Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:11:37 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 12:09:28 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GS8 - Only one brief capsizing reported - WTG, Everybody!  (Read 121096 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
In.  Would not miss it. 

I love that GS8 is the kickoff to the season.  In so many sports- baseball, football, basketball, etc., the season builds slowly, with time, dedication and strategy building to a crescendo of playoffs and a championship.  We're more like NASCAR.  We put GS8, the Daytona 500 of kayak fishing, right at the beginning.  That way we can just scream through the season at 200mph right from the start.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

cajun

• ACA Instructor/Guide
  • Salmon
  • NOR CAL
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Gonna be a great weekend! Thanks for all the hard work! There are a few of us that know the stress and extreme work required to make a tournament run smooth and You Brother have it down to an art!
Sponsored by: Pacific Outfitters, Native kayaks, Seeker rods. Seigler reels, b2 Squid, Promar. Stohlquist, Lingcod jigs.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I'm ready brother. Rented a house on Lower Pacific for an extended weekend  :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Big Buoy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
This will be our 2nd GS and can't wait, it seem there is nothing like kicking the season off with a bang! Because this is only our 2nd GS does that officially make it annual? The anticipation has been building in my house and I find myself thinking about it more and more. I might go mad waiting for this one boys and girls.

surfingdude

• Salmon
  • Silence is golden and duck tape is silver
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
If I am reading this correct you are using the logo from GS-3 for the shirts and hoodies ....If that is the case can someone please post a photo ..I would like my order in as early as possible...

The Barge

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
Eric,
Thank you for all that you put into GS.  We all appreciate it!  I'm all in for the event!
Lloyd

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: surfingdude
If I am reading this correct you are using the logo from GS-3 for the shirts and hoodies ....If that is the case can someone please post a photo ..I would like my order in as early as possible...

Sorry for not being clear, Kirk.  It'll be an original design but will have the traditional iconic paddler silhouette and the NCKA "linghead vector" as well.  I'll put up the art, but it won't be for several weeks.

:smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Been looking forward to this since GS7!   :smt003

Thanks for all your hard work in making this happen.  See you at the Cove Eric.

If you ain't first, you're last.

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Thanks Eric & family for all you do... :smt007, can't wait for this one, may have to let the little misses come along this time.. :smt003, check's in the mail....

T.L. Tim
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Let's pump up the group pic this year!  I want 200 in it - at least!   :smt003 

Have had a couple questions in PM's that are worth addressing here:

- is the sponsorship requirement meant to keep out people who aren't known to the group?

No, not necessarily, but I can see how it may come off like that.  The sponsorship requirement is a tool that can help us to keep each other thinking about how our actions affect those around us as well as the entire club.  Here is how I described it in a past thread:

It's not hard to get a sponsor.  All you need is someone who has attended in the past who will vouch for your character and agree to intervene if you are involved in any kind of dispute, altercation or other conflict.  It's based on an issue that came up at GS6 where someone was too drunk and caused a scene and then the next day ended up getting in too close to the reef requiring help from other members, one of which endo'd and lost a bunch of gear due to it.  The perp bailed the scene and left the Cove early.  Later online here he was called out, nearly lynched, given a chance to apologize, brought what many considered weak sauce, and was banished....

Anyway, just having the sponsorship program seems to be enough of a reminder to all that we're representing each other to some extent, so there is definitely an air of love and cooperation at the event, in the campground, OTW, on the beach...etc., and the sponsorship program will go on as a symbol of our commitment to treat each other and others around our group with patience and respect at all times.  Thx   :smt001

Second question:  Is the NCKA membership requirement shutting out other groups like NWKA, CCKF, LCKA...etc.?

Definitely not!  If you're coming to fish in Nor Cal - and Shelter Cove is about as Nor Cal as it gets - you ARE a legitimate NCKA member!  It's a free club, so I don't feel that requiring membership is at all an impediment. 

The reason behind the requirement is that, no matter whether a participant is known to others or not, by requiring membership we are afforded some level of assurance that someone coming to the event has been exposed to our culture of safety, accountability, conscientiousness and supportive attitudes. 

Thanks for sending the questions, and be sure to keep asking if you wonder.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
It's hard for me to sponsor someone I have never met so if you need a sponsor go to the crab fest, AOTY ceremony, Berryessa Salmon Slam or NCKA hookup and introduce yourself. Shelter Cove is not technical but the conditions can be difficult. GS5 was in a miserable rain and I was close to hypothermia. You need the equipment and skills to fish it safely. So if you have never been on the salt, you have 4 months to take a class, get the minimum equipment and log some ocean paddling time and practice self rescue. Prepare yourself and start getting out to NCKA events and you should not have a problem finding a sponsor. It's not a barrier, it's safety issue.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Spectacular write up of that hawg salmon Eric.  I can only imagine how special it is to you that you got to share that with your dad.  Great story.  I'm looking forward to GS8.  Gonna go print out the form now  :smt003
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

AbMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Who is doing the team thing this year.  I'm taking applications to be on Team "Dawn Patrol"

chuwy4

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Im in, first time at a GS event. Sounds like the party of the year. Cant wait.