Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Matrix 17 with GPS  (Read 5439 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I installed GPS on a boat that we delivered with a Matrix 17 installed.  The GPS install came out super clean.  If you want GPS capabilities without all of the clutter, this setup looks great.

The view deckside...

Below deck there is a lot of extra cable between the transducer, the antenna, and the power pack.  I tried to keep it as organized as possible.  

I have been dragging to install a new ff on my own yak, however after installing this though I have to have one. Well thought out by Humminbird and GPS for a little over a $100 seems like a bargain.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So, does the FF use the gps and depth measurements to build underwater topo maps of your favorite fishing holes over time?  Or do they want you to pay some hundred bucks for their proprietary maps?
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Neither.  This is not a chartplotter, but basic GPS.  You can track your trail (Hansel and Gretel), find waypoints, speed, distance, etc , but there are no maps.  It is basic, but would still be great for finding your crab gear, or getting home if the fog rolled in.

I do think the chartplotters that charge for maps is kinda bs, if it won't work with out it it seems like it needs to be included.

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
What kind of battery is in the small pelican case?   And have you had any feedback on how long that battey might power the FF and GPS?

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The case is a tiny Pelican 1010.  Inside are 10 AA batteries.  If you use 2500 mha rechargables that will give you about 14 hours of run time.  This is easily the smallest, and lightest setup I have seen, that still provides good run time.

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Humminbird claims their portable piranhas run for 25-60 hours on 8 AA batteries, depending on wether you use the backlight or not.  Runtime might vary considerably depending on the FF model, with fancier ones drawing more.  

I'm going to try running with a single lantern battery with a boost regulator to give me 12V, that should give me something like 75 hours with no backlight.  If I did that with 4 AAs I guess it'd run my piranha for 10+ hours if humminbird's numbers are accurate.  A dc-dc regulator is similar in volume to a 9V battery and considerably lighter.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Can you list a site or link to where you got the watertight fitting for the battery case?  P/N perhaps for us lazy folks :smt006

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

jamathison

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
That's a nice clean install. I just bought a similar setup online (Matrix 67) and am working up the nerve to start making holes....

What did you use to seal the wires coming thru the hull? It looks like a wireseal won't fit under the GPS.

jprtroy: That looks like a West Marine Wire Seal. Check out the Wire Seals thread started by KzReelRods in this forum, I think it has a link to the part...

cheers,
Al
Green Prowler 15

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I use the grommet that Humminbird provides, and then wrap the cables with foam tape to make it tight.  If there isn't enough room for foam I seal it with goop.

jamathison

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Thanks scwafish, you inspired me to cut some holes in my P15. My install didn't come out as nice as yours, but I'll post some pics anyway....
Green Prowler 15

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
jprtroy - Fry's has a very good selection of waterproof cases. From the little 1010 up to the the ones the size of a briefcase. Fry's would also be a great place for finding grommets etc...

Regards,
Scott

Anonymous

Hey Norcal guys,
I have a Humminbird matrix 27. I bought it for the ability to hook a hand held GPS to it. I have to tell you that I have been less than pleased so far.

1. The transducer is very very sensitive to adhesive or at least goop. I lost a huge amount of sensitivity when I had it gooped to the inside of the hull. I had successfully used this technique on Humminbird wide optics, an older unit, but it did not work on the Matrix 27 very well.

Solution:
 I cut the bottom out of a Tupperware bowl and gooped that to the inside of the hull. I set the transducer inside of the bowl resting directly on the hull. I put a  little water in the bowl to cover the bottom of the transducer and it works great.

2. My GPS loses satellite coverage when my Fish finder is turned on. The Fish finder causes electronic interference negatively effecting the GPS. I called customer service and was told that was just the way it is. No help there.

Solution:
Stretch out the cable to get the most distance possible between the GPS and the fish finder. Works but not an elegant solution nor a clean installation.

3. Factory cable connections corrode in saltwater very easily.

Solution:
None, keep cleaning connections and use dialectic grease

4. Humminbird Factory GPS cable for my GPS, Garmin Gecko broke out the plastic edges on my GPS unit, poor fit.

Solution:
Called Humminbird customer service. Apologized for damage to my GPS and sent out a new cable. Did not offer to replace GPS, but I didn’t ask either.

I think I will buy a combined Fish finder & GPS next time or just stay with separate units. I do like the Eagle Fish Easy II, so that may be my next fish finder

Ed Whited