Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GS8 - Only one brief capsizing reported - WTG, Everybody!  (Read 120832 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It's time!  Tomorrow is exactly 3 months / 90 days before registration closes, so don't forget to get your registration and gear order in the mail.  I've attached the rules and schedule, application and qualification sheet, and registration and gear order form to this post.  Please review the information and feel free to ask questions here or send me a PM.  Watch out though, if you don't follow the thread you may miss something.   :smt003  Hint:  keep track of what page you were up to date with...  I'll change the headline, keep an updated roster on the current page, and try to keep adding relevant content as well as prize, season, campground, inn, weather, road and other information.

Changes this year:

- Going back to the old photo catch and release protocol - video was too demanding and hard to deal with at check-in.
- Only devoting prizes and trophies to the top places in the tourney, and the rest of the prize pool will be part of a silent, cash auction to raise money for PIF and HOW on the spot.
- Making the Third Annual Gimme Shelter Gyotaku Extravaganza shirts pre-order, and making it possible for pre-order of a discounted shirt that you sponsor to be available for a kid at the event.
- All gear has gone up $2
- Assembling a group Hike and Dive for Monday's mid morning minus tide along the Lost Coast - The First Annual Gimme Shelter Hike and Dive.
- Printing t-shirts for the Hike and Dive that are available pre-order.
- Launch operator has changed and there is some level of turmoil due to it and the politics around it.  More on that later...
- I will consider capping the number of participants around 250.

Stuff that hasn't changed much:

- GS is all about NCKA - you can't go unless you're a member, and you can't sign up unless you've been before or you're 'sponsored' by someone who has.  (wives and other close family not required to be members in order to register)
- Friday evening safety meeting and check-in at the launch from 5 to 6PM.  Group photo, gear to be handed out, always a great place to see old friends and connect with new ones.
- Excellent pre-fishing dates with the opener on Thursday this year.
- The Tides Inn and others in town are likely already getting full for the weekend - get on it!
- Campground should be the same as other years - we'll get that confirmed and post it here.  What ends up happening is they tell people to just show up - you can either rent your own spot for what seems like an arm and a leg for a little patch of grass, picnic table and fire ring, or you can pay $20/night/person and stay in the large group area they provide.  If you have questions about the campground scene some reading of old GS posts may help you immensely (that's not a curse, I promise!   :smt005 - there are LOTS of pages to go through...)
GS4 - http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=22208.0
GS5 - http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=28025.0
GS6 - http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=35334.0
GS7 - http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=43460.0
- Pacific Halibut season should be open, but possible big changes are coming for 2015...
- Fingers crossed that salmon season will be open and that it'll be another strong projection for the year.
- Abalone season in full swing with fantastic minus tides this year!
- Trophies for the tournament to follow with tradition:  ten inch abs, funky little ceramics, big redwood Trophy Troughs made for the fish of your dreams.
- Gear art following with traditional black t and utilizing orange this year.  Blue hoodies with orange ink will pop.
- Pro Staff opportunities available...   :smt001  Help at check-in = free Pro Staff Hoodie AND free registration, but it requires stopping fishing in time to devote at least 2.5 full hours on the troughs.  Thank you, Volunteers!  The Pro Staff is full (unless you bring something pretty damn sweet!   :smt003)

There's so much to say about GS, and I could probably drain several brews and finish this thread around 3AM, crying, smiling and leaving my heart on the keyboard, but I'll save some of that for the coming months of anticipation.  I'll say this for now:  Gimme Shelter is for my wife and kids and myself a time in our lives that we look forward to each year and all year, and we put more into it than any vacation or fun event we've ever been part of or even known about.  The energy of the group combined with the magic of Shelter Cove has the potential to easily soothe your soul into a possibly precarious position:  that of being so satisfied and pleased and full of brotherhood that you may proclaim it to be the time of your life.  I say precarious because I think we always strive for this but it's not something you just throw out there lightly, and I don't believe I am.  Come have the time of your life at GS.   :smt001
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:18:28 PM by LoletaEric »
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I'm ready to launch!
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Big thanks to this year's premier level sponsor, Malibu Kayaks.  The Grand Prize:

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Forgot to mention crab season too...   :smt001

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Thanks Eric!! I cant wait and will have the forms in the mail this weekend  :)
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

scubaluis

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
I am in, reserved my RV spot about a month ago.

oh yeah!
"If you can not laugh at yourself, make fun of other people"

Stealth Fisha 500
Jackson Kraken
Ocean Kayak
Hobie Adventure
Wilderness System Tandem

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Ok, I'm getting sucked in already...   :smt005

It was September 11, 2006.  Already heavily afflicted with the Madness, I'd been trying to get down to the Cove as often as I could after scoring a fat limit of salmon to 21.5 pounds in July.  The July trip had me paddling "way out" to the PB fleet northwest of the Whistle - it just felt different then.  Felt like a long way and somewhat risky.  That was a long time ago, and catching that limit that day among powerboats who were having trouble getting bit was a huge factor in the development of my yakfishing.

So September 11 I had a brief window of opportunity.  The ocean was flat and wind was down, and if I jammed down there I'd have about an hour or less to fish.  Since it's an hour and fifteen minute drive if I speed I found myself wondering on the way down what the hell I was doing!  I arrived at the Cove and got down to the bottom of the ramp to find a huge 8 foot tide swamping everything - you couldn't even turn the corner at the bottom.  There was a surfer dude there looking for a wave, and I told him of my dilemma - jammed down here and now can't even park!  He says, "the tide's not going to go out in an hour, so just park right there at the bottom of the ramp road.  I did just that.  Got out toward the Bell Buoy trolling my chove.  Picked up a black, tossed it back.  Got another bite.  Thought it was a black too.  Then it showed some strength, and I thought, "oh, a lingcod!"  Then it started peeling line.  When I had my thumb pushing down on that beautiful spinning spool I was like, "this is a salmon!!"  It made that blistering run and as I felt it stop I started to panic - was it off?!  I reeled and felt nothing, so I reeled faster and faster until I caught up to it - it had run at me!  It then did a 180 and ran again.  Again I had my thumb pushing down on that smoking spool!  Then it came back at me again!!  This turn of events was a great piece of luck for me, as this fish tired itself on two distinct runs and returns.  I saw it at the surface about 25 to 30 feet from me, starting to turn sideways with fatigue.  I quickly worked it toward me, got the big net out and scooped it up before letting out an elated victory yell.  The only other boat out was a powerboat over toward the Whistle, and I don't think they knew what had just happened.  It turned out I didn't even know what had just happened! 

During the fight I'd pledged to paddle in and leave for home if I could just get the fish in the net.  Of course, once I did have it secured I HAD to troll just a bit more!  Soon I was heading in though.  I got to the ramp, snapped a couple pics, headed up the hill to get a bag of ice, stowed the fish in my wetsuit with big pieces of a ten pound block of ice around it, and headed for home.  Took care of time sensitive obligations with the wife and kids and then headed over to my Dad's place, excited to show my lifetime salmon coach my prize.  I'd thought when I caught it, "25 pounder!!", as that was about the biggest we ever caught growing up fishing my Dad's dories out of Humboldt Bay and the Cove.  When my Dad put it on his scale and proclaimed 38 pounds I was astounded!  And thrilled!!

That fish and that fight with the double thumbed-spool cemented the Cove as my favorite destination, and salmon fishing from my kayaks has become a lifetime passion.  That's a bit of what Shelter Cove has to offer.   :smt001

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Can't wait til May  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

LoletaEric

• Manatee
9/11/06:

Moose

• Salmon
  • "life must be lived as play" [Plato]
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Rose n` I are looking forward to hanging out with everybody. Thanks Eric for putting this event, its always a good time.
My Dad always said, "You gotta be tough if you're gonna be dumb"!

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Rob, Jim, Luis, Sonny, Harry - welcome back, Brothers.   :smt001

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Wouldn't miss it for the world!  Will be there in May  :smt001
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

scubaluis

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
Thanks Eric.
got me thinking about Shelter Cove, now I go to sleep.  I want to go take inventory of my tackle box gear.
and it is 1 AM :smt044
"If you can not laugh at yourself, make fun of other people"

Stealth Fisha 500
Jackson Kraken
Ocean Kayak
Hobie Adventure
Wilderness System Tandem

LoletaEric

• Manatee
Quote from: scubaluis
Thanks Eric.
got me thinking about Shelter Cove, now I go to sleep.  I want to go take inventory of my tackle box gear.
and it is 1 AM :smt044

I know, Luis!  I'm excited to finally have it up and registration open.  It's amazing how crippled I felt by just not having easy access to some internet and word processing basics for a couple weeks!  Not like I couldn't get them, but to keep from a major inconvenience/expense I had to put part of life on hold for a bit (intended to launch this at or just after New Year).  It made me realize how tied my life is to the net!  That was a freaky realization, but it's all good.   :smt001

NCKA makes GS good.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Can't wait to sneak up on those lobsters.
<=>