Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:29:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Another Promar TR-102W 5" Opening Modification  (Read 3700 times)

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
i have some 5" or 6" pvc if anyone is interested.  ill chopp em up when i get the saw

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You might want to hold off using 5" and especially 6" pvc until you do some tests. I think most crabs can get out of those openings. Might as well use hoop nets at that point.
not if they're blocked using rotton cotton.

im going to replace my rings, that i think are too small to comply with regs.

I think you misread the regulations. According to page 50 of the ocean sport fishing regulations, https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=116558, you are still required to have the escape rings.

(c) Crab traps:
(1) Crab traps shall have at least two rigid circular openings of not less than four and one-quarter inches inside diameter so constructed that the lowest portion of each opening is no lower than five inches from the top of the trap.
(2) Starting August 1, 2016, crab traps shall contain at least one destruct device of a single strand of untreated cotton twine size No. 120 or less that creates an unobstructed escape opening in the top or upper half of the trap of at least five inches in diameter when the destruct attachment material corrodes or fails.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:20:46 PM by krusty »

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
i have some 5" or 6" pvc if anyone is interested.  ill chopp em up when i get the saw

You might want to hold off using 5" and especially 6" pvc until you do some tests. I think most crabs can get out of those openings. Might as well use hoop nets at that point.
not if they're blocked using rotton cotton.

im going to replace my rings, that i think are too small to comply with regs.

You still need unobstructed escape rings. I recommend you try this method
instead.  :smt003

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75441.msg860681#msg860681

:violent1: :thefinger:

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Stick with the 5" perma opening and give them something delicious to feed on like stinky giant squids for bait.  That should keep them in there until they are served for dinner.
Sorry for threadjack Tim :smt003
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Why not just have a PERMANENT 5" RING " in there.  My thinking is that when multiple numbers of crabs get in the trap, a majority of them will stay put.  Also gives you another 5" entry point for them to come in.

You're just saying that since you planted that seed in Bob's head in the first place  :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
krusty: Thanks for the clarification, i really forgot to think about the rings for small crabs to escape.

cdm: your idea sucks!

i like the use of my metal clips.  i think i will install a 6" ring on top.  use chicken wire to make a door for that ring with one hinged side. the other side would then be tied using cotton. when cotton fails, the chicken wire will swing down and open up.  what do you think?

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
krusty: Thanks for the clarification, i really forgot to think about the rings for small crabs to escape.

i like the use of my metal clips.  i think i will install a 6" ring on top.  use chicken wire to make a door for that ring with one hinged side. the other side would then be tied using cotton. when cotton fails, the chicken wire will swing down and open up.  what do you think?

Sucks!!!
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile

You should keep it simple and minimize the amount of changes, especially with moving parts. A much easier way to put a door on top of the trap is to make a 5" wide |_| shape cut in the netting, leaving the last side of the opening as the "hinge". Then tie the sides of the door to the rest of the netting with rotten cotton.

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Keeping the original rings where they are on the Promar and just adding one 5 " ring on Top.
On the Danielson, taking out the ring and bending the Tabs to give a 5" opening and that should do it.  No need for twine.
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

Duckguy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014

Brings up a question: Anybody out there tried hoops from a kayak. No Antonio, I don't mean hoop skirts.  :smt003
I thought I'd bring one to Anchor Bay next week and give it shot while fishing nearby.

;-D
Warning! Retiree; Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you about it.

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor G2

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Brings up a question: Anybody out there tried hoops from a kayak. No Antonio, I don't mean hoop skirts.  :smt003
I thought I'd bring one to Anchor Bay next week and give it shot while fishing nearby.

;-D
i do. i actually prefer to use them since i get bored using traps with longer soaks.  I like running around from hoop to hoop a lot more. i use both the flat style hoops and the conical ones.  find they fish well for the shorter soaks i prefer (30 minutes each and lots of F'in pedaling)

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Just as an FYI, I just ordered 2 Promar 102W's from Amazon, they came from different vendors, but both had 5" U shapes cut in the top and were laced closed with one strand of rotten cotton like Krusty was saying. So if you're looking to buy new, they may come already modified.
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

anything