:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 08:45:08 AM]

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Question about spearfishing  (Read 4044 times)

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
With another short rockfish season, I am kicking around trying spearfishing.  Do you think a Hawaiian sling will work for Cabazon or Ling Cod or will I be limiting myself to just rockfish?  I'd hate to buy a speargun w/o knowing if this is something I want to continue to do.

Kevin

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've only got a sling right now, and am in the process of researching a gun to upgrade to.  The sling is very nice for scuba diving, and I've taken smallish lings and cabbies with it, though you need a good 'stone' shot to the head.  But freediving the range really becomes a factor, as 10' extra range lets you work in 10' deeper water and pretty much shoot it if you can see it.  The sling is only very effective up to about 2/3 it's length.  Mine's 6' with a paralizer and is only effective out to 4' past the tip when cocked, max.

I found the sling to be quite effective on perch in very shallow water.  Diving with tanks I was able to bag twice as many rockfish with the sling as ethan with his gun because the sling reloads almost instantly and the fish were everywhere...

I'm looking at 75-90cm single band euro guns, hoping to get relatively fast reloads in an accurate and manuverable gun.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I have asked bigeyedave this question about 10000X.  He highly recommends the sporasub viper or aspic in 75cm as the perfect northcoast gun.  I just order mine, not too bad at all...$69.00.

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
A speargun seems to be the way to go.  I really wanted to avoid sinking a bunch of money into it before I knew I really liked it.  $75 isn't too bad especially considering a Hawaiian sling would be $30 or so.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If it will get me in the water, I am willing to kick it down.  Especially if you consider that lings will be legal in April.  Lings and abs...thats a good day.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I went for the omer excalibur in 75cm.  It was about twice as much as the aspic, but I really like how they laid out the muzzle so the powerbands are parallel to the shaft.  It also has an adjustable doohickey that helps prevent shaft flex on firing, sort of like what a rail is supposed to do.  

I looked into the aspic, but I read that their stock bands have trouble and they tend to leak so the barrel fills with water and affects is bouyancy, ect, unless you strip it and seal it somehow.  Check on both those issues with the aspic.  I don't know what was wrong with the bands, but a guy running a dive shop said he always replaced them before selling the guns.  I believe the viper fixes both those problems, but it's the same price as the one I got.  

My wife asked if the speargun would mean more fish come home, and I said it'd get me up north in the spring for abalone diving.  Her eyes really lit up on that!

For spearfishing info, check http://www.spearboard.com they seem to have the best boards for CA spearfishing that I've found.

I calculated the other day that the shaft from a 75cm gun with 150lb powerbands has the same momentum as a 357 mag bullet.  Be careful out there.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The Aspic is definitely NOT a high end, heritage purchase.  It is however a great entry level gun that can be upgraded as you improve, and then serve as a spare/loaner gun when you move on.  Since I'll be hitting more rocks than fish my first season, cheap was good.  Besides if Bigeye says its good, and his freediving champion buddy David Laird gave it a thumbs up when I talked to him, so as a dumb newbie it took their advice.  FYI- David Laird said the only difference between the Aspic and the Viper is the color, and the shaft is painted steel, not stainless.

No matter what its gonna be fun!

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Fun will be had by all (except the lingcod).  We should start planning opening weekend, probably have to reserve campsites early for that.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I will be diving locally, no camp needed.  You guys are more than welcome to come to the land of plenty!