Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bass Lake late Kokanee  (Read 1389 times)

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Went up to Bass Lake this morning to chase Kokanee for the first time.  All I had was a few jigs in 1/4 and 1/2 oz, mostly hot pink.  when I pulled in a NICE inshore boat was leaving with 3 anglers and 14 fish between.  They said they were only out an hour and released several humpy fish, they also said that there was a guide boat on the school.  Sam dog and I paddled out to the ease side of the bouy line and the guide was coaching his client that the fish were  from 50 to 90 feet. 
I jigged, and jigged, and switched, and watched, and hooked 4, landing 1 in 2.5 hours (the guide/client caught ~30)  :smt005
Another small boat advised me that I needed to get my fish on ice or it would spoil quickly, having no cooler on the yak with me, they loaned me some cooler space till I left  :smt001

I had a great time and learned alot, including:
--if you dont have a fish finder, get one (I'm saving up)
--use a line counter, cause others might be letting you know how deep the fish are
--corn tipped bugs seem to slay em, tie 2-4 above a jig or weight and get doubles
--jigs do work, but are better with oil scent on them
--Kokanee blow up like rockfish when caught from deep
--Kokanee need to be put on ice immediatly or they'll spoil

On my way home I picked up some bugs, scent oil, a line counter, and super sharp hooks for the jigs  :smt001
Probably going back out in the morning, with new stuff and a cooler full of ice...

dinner shown below
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
That is a beauty of a koke! The fight they put up is always awesome. They are probably schooled up real tight for the spawn attempt.

-Brian G

SaltH20

Rockfish, two words, how'd she taste?
MMMMMMMM

briansierra

Here's a column from my local paper, the Sierra Star:

http://www.sierrastar.com/columnists/phabram/

Kokanee fishing slows a bit

Catch of the Day

By Paul Abram

(Updated Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 2:30 PM)

From chrome to crimson

Hi everyone. I have been out fishing in the high country so much this spring and summer, I haven't had time to write much. But, now that it is time to start fishing Bass Lake again, I thought I had better get out the news on one of my favorite topics – Kokanee salmon. As the summer Kokanee season nears its end the fish have already started turning from bright chrome to a crimson color.

This is the first sign that jigging season is approaching. Another sign is when the two-year old salmon start disappearing from the Marina View Cove by the dam. The adult fish that are now readying for spawning get very territorial and drive the younger fish away. Schools are starting to form and trolling gets tougher when the salmon stop feeding and start staging to spawn. This past week has seen slower salmon fishing as more fish start this phase in their life cycle and start racing around the lake to find a mate.

Plentiful, but smaller

Salmon have been plentiful for most anglers this year provided they have been fishing the right areas of the lake from the sheriff's tower to the dam – or, in front of Miller's Landing across to Indian Cove and into the jet-ski area.

Most of these fish will now migrate to the deep water by the dam, schooled up and ready to spawn, wishing they had a river to run up.

The average Kokanee size this year was not the trophy 18-21-inch fish of last season - this year's fish are running 16-18 inches, with a few 19-inch plus. At least five fish boated early this year ranged from 18 ½ - 19 ½ inches.

Jigging for the big ones

The best way to find more of these monsters now is by jigging. What's that you say? Take a weighted jigging lure (make your own out of a medium-sized leaded banana sinker with an eye at each end. Paint it bright pink or orange, tie it to the end of your line and dangle a hook from the bottom eye, and you're all set.

Find a school, note its depth, drop your line down to that depth and proceed to quickly raise your rod tip up about 3-4 feet, and then slowly lower it back down. Repeat this up and down procedure (holding on tightly to your rod) until a salmon strikes. Then, sit back and enjoy an amazing fight. Please release your prey after tiring and netting it – spawning salmon are not very good eating anyway.

And, if you want to guarantee yourself a great day of jigging for salmon, hire a Bass Lake professional like Todd Witwer – check him out at www.kokanee.net, (559) 779-2429. And here's hoping to share your next Catch o' the Day.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 01:35:42 PM by briansierra »

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
last nights fish was super tasty, I guess its still early enough in the spawn that they're still firm...
landed 4 this morning, kept 3 bright fish, let the biggest and darkest go.  The bald eagles and osprey were out and about this morning, even checking Sam and I out  :smt001

The hot lure of the day was a pink stinger about 18" above a pink jig at 50'

BTW, Todd the guide is super nice, if you want on some good fish, look him up for sure!!

more gratuitous fish below...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:25:05 PM by rockfish »
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

gotbaitgofish

• gotbaitgofish
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
got saltwater

anything