Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:28:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How do you store your kayak(s) ?  (Read 84532 times)

nocal15

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
It's been a while since I've posted, actually it's been a while since I've been on my Hobie. I recently made a slight modification to my storage trolley. I have to admit, I can't wait to hit the water again.

Here's the way that I've been storing my Outback since 2010. It's a trolley I roll out of my garage, I place next to my vehicle and the lift the outback onto the roof of the car. When I'm done, I just reverse it.

I recently added a paddle board to the side, it still works just as fine. Hope it helps some of you.

nocal15

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Forgot to mention, the body is not resting on the wood, I added 1.5" webbing in between to support it. I also used the bottom to store the drive, seat etc. the paddle board is supported by 1" webbing.

• Better lucky than good.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
I have a similar set up that I adopted after seeing someone else on here with a design that just made sense. I tweaked a few things but in a couple of hours I had everything cut and put together thanks to my father-in-law's help. Aside from the slightly "hefty" nature of it this thing is never going to break or get loose on me and I can move it right up to my tailgate slide it on, due to the larger diameter PVC piping on top (which totally saved my back/knees)
-Wet Behind The Ears-

Wilderness Systems Ride 135

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

"It’s not whether you get knocked down; It’s whether you get back up.” - Vince Lombardi

nocal15

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Nice set-up, one of these days I plan to box in the bottom just to prevent items from falling off.

Vulcan800

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Picked up a pully system at Walmart.  Not a bad set up.  Wife wouldn't let me put in the center of the garage so I could just drop it on the car.
If it don't feel right...SET THE HOOK!

Wilderness Systems Monteo

Jude

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Cpt.Hook'D

• Sand Dab
  • I'd rather gamble fishing
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Did a little improvising over the weekend to get the yak off the ground. Bought three eye hooks from Home Depot and supported it with 3 tie downs. I hoist it up from the middle one (ratchet) and then secure the other two in place. They all have uniform pressure but are these tiedowns not wide enough to prevent oil canning? It doesn't get very hot where I live (SC) but I'm still slightly concerned. Any critiques and suggestions would be much appreciated! Sweet setups a lot of you guys have too! When I eventually upgrade, and this t120 becomes the ladies, I'll have to get more creative!
"If a man fails to honor the water, he shall not gain the life from it."

"Bet against Captain James Hook and you get the Boo Box!"

"So Peter, you've become a pirate!" - Wendy

------------------------------

Wilderness Systems: Tarpon 120

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
work in progress ....
Build me one too since your building one
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

newfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Underneath the deck

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Trapped on the trailer during fishing season in a storage unit on the trailer in the not so fishing season. 

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

57FISHY

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Tired of the kayaks being piled up on each other taking up floor space so I built this "Yak Rack".  BTW these are not all mine.  I convinced some friends at work that they needed a kayak  :smt004

SF_fisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I recently picked up a Suspenz EZ Kayak Rack off Amazon for $60.  I mounted the bars this past weekend and absolutely LOVE it.  Super strong, really easy to mount, holds my Trident just fine, no BS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OO82WC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life,
there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Califbill

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Mine is similar to the first picture on the thread.  But I had an old extension aluminum ladder that I cut up and welded together.  Hold two yaks, I store upside down.  But I have a welder, do art welding, and can weld aluminum.

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Stern lasso  The bow lasso is similar, except I ran out of quick release buckles, so the lasso is fixed. I slide the yak back a bit and slip the front lasso in place before hooking up the rest of the straps

Here you can see the plank clamp and the strap connection. The straps and foam cradles fasten to 3/4" thick baltic birch ply crosspieces.

Note the safety chain (not hooked up yet) hanging between the yaks

Here's the front safety chain hooked up. After hooking it up, I ease the load off the ropes. There are two safety chains at the other end of the rack, one on each side. This three point hanging keeps the rack from rolling to either side when the tension on the ropes is eased up.

I hope I don't get in trouble for doing this in three posts. Most forums I go to have a limit on how long they can be, so I've developed the habit of doing posting in chunks.

Sam
Sam, this is a great approach.  I really like the torsion box base board, there are lots of options with it.
http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/productlist.asp?F=2&PDID=949&DID=951

http://www.anefforttorecoup.com/search.aspx?qt=kayak%20storage%20rack

These links are dead. Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

anything