Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: carry a spare mirage drive on your Hobie? [updated]  (Read 6061 times)

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
This is where I need your help:  Will someone pa-leaze trade me a decent paddle for my Mirage Drive?  Oh yeah, I have 2 drives so I'm gonna need another paddle. Maybe throw in a tray of frozen bait since that 2nd drive is the 180 kind....
1st in line for the trade. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Best comment ever!

...  Its like you sold your bike because the chain might break and you'd have to walk.  Now you just walk. 
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I just wanna know what kind of translator app Martin is using hahaha...
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I have a TI, and I started bringing the second drive with me as a backup even when I go out by myself. 
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I've had my 2013 mirage drive fail twice. Once, somehow, the fin shaft came out. Was able to fix it on the water with a long nose pliers. fished some and then made it almost to the harbor HMB when it broke again. Some Loctite on the threads fixed it.  I've also had the idler chain get loose and off the track twice. Tightening fixed it. Per good advice I got, hold one side of connection with one pliers while tighten the nut with another plier/wrench so the chain doesn't twist.
Two weeks ago, before launching, the Idler chain was loose and when fixing it I noted that the insulation had worn off at one spot and a couple of strands of the wire braid had snapped. Since I was only going out to the HMB green can I went fishing anyway. When I landed and was loading up, I saw that the Idler chain had snapped. Didn't feel the difference while OTW. Not only did I replace the  Idler Chain - easy - I went  out and got a 2017 Revo with 180 drive.  :smt003

I took the new boat out on the lake for a test drive. Wanted to take my V2 out with me for comparison. I also could not get it into the front hatch, so I left it onshore. Tried it later in the new boat. The V2 with turbo fins is notably faster than the 180 drive with ST fins. ST turbo fins on order. Will see if one drive is faster once I change out the ST fins
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
How soon til we can get a v2 type drive but with a sealed bevel gear instead of a chain and cable assembly?  Might be nice.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
No spare drive for me. <=>.
I have a paddle and a pair of RoRows with me always.
My hands won't get tired and no doubt I'll get back safely to where I need to be.
Remember not to take your MD for granted. Clean it, service it, take care of it and it will take care of you.
<=>

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Remember not to take your MD for granted. Clean it, service it, take care of it and it will take care of you.

How do you service and take care of yours?  I just rinse and spray some WD40.  Curious how others maintain their MD.  thx.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009

How do you service and take care of yours?  I just rinse and spray some WD40.  Curious how others maintain their MD.  thx.

Same here and a little silicon grease to inhibit rust at connection points where cable wire  or metal hardware might be exposed
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
...  I've also had the idler chain get loose and off the track twice. ...

By "idler chain" do you mean the cable that goes over the pulley? If so, I set that really loose and it falls off the pulley once in a while---totally inconsequential.

I took the new boat out on the lake for a test drive. Wanted to take my V2 out with me for comparison. I also could not get it into the front hatch, so I left it onshore. Tried it later in the new boat. The V2 with turbo fins is notably faster than the 180 drive with ST fins. ST turbo fins on order. Will see if one drive is faster once I change out the ST fins

I'll be interested to see how they compare.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
How soon til we can get a v2 type drive but with a sealed bevel gear instead of a chain and cable assembly?  Might be nice.

You can actually order the V2 GT kit to upgrade your V1. Changes the original V1's to V2/GT bearing style clamshells and the idler pulley with bearings. It's an easy fix....I did one last week in about an hour.
Kit comes with the new V2 clamshells, idler pulley, and all three chains....all for the price of the cables alone. You'll need a bit of marine grease and some q-tips to load the bearing to keep them in place while sliding on the clamshells and idler pulley.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:44:07 PM by otobepelagic »
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
You can actually order the V2 GT kit to upgrade you V1. Changes the original V1's to V2/GT bearing style clamshells and the idler pulley with bearings. It's an easy fix....I did one last week in about an hour.
Kit comes with the new V2 clamshells, idler pulley, and all three chains....all for the price of the cables alone. You'll need a bit of marine grease and some q-tips to load the bearing to keep them in place while sliding on the clamshells and idler pulley.

I did this upgrade when the GT first came out. But, no grease for me---instead, I used nylon bearings in place of the provided delrin bearings. Nylon is super-quiet, requires no lubrication, and nylon will lasts forever. The only catch is that it expands ever-so-slightly in water, so I used 1 less bearing rod in each of the bearing compartments (some on the Hobie forum recommend using 1 less rod, even with the stock delrin bearings). GT is a worthwhile upgrade, IMHO.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009

You can actually order the V2 GT kit to upgrade your V1. Changes the original V1's to V2/GT bearing style clamshells and the idler pulley with bearings. It's an easy fix....I did one last week in about an hour.

O2B, once you upgrade, what are the advantages OTW?  What differences do you notice, if any? thx.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

O2B, once you upgrade, what are the advantages OTW?  What differences do you notice, if any? thx.

continued thread jack.. :smt003

The bearings should make the "clamshell" parts of the drive last much longer reducing the sloppiness of the drive. This in turn should keep the chains in alignment ...less noise...less wear and tear on the sprockets etc.
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

Willha

• Salmon
  • "Spearing is the path to enlightenment." --- Lao T
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Best comment ever!

...  Its like you sold your bike because the chain might break and you'd have to walk.  Now you just walk. 
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
----Willha

anything