Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:21:34 PM]

[Today at 06:47:15 PM]

[Today at 05:06:27 PM]

[Today at 04:14:59 PM]

[Today at 01:34:22 PM]

[Today at 11:23:51 AM]

[Today at 11:17:48 AM]

[Today at 07:34:09 AM]

[Today at 07:11:13 AM]

[Today at 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 08:37:46 PM]

[March 15, 2024, 07:02:38 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: A sticky for ocean newbie questions?  (Read 106395 times)

dreamcatcher

• Salmon
  • fish catch eat repeat
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
 I was out the other day and saw a newbie who was tying off to seaweed on the side of his boat,that can be dangerous in big swells, it can roll you over in no time at all. I suggest a line tied to the front of the yak with a carribeaner at the end. It can be used as a tow line and keeps the yak stable and stationary. I use a line about 12 to 15 ft to allow for surge and swell.
Respond to life as if it is the first day of your life and the last day of your life.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I was out the other day and saw a newbie who was tying off to seaweed on the side of his boat,that can be dangerous in big swells, it can roll you over in no time at all. I suggest a line tied to the front of the yak with a carribeaner at the end. It can be used as a tow line and keeps the yak stable and stationary. I use a line about 12 to 15 ft to allow for surge and swell.
If I do tie up to kelp, i usually toss a strip of kelp on my foot peg and press my foot down on it.  Release is easy, just lift my foot!  Although I have a kelp clip now, I still haven't tried it out.   :smt005
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Ross

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Mooch says: I use the Fox 40 pealess whistle

What I wanna know: Do they make a Fox 40 peeless wetsuit? Why oh why didn't I buy one with a relief valve?

ianh

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I have been fishing off of a 9'8" longboard with a milk crate bungied on the front.  I always wear a full wetsuit, booties and sometimes a hood.  I only go out a half mile or less so I don't have a radio or compass.   

Two days ago the wind push me over a rock covered with kelp.  I knew the rock was there and thought I could float over it.  The swell surged and my fin must of caught the rock and I did a slow roll and ended up swimming in 54 deg water.  I flipped my board over, grabbed a floating plastic jar that had fallen out, threw the jar back in the milk crate and climbed back on and continued fishing.

For me the most dangerous situation is getting in and out of the water.  With a surfboard I can get through heavy shore break if I time it right.  But adding a milkcrate full of fishing gear changes everything. 

I've surfed for many years and the worst situation is getting out of the water at high tide (5  to 6+ ft) with heavy surf - this is when the waves can sweep you off your feet and then slam you into the sand.

I've been having a lot of fun fishing, but the ocean is a dangerous place and you need to know your limitations.

Chubasco

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
    SMOKE FLARES....For daytime. I've been broke down in the bay. Private boat.
Shot off flares, you realy can't see them in the day.
Smoke flares you can see for miles and most boaters know red or yellow smoke means help.   

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Excellent sticky lots of great info for newbies like myself.

Thanks for sharing.

Antonio
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

halibutking

• Sand Dab
  • if there's water, ill fish it!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
is there a list of things that is required by law that you need on your kayak to be in the ocean?  can somebody who knows post this please.. thanks..
Berryessa Salmon Slam 3 champion
Berryessa Brawlin 2nd place

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Love the info that is shared here!

surfingdude

• Salmon
  • Silence is golden and duck tape is silver
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I did not see "space blanket" in this thread...less than 5 bucks everywhere ,, doesn't have any weight,,can be used when wet and cold to warm you  ..also if stored in PFD it would make a very visible thing to use  as a  signal when looking for a rescue ....even drunk fishing boat captains tend to see giant silver things splashing around in the distance.

Raynman10

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Extreme gratitude for all the input. I had no idea how I had put myself in harms way. I was out today trying to troll for stripers off McNear's brickyard in a swim suit & PFD and not much else on the list! I may be new and dumb but I did JOIN NCKA!
Bless you all

ybloc

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
I recently took a lvl1 safety kayaking class and got a farmer john 3.0 wet suit. In the class i practiced self recovery. Im feeling way more confident OTW. Thank you for all the safety tips and trying to keep us safe.
Jackson Kraken

wrangler

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
This is a great thread. Thanks a ton for sharing such a valuable information.

IRPescador

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Another newbie expressing his thanks to the forum for the valuable information and advice available in this post.

is there a list of things that is required by law that you need on your kayak to be in the ocean?  can somebody who knows post this please.. thanks..

I read somewhere here that the net is one of those you're required to have (according to DFG), but besides that, I'm not sure.
The US Coast Guard requires the PDF ??
"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Another newbie expressing his thanks to the forum for the valuable information and advice available in this post.

I read somewhere here that the net is one of those you're required to have (according to DFG), but besides that, I'm not sure.
The US Coast Guard requires the PDF ??

Yep. PFD is required as well....technically even for divers on yak as well...

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

ps...plenty of other important safety gear that you should have that is not "officially required" but that is probably a different thread.  :smt001

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
This is a great thread. Thanks a ton for sharing such a valuable information.
+1
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

anything