Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:42:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Two Pole Question about Sand Dab & Ling Cod Fishing  (Read 740 times)

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have never had two poles on the yak yet but I am just trying to understand the rules. Checked the Fish and Game site but it is a bit confusing.

Can I have one pole rigged up with say 4 sand dab hooks and fish for Lings with the other pole?

If I catch Lings or Rock Fish and they are on the yak can I use a four hook setup for dabs after I have caught the lings or am I limited to two hooks for dabs?

All these rules are a pain!

Loren

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Yes you can have a 4 hook dab rig set up but not fishing it and fish for lingcod with the pole set up with 2 hooks.

No, you cannot fish with the 4 hook rig for dabs if you have lingcod on board.  You also cannot fish on the seaward side of  the waypoints for the depth restrictions for RCG if you have lingcod on board.

The most restrictive rule always applies whenever you are fishing for a species with hook restrictions, depth limits, etc. and it continues to apply to all fishing if you have any of those species on board.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Amen to that. Prolly the easiest way to "remember" is to write all length requirements, sub-limits, etc., etc.,on the back of a hawg trough/measuring device and always carry that with you.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Amen to that. Prolly the easiest way to "remember" is to write all length requirements, sub-limits, etc., etc.,on the back of a hawg trough/measuring device and always carry that with you.

That's a pretty good idea!

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017

I have a laminated species ID card and also laminated and taped a depth, species limit, and length requirement to the inside of my hatch for easy reference.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010

I keep the rules on my phone note app and a PDF regulations also. Then I try to review for the area I am fishing before I go. Whatever you write it on make sure its easy to make changes when the regs change.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

TenCrabs

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Okay, so would it be okay to fish for dabs first then come in and fish for lings? That sounds okay to me or am I missing something.

Here is another idea I was thinking of which I see no problem with...

If I were fishing for dabs could I have a crab snare on another pole and fish with that. I see no problem since there are no hooks involved with the crab rig.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Okay, so would it be okay to fish for dabs first then come in and fish for lings? That sounds okay to me or am I missing something.

Here is another idea I was thinking of which I see no problem with...

If I were fishing for dabs could I have a crab snare on another pole and fish with that. I see no problem since there are no hooks involved with the crab rig.

Yeah that’s the norm. Fish deep first to get your dabs or salmon or whatever it is you’re out there, then come in and get your RCG and lingcod. If you do have a salmon on board, in addition to using a barbless hook to catch it, you have to stay barbless the rest of the time too.

Yeah crab snares are fine. Make sure it only has 6 loops on it.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I've done just what Crash has pointed out and discovered I really like fishing barbless for the rock fish and Lings!  So much easier to unhook a nasty toothed Ling when it's barbless.  While I've lost a few, I've never not caught a limit either.  Plus it makes it super easy to send small ones back down, give some slack and they are released as well! 
Anyone making lead jig heads with barbless hooks for swim baits?  While I do file 'em down, would make it less of a question if they were barbless to begin with. 

anything