Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:44:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Viewing squid on the fish finder  (Read 121 times)

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
This weekend, I was right next to a pb while jigging up squid in Monterey.  He was marking it on his sonar, depth, relative concentration, etc. and on my sonar (lowrance hook5-2 with tripleshot) didnt pick anything up at all - barely saw the bottom at 120' deep.  It was pretty obvious that I was either not using the right settings even though I changed the settings the whole time trying to see them, or the transducer/ff is not working correctly.  Interestingly, one of the settings was "overlay downscan" which was checked, and when I unchecked it, I no longer had signal.  A restoring of factory defaults and a restart got the sonar only signal back, but still, no squid marks.  Increasing the sensitivity just increased noise. 

My questions: what does squid look like on sonar, and is there a specific type of setting that allows seeing them better than other settings?  I usually see big bait balls just fine, but wondering if I am missing smaller ones too.     

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
They look like vertical dash lines on my Striker4 fish finder.   I can take a picture when I go squid hunting next time.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Squid show up as different marks at different times on different fishfinders, sure sign is a cormorant or sea lion surfacing with a squid in their mouth also look for Rizzo’s 
Sometimes they don’t show up at all, don’t be afraid to drop blindly
Typical squid marks include loose scattered “fuzz” on the bottom, gentle curving streaks upwards in light blue (light grey for non-color units), and if they’re abundant they ball up but not like a dark thick cloud of fin bait more like a thin broad fog in the top 2/3’s of the water column

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I m planning to catch some squids tomorrow.   Will post picture of squids marks on the ff.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Todd W

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2022
Here’s a few photos from last may when the squid was thick. The first photo shows squid suspended and spread out, the second is what it looks like balled up on the bottom. This was peak squid season so these marks are really visible, later in the year as it fades away expect most of it to be on the bottom but in much smaller quantities. The marks on the bottom will be 1/4 the size of what you’re seeing in the second picture. Last year we were catching squid in December but it was all on the bottom like the second picture. I’m running a garmin echomap 9” btw. Also knowing the area helps distinguish potential squid marks from other fish marks. Over sand is where you want to be. The squid can be found from the coast guard beach to about a half mile past lovers point. It also comes in in front of the tides hotel. Depths range from 60-140.

Todd W

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2022
Here’s a school of sardines on bottom for reference.

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I had the same issue a while back, and I think the screen goes blank over a certain depth. I was told by Lowrance tech support that I needed to set the depth range that I would be fishing at. I explained that we don’t fish on the west coast at a specific depth the bottom depth is constantly changing. For me the work around was to buy a different FF for ocean use. I still use the Hook in the lakes, and bays.

2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Awesome info guys.  Thanks.  I def did not see anything like that.  That Garmin looks nice.
Mark, what brand did you switch to if you don't mind me asking?