Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:36:02 PM]

[Today at 07:50:22 PM]

[Today at 07:21:34 PM]

[Today at 06:47:15 PM]

[Today at 05:06:27 PM]

[Today at 04:14:59 PM]

[Today at 01:34:22 PM]

[Today at 11:23:51 AM]

[Today at 11:17:48 AM]

[Today at 07:34:09 AM]

[Today at 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: A sticky for ocean newbie questions?  (Read 106404 times)

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
"wouldn't go back in because i had a couple of good hookups on live bait "Lings" and was determined to catch one... "

^^ savage! true fishermen ish
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
"wouldn't go back in because i had a couple of good hookups on live bait "Lings" and was determined to catch one... "

^^ savage! true fishermen ish
:smt003
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

tyrannoman

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Does anyone here use a drysuit? I have one, and feel much better in it than my farmer john. It's cooler, breathable, and far more comfortable.

gone_fishin

• Grapegrower
  • Sand Dab
  • Fish on!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
As newbie, all info is greatly appreciated.

Bkayaking

• Salmon
  • "This is my passion..."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
My experience..., 75% of my clients that start to get alittle green around the gills will be fine if kept busy. (From the start) I'll go as far as to say, even having them re-tie a knot, paddling to a new spot, to focusing on a landmark, all seem to help. Talking, etc. Also, I've found that a empty stomach doesn't help. Dramamine is fine, but I'm not a fan.
Blake
Blake
Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Co.

AznYakker

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks for the great info. I'll put them to good use.

fishinfool

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Thank you guys so much for your suggestions. As a newbie myself I find this info so useful. I have compiled all of the suggestions in this thread into one list. Hopefully I have deleted all of the duplicates. This by no means is a list of everything to bring because your yak may sink with everything in it, but it seems to be a complete list of what you may need....

Go with at least one other person who is experienced.
PFD with mirror, whistle, and flash capable lights in pockets in case you drift from yak
Wetsuit or farmer john to keep you warm incase you go overboard, hypothermia kills
Consult and understand the weather forecast (nws.noaa.gov).
practiced self-rescue in your kayak before going.
Have a marine radio and know how to use it.
Compass
GPS
Water
Spare food
Electrolyte pack for h20
Spare paddle
Sunscreen
Bilge Pump
12v Battery
Tether everything that you do not want to lose.
Flare gun
canned air horn
hull full of pool noodles
First Aid Kit
Tow Rope
Strobe
Dramamine
leave a float plan with a friend or family member of where you launched and are going
Dive knife
Polarized sunglasses
Dielectric grease on all electrical connections
pair of pliers for removing stubborn hooks, preferably with nips in case you hook yourself.
Spare paddle tucked inside the hull.
vhf radio
hydrosilk shirt
hydrosilk socks
neoprene shoes
sunscreen
paddling gloves
hat
Tethered as much equipment as possible
GPS / Fish finder
Swim Flippers
Fish holding glove
Bat gaff
rods, reels, small tackle box.
swiss army knife
6' length of 500 lb. test line (stringer)

sharky

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile monkeyfacenews
  • Date Registered: May 2007
I agree w/ PJ.

There are different levels of danger and I for one want to frontload the remedy to the ones that kill the quickest.
I used to live in Seattle and I learned there that fisherman who went overboard often died of cold despite having good flotation gear. In fact, when the water was 49-50 degrees they died in 20 minutes!!! Down here we are what? 54 degrees?  That means you die 5 minutes slower?
Now the cold water kills faster then anything and flotation gear can only save you from drowning. if you are to get top-side again pretty quick, fine....
 if not, the only thing that would save anyone is a wetsuit.
I prefer a 6.5 mm farmer john in winter and a 3mm in summer. It floats you and keeps you protected from the strength sapping, freezing water. For me its far, far better then a PFD.
The PFD may keep you face up and safe from drowning if you're knocked out but you still better be pulled out of the water w/in 20 minutes if you are gonna live.
A PFD and a wetsuit fills the need indeed. Between the two, I feel much safer in a wetsuit then the legally mandated PFD.
Safe and warm topside you now have lotsa time to save yourself from the other threats.
Steve
Plus, if you get battered in the rocks, it helps to reduce injury.......... and if a shark bites you you taste so bad that he doesn't return. The suit also holds your wounds together like a burrito.

Doesn't return...OK I made that up.

Agreed, and I can tell you from personal expierence, the suit did hold me together like a burrito, and was another important factor in saving my life.....Dosent return...hehe....it did follow me for awhile, but didnt attack again. might have been the wetsuit but i beleive it had something to do with the black eye Id just given it and my high blood/tequila levels from the night before. Yes I credit getting $417face the night b4 4 being a factor in saving me :beer2  :shark

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

dreamcatcher

• Salmon
  • fish catch eat repeat
  • View Profile
I wear a farmer john wetsuit,booties,a windbreaker over a longsleve tee shirt and either a knit cap or a floppy hat w/ sunglasses.
 That's the standard for me to feel safe and warm.Keep all your gear stowed away and or leashed.Remove all hooks and lures before landing, and always try to yak with a buddy who knows the area well.Exit the water one at a time just in case you need help at the shoreline. Tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. Call them when you're back to the truck and give a report. Remember to bring the bait and a big stringer! :smt003
Respond to life as if it is the first day of your life and the last day of your life.

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I say limit the number of leashes. i see too many guys with too many leashes. all that leashed up gear can entangle you. it can also prevent you from getting back into your boat. i only leash my paddle.

joey

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
a couple beers will provide good carbs to burn on a long paddle and good entertainment if the bite isn't wide open!
we can't always catch fish, but we can piss our girlfriends and wives off every weekend we get a chance.

PizzleFry

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
I say limit the number of leashes. i see too many guys with too many leashes. all that leashed up gear can entangle you. it can also prevent you from getting back into your boat. i only leash my paddle.

Newbie here who leashed everything (two rods, net, paddle) on my first trip out.  My buddie short hooked a fairly large black rockfish and I used the net to secure the catch, but I immediately realized the situation: his fish in my net tethered to my boat and he wanted to take his time dealing with the fish.  Not to mention we were drifting toward a wash rock.  I convinced him to deal with the fish quickly (i.e. "if you're gonna bonk it bonk it now!"), but then the situation got stickier.  His paddle leash somehow got tangled in the net leash (can anyone say "newbie cluster f*ck"?) as we neared to within one decent swell's ability to put us on the rock.  My buddy was fumbling trying to untangle the mess and I had had enough.  Out came my knife, the leash was in two, and we were paddling away from the rock.  I will be the first to admit that it was probably operator error or bad judgement or (likely) a combination thereof that put us in this situation, but I definitely learned the potential for dangerous situations resulting from over-leash-itis...
Why are coho smolts so tasty?

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I had to use the compass yesterday when the fog rolled into Tomales Bay in the afternoon.  It's one thing to be able to see the glow of the sun to find East but another to set a heading with a simple compass and land at the right place.  I forgot my GPS but the compass was a real comforting factor when I realized I couldn't determine direction by sight.  I have one that's made for kayaks that stretches across the front of the bow with bungie cords that clip onto stainless rings I installed.  Don't leave home without one!  The fog can come in really fast!

Martin

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

Newbie here who leashed everything (two rods, net, paddle) on my first trip out.  My buddie short hooked a fairly large black rockfish and I used the net to secure the catch, but I immediately realized the situation: his fish in my net tethered to my boat and he wanted to take his time dealing with the fish.  Not to mention we were drifting toward a wash rock.  I convinced him to deal with the fish quickly (i.e. "if you're gonna bonk it bonk it now!"), but then the situation got stickier.  His paddle leash somehow got tangled in the net leash (can anyone say "newbie cluster f*ck"?) as we neared to within one decent swell's ability to put us on the rock.  My buddy was fumbling trying to untangle the mess and I had had enough.  Out came my knife, the leash was in two, and we were paddling away from the rock.  I will be the first to admit that it was probably operator error or bad judgement or (likely) a combination thereof that put us in this situation, but I definitely learned the potential for dangerous situations resulting from over-leash-itis...

Nice keeping your head while major bad mojo was in the works...and whipping out  with the knife!!!  Hell Yeah!!!  way to correct a F'ed up situation......... :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome