Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:37:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How do you store and transport you PA14?  (Read 4720 times)

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
For all of you PA owners, how do you store and transport you PA?

I was just told by hobie that storing and transporting my PA14 on pvc pipes is a bad idea. I've read multiple forums and this is how some people store and transport their yak. I'm not sure which is the proper way? I transported my PA twice just on the back of my truck with no pvc pipes before and my bottom hull was flat on certain areas. I have not seen any flat spots since I've been transporting and storing on pvc pipes.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
On a trailer with pipe/skid supports in the appropriate places as it weighs two tons, give or take 3 pounds. ;-)
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
One of these might do the trick for that barge!  :smt008

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

garyjwebb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Space the pipes the right distance and you won't have any problems.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
PVC is the way to go,if the pipes are of adequate size it should support and have enough give that it doesn’t leave any dents.i stored and tranported a 14-12’ and it never had any issues
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Space the pipes the right distance and you won't have any problems.

That's pretty much how I store it. I have 2.5 pvc pipes on wrestling mats and the PA sits on it along the skupper lines. I use a 3 inch pvc pipe when transporting it as it clears my truck bed better.

Why would hobie say it's not ok? It seems like a lot of people store and transport the PA this way.

Yes I know, it's a heavy kayak. [emoji23]

Fishyack

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
My 14 lives on a trailer on PVC bunks if you only attach the two ends of the pvc it will conform to the contour of the hull no dents or dings on mine yet also never leave it strapped down tight except during transport.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Hobie probably has to say that publicly due to lawyers.

After seeing lots of guys using the pvc method, I've always wondered...why not just spend a couple extra bucks and get real carpeted trailer bunks?! I mean, we're talking about a significant investment, so why go cheap on the transportation/storage method? It would be smoother to load/unload, produce less scratches, and distribute the weight better.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
One of these might do the trick for that barge!  :smt008
I don't think a heavy lift is big enough, might need to use 2 side by side👍
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
After seeing lots of guys using the pvc method, I've always wondered...why not just spend a couple extra bucks and get real carpeted trailer bunks?!

I’ve got an AI, not a PA, but I think pvc is a better choice as it conforms to the hull shape. It’s also easy peasy to slide the kayak on and off, and scratching is a non-issue.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks fellas. I've been storing and transporting my yak like this for almost a year now. I have not seen any issues (knock on wood).

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I built a small wood frame and attached two 6’ lengths of PVC and glued carpet to them.  When I take the boat off the trailer I take the wood frame/PVC rack into the garage and store the boat on it.  Been working pretty good for two years. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrialandError

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I transport my PA14 in the bed of my Ford Ranger (under the snuptop roof).  I did drop a sheet of 4x6 plywood I covered on one side with padding and outdoor carpet.  Now, my PA slides right in and won't scratch or dent.  I tied down via the rear scupper holes and two brackets I mounted to the inside bed rail.  It looks a bit ridiculous, but is well balanced and I drive it to the ocean three to fives days a week.  Bought is in San Diego and drive it to NorCal as my first trip.  No problems. 

I load and unload using the foam wheels mounted on the middle/balanced scupper holes. 

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
My 14 lives on a trailer on PVC bunks if you only attach the two ends of the pvc it will conform to the contour of the hull no dents or dings on mine yet also never leave it strapped down tight except during transport.

Exactly!
I've stored my PA14 on my PVC bunks now for 6+ years without any detriment to the kayak.  I attached indoor/outdoor carpeting to the PVC bunks to keep abrasion down though.  I glued it on with an upholstery spray glue. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:02:40 PM by Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry »

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
After seeing lots of guys using the pvc method, I've always wondered...why not just spend a couple extra bucks and get real carpeted trailer bunks?! I mean, we're talking about a significant investment, so why go cheap on the transportation/storage method? It would be smoother to load/unload, produce less scratches, and distribute the weight better.
If you cover anything on your trailer with carpet, you'll get more attention from invasive aquatic species inspectors, because mussel larva and plants can hitchhike and survive longer in the carpet.  Attention from aquatic species inspectors is bad.  But what is really bad is that you might transport invasive species in carpet on your trailer.  So don't do it.

anything