Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:45:35 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Truck Rack Recommendations  (Read 4595 times)

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
so i just picked up my very first truck.  i figured if im going to do some house work myself, a truck would be very practical.   itll be replacing my gti pumpkin  since i havent driven it for months, i only use it when i go fishing or on an outdoor adventure.

the truck is a 2005 Toyota Tundra reg cab long bed (8 foot)  i picked it up from a buddy as a project vehicle.  once its fixed, itll be my primary adventure vehicle.  which wont be driven much either.

im trying to plan on how i will be transporting my kayak and gear.  and i have been thinking about a few options.  i know i have done a search and have seen a few very old threads about this dilemma.  but hopefully i can get better tips now, and maybe there's something new nowadays that i may not know about.

option 1:  ladder rack with 2 cross bars

this is the cheapest way to go.  for a while i thought that's all i may need, but id like to hear from those who have this and their experiences, pros and cons.

option 2:  full lumber rack

i have been leaning a little more on this setup, but i may not know of any hinderances this rack might have.  please any tips from experience.

i know both racks may have a small clearance for the bow if i load it upside down, but i can just easily transport it stern in front.  i have a thresher 155, and the front hatch sticks up a couple inches.  but it being a long bed, im assuming the bars will be about 8 feet apart.  thus requiring much less overhang vs. shorter beds/bars.

thule, yakima, and the home depot racks (forgot the name)  were also an option, but i dont think i want to spend that much money on it.  not about the money, but i just dont want to put suck nice equipment on this "okay" truck.

also need tips for loading as well.

and im assuming some padding on the bars would be recommended as well? if so, what do you use?  im thinking going with some padded grip tape, maybe a few layers.

thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 03:47:55 PM by Fahrenheit840 »
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

JimmyD

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
I have option 1.  Good cheap rack until you want to spend more money.  Holds 2 kayaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
If your'e going Option 1, maybe buy a Rhino kayak loader (assuming your truck has a hitch) for ease of loading. Then just flip it over when the kayak is on top of the bars unless you have a saddle mounted.  As for the lumber rack, I think it might be an overkill for kayaks. You mentioned that you need the truck for house repairs. Are you going to be transporting long (12ft +) lumbers/trims? An 8ft bed is pretty much all you need.
Also, have you considered  a camper shell? It will double as a camper/man van and your gears will be safe locked inside.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Tracrac sr is what I put on my tundra,it's the sliding version so the cross bars adjust to any spacing or slide off when I'm not using them. You can find them on cl for 2-300$. Or the clamp on version is about the same new.

Followgravity

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I got a full ladder rack on my 03 tundra with the standard bed. I found it on Craigslist for I think $300. It is by far the best thing I have bought for my truck. I can throw 20' pieces of lumber up there no worries, and boats are a piece of cake. That being said, when I put my thresher 14 up there the front hatch can rub on the roof of the cab a little. Not sure where it would hit with the longer bed and boat. If I'm going further than my local water I just put a couple foot section of 2x4 between the boat and the front cross bar. Worked like a charm this summer driving to MT then on to TN.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 06:33:05 PM by Followgravity »

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Congrats, Bob! I've been thinking of camper shell (when I buy dedicated kayak / adventure truck).
2015 TI
2017 Outback

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
For bar padding, you can use pool noodle and the tape of your choice or you can buy those nice, nylon covered, velcroed, surfboard/SUP pads (pricey).

I will add that you'll probably want some type of secure lock box for the bed... either a tool box, hard touneau cover, or camper shell.  Stopping off for lunch/dinner after a fishing trip makes you nervous when all your gear is exposed in the bed.

Enjoy!  Sent ya a PM too...
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I put perforated black landscaping drainage pipe on my lumber rack.  Just slit the pipe then wrap onto bars.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

• "Being on the water...it replenishes my soul"
  • View Profile Urban Chicken Consulting
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
We have option 2 on our truck, a used long bed Dodge that had the rack already installed.
Using a friend's pattern, I made a kayak "holder" that installs under the bars out of some 2x8 and carpet. Works great and I can easily remove the kayak holder when we don't need it (and just need the lumber rack). I will see if I can find pictures.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

:smt117
A.K.A. "Pikachu" (according to Rockfish)
2012 Eddyline Caribbean 14

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I use option 1 and find it suits my needs....  Although a shell is nice for camping there are trade offs.

zwilliams

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
+1 on tracrac have had one on my Titan for 12 years. Only weighs 70lbs.with a load rating of 1000lbs.And slides off in a jiffy if you need to park in low parking garage. The best part is it's aluminum so it won't rust like all other racks. Worth ever penny.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Option 1...got mine for $100 on amazon 4yrs ago. Zero complaints. I have black pvc in middle section with pipe insulation to reduce scratching etc. Loading is very easy. I just put my yak in the bed (right-side up with tailgate down), and push down on the stern until the bow clears the front bar then slide it up & forward. Hop in bed and continue sliding fwd until I can put stern on rear bar, then slide it back and flip it over. Takes about 30 seconds.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
thanks everyone for their input.  im leaning most towards pat's method, but i did get tp check out the tracrac in person and its quite beefy.  might go that route as well.

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
after seeing so many different things.  im leaning towards the clamp on style tracrac (tracOne)  it feels extremely sturdy and easy to remove.  but im afraid of the clearance.  does anyone have one on their like-modeled tundra that can send me some measurements.  i want yo know if my thresher's front hatch wouls clear the cab roof if i transport upside down.

also, being its a clamp on, how can i prevent theft of the rack itself?  is there a lock? i know thule makes ones with locks.

as far as loading it, i can kindda imagine how i would be doing it.. but wont know for sure if the method would work until actually doing it.

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle