Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:43:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lawrence Hook 2 Triple shot transducer - Install on Kayak  (Read 4363 times)

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I'm interested in purchasing a hook2 primarily for the down and side imaging. Does anyone have successful  experience mounting the Triple Shot Transducer on a kayak? The transducer is super long and narrow.  Thanks!

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Some Hobie kayaks have a Berley Pro cover you can install for it.

If that's not possible I'd probably go the route of mounting it off the side of my kayak...
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

EasyEde

• Let's go fishin!
  • Sand Dab
  • Let's go fishin!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
I had to get a little creative mounting the triple shot onto my Wilderness System OS pod. Added a two-inch block of redwood to get the transducer to clear the hull in order for the side scan to work correctly. I guess it all depends on your boat.

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I had to get a little creative mounting the triple shot onto my Wilderness System OS pod. Added a two-inch block of redwood to get the transducer to clear the hull in order for the side scan to work correctly. I guess it all depends on your boat.

Thanks for both of your replies.  Thresher, can you elaborate your reason for adding the 2" block of redwood?  Is this so the transducer will be in contact with water?  I have a Vibe Sea Ghost and am thinking of placing the transducer in the "slots" on the bottom of the yak but am not certain if these areas are in contact with the water(I believe these slots are where water, through the scupper hole,  drain.)

Mike

EasyEde

• Let's go fishin!
  • Sand Dab
  • Let's go fishin!
  • View Profile

Thanks for both of your replies.  Thresher, can you elaborate your reason for adding the 2" block of redwood?  Is this so the transducer will be in contact with water?  I have a Vibe Sea Ghost and am thinking of placing the transducer in the "slots" on the bottom of the yak but am not certain if these areas are in contact with the water(I believe these slots are where water, through the scupper hole,  drain.)

Mike

Hey Mike,

Yeah, the Wilderness has a removable pod and a slot toward the front of the boat for electronics/transducer. In order to reduce interference from the hull I added a "spacer" to get the ducer to clear the hull. It's just barely below the slot and the sidescan works great, but I may be shaving off a little more of that redwood spacer in order to have the transducer more flush. When I land I have to take the pod out immediately so the weight of the boat isn't resting on the transducer, but during a rough surf landing it may not be possible. It's a work in progress as this is my first yak/finder.

EasyEde

• Let's go fishin!
  • Sand Dab
  • Let's go fishin!
  • View Profile
Here's some photos so you have a better idea of what I mean. This won't do you too much good without the pod/slot on the wilderness but hopefully it gives you an idea of what might work.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:18:34 AM by Thresher »

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thresher - That looks like a winner but do you have issues having it stay flat?  I may have to do the same McGyvering to get it to work on my yak.  I emailed Lowrence for info on the triple shot transducer and they sent me this install guide pdf.  ftp://software.lowrance.com/Documents/TripleShot_IG_EN_988-11775-001_w.pdf

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:10:38 PM by Ebayfisher »

EasyEde

• Let's go fishin!
  • Sand Dab
  • Let's go fishin!
  • View Profile
It's a solid mount and rides parallel to the water like it should. The finder is registering fish normally without too much deflection. I cut off 3/4" last night and now it's up and protected in the ducer slot. We'll have to see what affect it has (if any) on my sidescan.

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
It's a solid mount and rides parallel to the water like it should. The finder is registering fish normally without too much deflection. I cut off 3/4" last night and now it's up and protected in the ducer slot. We'll have to see what affect it has (if any) on my sidescan.

Hey Thresher,

I purchased the Hook 2 7 and managed to mount the transducer on my Vibe Sea Ghost.  I had to use the Berylepro TripleShot transducer mount and had to make a few customizations to get it to work..  I probably could have got away with mounting the transducer in one of the scupper channels on the bottom of the yak given they're submerged all of the time but I didn't want to risk damage to the transducer. 

I took it out this morning and it seems to work ok - funny I didn't see many fish and I didn't catch any fish  :smt009 

EasyEde

• Let's go fishin!
  • Sand Dab
  • Let's go fishin!
  • View Profile
Looks good to me! I adjusted my transducer to ride up higher in my hull and it doesn't look to have affected my side scan, so I'm a happy camper. I went out Saturday and got a big skunk for the day, so don't feel too bad.  :smt010

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looks good to me! I adjusted my transducer to ride up higher in my hull and it doesn't look to have affected my side scan, so I'm a happy camper. I went out Saturday and got a big skunk for the day, so don't feel too bad.  :smt010

I have to say its quite enjoyable to make a successful mod to a kayak.  Thanks for your response and guidance :smt001

EasyEde

• Let's go fishin!
  • Sand Dab
  • Let's go fishin!
  • View Profile
Not sure how much help I was, but I'm glad you were able to nail it down and let me follow the progress. Let me know if you ever want to head out fishing!

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Not sure how much help I was, but I'm glad you were able to nail it down and let me follow the progress. Let me know if you ever want to head out fishing!
Absolutely! I usually stay local to Berkeley but am up for new excursions. 

anything