Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:54:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wanted: Lingcod Recipe  (Read 7245 times)

orkspace

I've made lingcod chowder (yummy) and I've done steamed lingcod (don't bother).  Does anyone have any simple lingcod recipes that have worked out well?  I don't want to waste the fish on my usual (breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper, fry in the pan) cooking method. :-)

Karl

How involved do you want to get in the recipe process? Steaming is not a great method of preperation if you don't have a sauce that will replace the flavor that you have lost in the steaming proccess. In the south of France salt cod is very popular and although you don't have Morue (salt cod), the recipe for Brandade works real well on fresh Cod. It basically involves poaching the fish in a court boullion, saving the boullion and enriching it with an aioli and then serving the fish in a bowl with quite a bit of the thickened boullion on top and a croustade (slice of toasted french bread rubbed with olive oil and garlic). If this sounds too involved, look for something easier, however if you feel like making it I will give you a recipe withfull instructions.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
One of my favorites when I'm in a hurry... very very simple and very very quick.

Put whole fillet in aluminum foil.

Place a few pats of butter on the fillet.

Sprinkle farily liberally with Tarragon and Dill Weed and a bit of cracked pepper.

Close the foil and steam the fish in the foil either on the barbeque or bake in the oven.

Remove the fish from the heat as soon as the flesh turns opaque all the way through.  Any more and it will be overcooked and turn soft.

I like to open the foil for a couple minutes at the end to allow the juices to reduce a bit.

Add salt to taste and a squeeze of lemon if you prefer.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

orkspace

Quote from: Karl
How involved do you want to get in the recipe process? Steaming is not a great method of preperation if you don't have a sauce that will replace the flavor that you have lost in the steaming proccess. In the south of France salt cod is very popular and although you don't have Morue (salt cod), the recipe for Brandade works real well on fresh Cod. It basically involves poaching the fish in a court boullion, saving the boullion and enriching it with an aioli and then serving the fish in a bowl with quite a bit of the thickened boullion on top and a croustade (slice of toasted french bread rubbed with olive oil and garlic). If this sounds too involved, look for something easier, however if you feel like making it I will give you a recipe withfull instructions.

Whoa ... that's involved!  I'm sure that it's delicious though. :-)

When I steam rockfish, I place lemon grass, cilantro, basil, ginger, and/or green onions on top of the fish.  It tastes wonderful!  I serve it with light soy sauce and jasmine rice.

When I tried the lingcod, it just didn't work for whatever reason.

orkspace

Quote from: KzReelRods
One of my favorites when I'm in a hurry... very very simple and very very quick.

Put whole fillet in aluminum foil.

Place a few pats of butter on the fillet.

Sprinkle farily liberally with Tarragon and Dill Weed and a bit of cracked pepper.

Close the foil and steam the fish in the foil either on the barbeque or bake in the oven.

Remove the fish from the heat as soon as the flesh turns opaque all the way through.  Any more and it will be overcooked and turn soft.

I like to open the foil for a couple minutes at the end to allow the juices to reduce a bit.

Add salt to taste and a squeeze of lemon if you prefer.

Erik

That sounds great and it's right at my skill level.  How hot should I have the oven?

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: orkspace

That sounds great and it's right at my skill level.  How hot should I have the oven?

I'm not sure how hot the oven should be... I always do it on the grill at medium / high heat ... in case the foil leaks it keeps the mess in the grill... not the oven.

I suppose 350 might be a good temp to start with.

I've steamed it in a steaming basket this way before too... basted it with Butter a few times while it was cooking... came out fine... but I like it better in the foil.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
however if you feel like making it I will give you a recipe withfull instructions.

Yes please, that sounds very good.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

orkspace

Quote from: KzReelRods
One of my favorites when I'm in a hurry... very very simple and very very quick ...

We had this tonight -- it was awesome!  We served it over cous-cous and had a salad too ... mmm ... brain food for the bar.  

:smt003

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I tried this today with halibut, but I'm sure it would be fine with lingcod as well. Cut the fillets into small strips and cover them in some sort of Cajun spice mix (you can find variations of this at Safeway or Trader Joe's).
 Heat a cast iron skillet with olive oil and fry the fish for several minutes until done...
 I just tried it today, so I don't have it down to a science, but I ate it with homemade salsa and brown rice on corn tortillas...Great tacos!
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Anonymous

Orkspace,

The next time you steam fish, do not add anything until you are more than halfway done. Steam the fish plain or with light soy sauce. When the fish is almost done, dump out the water/sauce. Put the fish back in the pot and add your greens and sauce. When done drizzle hot chili oil on top and enjoy.

If you can get some fresh banana leaves or frozen will do, can be purchased at most asian/mexican super markets.  
Spread out the banana leaf and lay down some fresh thin sliced ginger and green onions. Then fold the leaf into a box like shape where the edges stand up an inch or so, will need toothpicks. Add some coconut milk and some fresh minced garlic and some chili peppers on top of the fish. Then enclose the fish with the banana leaves, put on grill for about ten minutes. When it's almost done take top banana leaf off and add chopped up basil leaves into the coconut milk and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so. Also try with shrimp. Enjoy...