Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:54:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Need a ling head soup recipe  (Read 1782 times)

bioman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
big Jim and others with more experience, I'm cooking my first Ling today.  Any advice on a good fish head soup or other erecomendatio for the Cabeza?
Thankd much!

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
big Jim and others with more experience, I'm cooking my first Ling today.  Any advice on a good fish head soup or other erecomendatio for the Cabeza?
Thankd much!

I usually wrap the heads and collars in aluminum foil with a pad of butter and some seasoning (cajun, or taco, or salt/pepper/garlic/onion), and bake @400 for 25min(smaller)up to 35-40+min for bigger ones, or until 145 degrees.  There's some good meat on there for soup/tacos/salads etc.  After picking off the good stuff, the scraps go in a stock pot with the frames left over from filleting.  Add some water to cover everything, and seasonings, (I use garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and thyme, but seasoning may differ if you are making something more unique).     Bring everything just barely to a boil, then drop down to a very low simmer with the heat super low.  Skim off any foam that forms, and simmer it for about 45 min.  Strain out the pieces, then use immediately or chill and freeze.  This is a pretty basic stock that you can use for lots of different things, especially if you select the seasonings to be complimentary to your final dish.

I often make a fisherman's soup with a bell pepper, two skinned + cooked sweet potatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes, an onion, and a jalepeno.  (Optionally add some diced sausage.)

Throw a little olive oil in a pan on low/med, then put a few bay leaves and some paprika in there FOR 30 SECONDS or so once it's hot.  Dump in the tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, sweet potato, an onion, and a chopped+seeded jalepeno (+sausage?).  Season the mix with some more of whatever you seasoned the stock with (garlic, salt+pepper, herbs, etc.)  Cover for 10 and simmer on low/med.   After 10 min, add your strained stock and simmer everything for an hour+ uncovered.  Pull out the bay leaves.  At this point you can leave everything as it is, or hit it with an immersion blender to make it smooth.  You can also simmer some boneless fillets in there on low for 7-10 minutes until they are cooked.  Finish with some of the cooked, picked meat from the head and collars if you would like.  I also put a tiny bit of butter or olive oil on top once everything is in the final serving dishes.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:56:21 PM by Tez »

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Sounds tasty and going to give that a try sometime  :smt007

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I have one but it's not written down yet. Every time I make it I just go off of memory and it comes out very flavorful  :smt007

Will do one eventually......

In the meantime I'm sure the head stock would be good in this

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=77329.0
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:17:02 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Thankd much!

I usually wrap the heads and collars in aluminum foil with a pad of butter and some seasoning (cajun, or taco, or salt/pepper/garlic/onion), and bake @400 for 25min(smaller)up to 35-40+min for bigger ones, or until 145 degrees.  There's some good meat on there for soup/tacos/salads etc.  After picking off the good stuff, the scraps go in a stock pot with the frames left over from filleting.  Add some water to cover everything, and seasonings, (I use garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and thyme, but seasoning may differ if you are making something more unique).     Bring everything just barely to a boil, then drop down to a very low simmer with the heat super low.  Skim off any foam that forms, and simmer it for about 45 min.  Strain out the pieces, then use immediately or chill and freeze.  This is a pretty basic stock that you can use for lots of different things, especially if you select the seasonings to be complimentary to your final dish.

I often make a fisherman's soup with a bell pepper, two skinned + cooked sweet potatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes, an onion, and a jalepeno.  (Optionally add some diced sausage.)

Throw a little olive oil in a pan on low/med, then put a few bay leaves and some paprika in there FOR 30 SECONDS or so once it's hot.  Dump in the tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, sweet potato, an onion, and a chopped+seeded jalepeno (+sausage?).  Season the mix with some more of whatever you seasoned the stock with (garlic, salt+pepper, herbs, etc.)  Cover for 10 and simmer on low/med.   After 10 min, add your strained stock and simmer everything for an hour+ uncovered.  Pull out the bay leaves.  At this point you can leave everything as it is, or hit it with an immersion blender to make it smooth.  You can also simmer some boneless fillets in there on low for 7-10 minutes until they are cooked.  Finish with some of the cooked, picked meat from the head and collars if you would like.  I also put a tiny bit of butter or olive oil on top once everything is in the final serving dishes.

I had a huge lunch of left over halibut less than an hour ago and if I had a bowl of this soup in front of me right now... it wouldn't be there for long! Sounds amazing!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Here's a pretty simple and straightforward way to use the head and other random cuts to make a nice soup:

http://spearingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5292

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

bioman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Wow! THanks guys! I can feel the love and smell the fish. Ready to boil my head!

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Tamarind soup base mix (sinigang). Any Asian store has it. Pick up some of your favorite veggies and the directions are on the back of the packet...really that simple.  You'll need some rice though. 

bioman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I think I even have one of those packets in the cupboard. Thanks Spring!

StuManChu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
Heading out to MDO tomorrow and thanks to this thread will be giving these recipes a try if we come across any ling.