Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:00:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Downrigger - pick the photo where you would mount (and why??)  (Read 2079 times)

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I've been doing downriggers on tracks for about 4 years now. zero issues.  Although Native's tracks and the yakattack tracks i was using are metal.  I don't know if the plastic track that the Pilot uses are up to snuff.  I've heard they have a little flex.

Whoa!  I would be nervous about mounting a downrigger on a plastic track.  I'd be afraid that the track would break or flex and release the downrigger.  Fishi, if the tracks on your kayak are plastic, leash your downrigger to your kayak so if the downrigger comes out of the track, you won't lose it overboard.  I'd replace a plastic track with a metal track.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I have a plastic track, though most of the time I only use 1 lbs ball (which is enough for me to go down to 80 feet for most salmon hunt).  I use 3lbs from time to time and that works fine too just like what bmb said.

However, if I have to do it again, I would definitely use metal tracks.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I have mine mounted very far forward.
It's out of the way and works like a charm.

Do you operate it with your fish-finder battery?  If you do, how's it affect your battery life?

Definitely a cool setup.

Different battery. 10AA set up.
<=>

Tinker

I've been doing downriggers on tracks for about 4 years now. zero issues.  Although Native's tracks and the yakattack tracks i was using are metal.  I don't know if the plastic track that the Pilot uses are up to snuff.  I've heard they have a little flex.

Whoa!  I would be nervous about mounting a downrigger on a plastic track.  I'd be afraid that the track would break or flex and release the downrigger.  Fishi, if the tracks on your kayak are plastic, leash your downrigger to your kayak so if the downrigger comes out of the track, you won't lose it overboard.  I'd replace a plastic track with a metal track.

Google it and you'll see  lot of comments about folks losing things out of plastic tracks when just the right force is placed on the mounts.  I managed to pull a Scotty rod holder out of the tracks on my WS Tarpon with a twisting yank, without using a lot of force, after I read one of those articles.

I saw the photos of Peter's mount before the PhotoBucket kerfuffle, and that's about as solid as solid gets on a plastic boat.  If I ever mount a downrigger, his method of mounting a downrigger is the way I'm going to do it.  Cadillac system, for sure, but I think that in the long run, it's worth the wee bit of extra effort.

anything