Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: carry a spare mirage drive on your Hobie? [updated]  (Read 6064 times)

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
The drive doesn't have "so many problems"... They are actually quite reliable.

reliable ... until they fail :jerk:

Frequency of failure may be low.  Hoover, severity of harm/risq during a failure mode is high.  Sufficiently so that NWM hauls around 9 lb paperweight. 

Aint' no weigh to live bruh

my advice: sell your truck while its still runnin'

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I've owned a few Hobies and I abuse the shit outta them. Never had an issue with the mirage drive. Probably yakfished the salt 100+ times in my previous Hobie (2010 Revo 13). The only thing that ever happened was a slightly-bent fin mast when I slammed into a hidden bridge piling in the Salinas river...but it was an easy fix, just bend it back.
I carry a spare paddle inside the hull. But that's only insurance if my mirage drive breaks AND my regular paddle breaks...which seems unlikely. IMO my old Revo 13 and newer Revo 16 both paddle better than some of the paddle yaks I've owned (i.e., Drifter, Big Game, Malibu2 tandem, Jax Coosa). So the extra mirage drive is just an unnessesary luxury to me...nice to have, but not mandatory.
Did you miss Raydon's post regarding his drive AND his paddle breaking? A backup would be nice if a failure occurs on the water.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Frequency of failure may be low.  Hoover, severity of harm/risq during a failure mode is high.  Sufficiently so that NWM hauls around 9 lb paperweight. 

severity of harm entirely depnds upon what kind of hobie you have and what the wind is doing.  4 miles ain't that bad, even in an outback.  Carry a sail and a paddle and youre in pretty good shape.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

"...severity of harm/risq(sic)"?

Huh?

The worst that can happen is your pedal kayak turns into a paddle kayak and life goes on. That's a "risk" I'm OK with.

If I had an extra drive, I'd probably bring it, too. An extra 9 pounds is barely noticeable on a Hobie, and I could continue trolling in the unlikely event of a drive failure instead of grabbing my paddle and heading for the barn.

So, ya... That is the way I like to live, "bruh"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:23:35 PM by AlexB »

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Take a sail if you are super duper concerned about paddling an outback in the wind.  Cheaper than a spare drive.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've owned a few Hobies and I abuse the shit outta them. Never had an issue with the mirage drive. Probably yakfished the salt 100+ times in my previous Hobie (2010 Revo 13). The only thing that ever happened was a slightly-bent fin mast when I slammed into a hidden bridge piling in the Salinas river...but it was an easy fix, just bend it back.
I carry a spare paddle inside the hull. But that's only insurance if my mirage drive breaks AND my regular paddle breaks...which seems unlikely. IMO my old Revo 13 and newer Revo 16 both paddle better than some of the paddle yaks I've owned (i.e., Drifter, Big Game, Malibu2 tandem, Jax Coosa). So the extra mirage drive is just an unnessesary luxury to me...nice to have, but not mandatory.
Did you miss Raydon's post regarding his drive AND his paddle breaking? A backup would be nice if a failure occurs on the water.
I did see that post. I keep a small emergency paddle in the hull as a last resort.

But really, this line of reasoning is pretty bogus from the start... It's almost he's saying it's safer to be in a kayak with just one mode of power (a paddle) than a kayak with a primary (pedal) AND a backup mode of power (paddle and/or spare drive, or parts+tools to repair the drive on the water)... and in my case a backup to the backup (telescoping emergency paddle).

It just doesn't add up...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:30:01 PM by AlexB »

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I carry a spare paddle inside the hull. But that's only insurance if my mirage drive breaks AND my regular paddle breaks...which seems unlikely. ... So the extra mirage drive is just an unnessesary luxury to me...nice to have, but not mandatory.
I did see that post. I keep a small emergency paddle in the hull as a last resort.

But really, this line of reasoning is pretty bogus from the start... It's almost he's saying it's safer to be in a kayak with just one mode of power (a paddle) than a kayak with a primary (pedal) AND a backup mode of power (paddle and/or spare drive, or parts+tools to repair the drive on the water)... and in my case a backup to the backup (telescoping emergency paddle).

It just doesn't add up...

Now I'm confused (happens often). I didn't see Raydon's post about that happening. I'll search for it later, so I can also learn from his situation/experience.
I have a spare paddle inside the hull. In case my MD and paddle are both non functional.
However, I have also used my "bigass net" to paddle around [that time I forgot my paddle], and it worked surprisingly well. Yet another reason to have a bigass net...as a backup backup paddle.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Schills206

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Outback
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Wait, what?  You sold your Hobie because you were anxious the drive would break and you'd have to paddle it, so you bought a kayak that you just have to paddle?  This makes zero sense to me.  Its like you sold your bike because the chain might break and you'd have to walk.  Now you just walk. 

But whatever...  you probably slay some serious fish on that T11!  Keep killing 'em!

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
sure, operative drive = asset.  but once inoperative OTW, former asset is now a fat liability, suddenly rendering your net really gross.  make cents?

hobies is complicated tho.  Complicated things have more failure modes.  You manetane your spare good or better than your primary?  2 much maintenance for my blud...

my preference now is simply ... keep it simple.  may be the winning suggestion below, pack non-redundant backup:

Take a sail if you are super duper concerned about paddling an outback in the wind.  Cheaper than a spare drive.

Also get real, aint KNOW 1 gon paddle an outback w busted drive > few miles.  flat as saucer + no keel, how you effectively go strate which yo hanzzz all up on dat paddle?  Dont care if u is Michael Phelps or 007, high gunwales + 34" beam = bluddy nuckles after 2 hours.  paddling outbax about as fun as taking the patent bar.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Also get real, aint KNOW 1 gon paddle an outback w busted drive > few miles.

Paging matanaska
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've paddled my Outback several miles on multiple occasions, simply for a change of pace and a good upper body workout. It's not the fastest, but it works just fine. The rudder keeps you going straight... if you need to adjust your rudder, it just takes a second. (Not to mention those of us who started out on paddle yaks know a few tricks to make a good paddle stroke or two one-handed while holding our rods).

Sorry to hear the whole Hobie thing didn't work out for you. I'm real happy with my Outback...

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
sure, operative drive = asset.  but once inoperative OTW, former asset is now a fat liability, suddenly rendering your net really gross.  make cents?

hobies is complicated tho.  Complicated things have more failure modes.  You manetane your spare good or better than your primary?  2 much maintenance for my blud...

my preference now is simply ... keep it simple.  may be the winning suggestion below, pack non-redundant backup:

Also get real, aint KNOW 1 gon paddle an outback w busted drive > few miles.  flat as saucer + no keel, how you effectively go strate which yo hanzzz all up on dat paddle?  Dont care if u is Michael Phelps or 007, high gunwales + 34" beam = bluddy nuckles after 2 hours.  paddling outbax about as fun as taking the patent bar.
Hahahaha, you should've seen Jason-Str8FiSHiN this weekend...

Btw, my old used 2007 Revo or new 2015 drive never failed me yet, but I only fish about 1-3days/week for only 6-12hrs/day...

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Oh sorry, answer to this topic, no I've never carry a spare drive. I have Revo & a paddle & carry a cassette sometimes...
& a drive fits in the Revo hatch, but don't know about Adventure...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:03:51 PM by Uminchu Naoaki »

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
 :smt006
  I've never considered carrying a backup Marige drive on my outback.  Are you concerned it might fall out?  You should have it tethered to the kayak.  I use a short length of SS 1/16" cable and a nice brass hook to attach mine.  Secondly, the cost of a second drive is prohibitive for me. 

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Oh geez, I'm all worked up now, I just don't know what to do. I am ANXIOUS!  As many of you know, I've got a Revo-16, and just bought an Outback w/ the 180 Drive for my wife.

"Dot-nothing" just proved that a possible drive failure is just too big a risk, after all they fail like ALL THE TIME, that I need to avoid progress and go retrograde by turning my Hobie into a paddle only boat.

This is where I need your help:  Will someone pa-leaze trade me a decent paddle for my Mirage Drive?  Oh yeah, I have 2 drives so I'm gonna need another paddle. Maybe throw in a tray of frozen bait since that 2nd drive is the 180 kind....

Okay "Dotty," ready or not, here I come bruh, I'm gonna be paddling...until my paddle delaminates or breaks, or I get too frickin' gassed after 3 hours of paddling.