Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:09:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Death by no PFD in the Delta  (Read 2565 times)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I would say most Delta area are pretty calm, unless there is rain upriver and/or wind forecast is blowing hard.  But what do I know, the Delta folks overwrite what I said.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So is the delta pretty fierce or what? I grew up surfing in Santa Cruz and am well aware of current. As a medic I am well aware of water that looks like glass but is a torrent below. Seen enough drownings in my life. ETOH would be a major factor quite a bit. So is the delta just that bad of an animal? Seems calm in most video I see. Is there a certian kayak size you would say is needed as a minimum to fish it?
The delta is a huge waterway, the conditions vary on differrent parts of the river so theres no one way to describe it.

The main river channels on the sac and san joaquin move alot of water and are generally unobstructed and relatively deep.  Water flows real well through em and and the flow can really get going in the middle of a big tide. 
It can be particularly bad if the wind is pushing against the tide. You'd be wise to keep a pfd on the closer you get to the bay.

The flooded land tracts are pretty open and shallow, a howling wind can get em white capping pretty bad.  You more than likely wouldnt be fishing comfortably or effectively in these conditions anyway. 

The smaller tributaries and off channel waterways are tame for the most part. Just have to keep an eye out for kooks on jet skis and boat traffic in certain areas. 

Just my opinion but I think most of the fatalities, usually one or two a year, are due to inept or inexperienced folks that panic or exhaust themselves.  Im sure opinions will differ but i think the delta is relatively safe if you use some common sense. 

As far as craft.....ive seen people out there fishing off of chunks of dock styrofoam leashed together with rope and paddled with tree branches....seen those crappy paddle boats, water cycles, float tubes, pontoons and now there's burning man hippies building home made barges out there....its the bayou, if it floats, have at it. 

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

AngleDangle

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
So is the delta pretty fierce or what? I grew up surfing in Santa Cruz and am well aware of current. As a medic I am well aware of water that looks like glass but is a torrent below. Seen enough drownings in my life. ETOH would be a major factor quite a bit. So is the delta just that bad of an animal? Seems calm in most video I see. Is there a certian kayak size you would say is needed as a minimum to fish it?
The delta is a huge waterway, the conditions vary on differrent parts of the river so theres no one way to describe it.

The main river channels on the sac and san joaquin move alot of water and are generally unobstructed and relatively deep.  Water flows real well through em and and the flow can really get going in the middle of a big tide. 
It can be particularly bad if the wind is pushing against the tide. You'd be wise to keep a pfd on the closer you get to the bay.

The flooded land tracts are pretty open and shallow, a howling wind can get em white capping pretty bad.  You more than likely wouldnt be fishing comfortably or effectively in these conditions anyway. 

The smaller tributaries and off channel waterways are tame for the most part. Just have to keep an eye out for kooks on jet skis and boat traffic in certain areas. 

Just my opinion but I think most of the fatalities, usually one or two a year, are due to inept or inexperienced folks that panic or exhaust themselves.  Im sure opinions will differ but i think the delta is relatively safe if you use some common sense. 

As far as craft.....ive seen people out there fishing off of chunks of dock styrofoam leashed together with rope and paddled with tree branches....seen those crappy paddle boats, water cycles, float tubes, pontoons and now there's burning man hippies building home made barges out there....its the bayou, if it floats, have at it. 

Thanks for the info. I will break out my nicest furry boots and get ready fro some wild burning man action. Pasties might make for an odd tan line to explain to the wife though. :smt003

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You gotta think long term new guy....wear your pasties daily and the wife will be none the wiser when you wear em on the occasional jaunt to the dirty d. 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker