Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pacific Warriors new Discovery Channel Series Kayak Fishing BIG GAME  (Read 19610 times)

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014

Finally had a chance to catch a couple episodes last night. 

Am I the only one not feeling sorry for Captain John John? 

Guy basically showed up and said I'm gonna break your record so I can financially benefit from it.....then asked where he should fish?!  Who does that?

I though it was kinda funny when they sent him on a wild goose chase.  Somebody posted a story on bloody decks the other day about his drunken blowhard buddy running up in a tackle shop, anouncing that he was from vegas and here to slay.....he asked the shop for numbers and they gave him the coordinates for the tijuana sewer outfall. Too funny.  I see it on the same plane as dudes who show up here, having not put in any work and asking for rockfish spots.  Gtfoh. I did think it was cool that the other guy took him out.

Territorialism always gets everybody all riled up.  I don't live there, I don't know the past dealings, I'm not part of the culture so I can't comment on it and won't judge people either way cause I don't know em. 

And i get the feeling that Kimi's portrayal on the show seems genuine.  I bet the other guys aren't as bad as they're played up to be.

I understand if they want to keep a spot to themselves.  But he lives on a different island and was just looking for some tips.  He has put in the time and I would hope others would be helpful to visiting kayak anglers that have no plans on overfishing an area.  I would respect them if they just said no rather than sending him on a wild goose chase.  That was the BS part of it and not funny. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Doesn't matter where he's from, he pretty much said he was there to break the guys record to boost his status as a guide.  Last person I'd share that kinda Intel with is the guy trying to break my record or build a rep off topping me. I'd think a professional woulda assumed the guy was bs'ing. It's business for both guys, yahoo isn't going to Google for advice. 

Whether or not it was funny or bs.....just difference of opinions. 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

eastonkayaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Doesn't matter where he's from, he pretty much said he was there to break the guys record to boost his status as a guide.  Last person I'd share that kinda Intel with is the guy trying to break my record or build a rep off topping me. I'd think a professional woulda assumed the guy was bs'ing. It's business for both guys, yahoo isn't going to Google for advice. 

Kayak community I like would have done it this way, "I am not going to help you break my record but enjoy the fishing, weather is great today, we are on channel 69 if you get into trouble"

Jude

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Yeah in the spirit of the show & kayak fishing they couldve handled in differently... Ive never met a kayak fisherman be such an asshole. Im helping a kid from Mn up in tahoe get going who i met on the water... Jonjon shoulda kept that shit about record breaking to himself. Too much ego.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
I think he told the cameras he wanted to break the record but didn't see the part he told the guys that.  They were just being bullies.  I like what eastonkayaker said.
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
If you ever comment on Jon Jon's FB page, don't post negative comments unless you want to be blocked.  :smt004

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Pretty sure he told them what he's up to when talking to them on the phone.  Who even knows if the whole goal was even real.  The show could a offered to pay for a couple weeks on the island if he chases the record. 

Kayak community I like would have done it this way, "I am not going to help you break my record but enjoy the fishing, weather is great today, we are on channel 69 if you get into trouble"

They're not the kayak community, they're commercial fisherman......shenanigans exist. 

It's a whole different ball game from what we do and how we support each other.  Again, I'm not part of their community nor do I know the history so it's hard to sit back and say how things should be. 

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile

If you ever comment on Jon Jon's FB page, don't post negative comments unless you want to be blocked.  :smt004

I have no intention of ever using Facebook.  My wife uses it more than any human should and friends and family seem to always know what's going on before I tell them so no need for me to get involved. 

Any good info on FB usually gets reposted here by someone so that helps me. 
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

eastonkayaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012

Pretty sure he told them what he's up to when talking to them on the phone.  Who even knows if the whole goal was even real.  The show could a offered to pay for a couple weeks on the island if he chases the record. 

They're not the kayak community, they're commercial fisherman......shenanigans exist. 

It's a whole different ball game from what we do and how we support each other.  Again, I'm not part of their community nor do I know the history so it's hard to sit back and say how things should be.

Plenty of people on NCKA who make money from kayak fishing, guides, magazines, selling kayaks, fishing or kayak gear. All has to do with respect. I know a lot of commercial fisherman, crabbers and guides who work on Chesapeake Bay plus a few commercial guides I have met on Sacramento River majority help each other out, share reports, work together to improve their business but most important they look out for each other OTW.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
lol....right, respect, like hey I'm coming to your back yard to break your record that way I can make more money....now tell me where your secret fishing hole is.

How many of your buddy's would befriend someone or help a guy out if they came in with that attitude? 

I'm not gonna continue beating a dead horse, the situation is what it is. I'm gonna reserve jusgement. 

Ps.....im going to oahu this winter, gonna roll my wavestorm through pipe and expect everyone to be nice to me while I score a cover worthy barrel. 

Ronaldo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thank you Discovery Channel.  I am so excited there is a kayak fishing show.  I think Kimi is bad ass and the star of the show.  Show more of her please.   :smt007
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
my biggest complaint is that the actual new footage and new info for each hour show is about 5 minutes. If I hear that they want to make 80K this year again I'm gonna puke.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
my biggest complaint is that the actual new footage and new info for each hour show is about 5 minutes. If I hear that they want to make 80K this year again I'm gonna puke.
Narrator is unnecessary.

scooter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I like the show, scenery ect. It does wear pretty thin though what they try to pass off as reality. As they reel in a fish the weather is different every shot and last night I believe I saw a guy change reels three times while fighting one fish. That is quite the skill. The best part is watching Kimi dive hopefully she shoots some big fish that aren't already hooked like the one she shot last week was. At least photoshop the hook out of the fishes mouth. Everything seems very staged

Jude

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I saw the reel change spincast to baitcast.... Great exposure for our sport

anything