Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:37:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is fluorocarbon leader useful for surf fishing?  (Read 1883 times)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I dont think we ever used crimps, even with the steel leaders.  I wanna say it was always just a perfection loop.  Steel leaders have a tendency to kink up, i think we swit hed over to heavy heavy mono mid 90s on the advice of a local skipper.

If youre fishing the bay,  might be a good idea to stick to the sturgeon regs while fishing leooards, never know when an incidental will wander your way. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Can probably get away with 60lb but i like 100lb mono [for leopards].

I have KastKing mono leader in 50, 100, and 150#. The 50 feels relatively thin and flimsy, but easy to tie. The 100 has some heft but I can still tie (some) knots in it. I haven't tried working with the 150 yet, but I think it crosses over into pain-in-the-ass territory. I think the 150 might call for crimps instead of knots, so why not just make a steel wire leader.

I'll make my leopard rigs with the 100# mono.

I use 25lb mono for leopards and have never been bitten off. And I used to fish for leopards a lot. Use the 50 if you don't want to buy more line.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

ryanrs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
If youre fishing the bay, might be a good idea to stick to the sturgeon regs while fishing leooards, never know when an incidental will wander your way.

I was thinking of the Bolinas lagoon, which should be sturgeon-free. Sturgeon hasn't been on my radar, so I haven't done even basic prep like buying a report card. If I run into one, it'll be random chance and I'll have to let it go (then come here and brag about it, of course).

ryanrs

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
A note for those who don't know seven gill sharks basically have a mouthful of razor blades, watch you fingers.

Yep! In this 2008 Chronicle article about tracking sevengills, a marine biologist working with the sharks confirms that "sevengills have the reputation of being snippy and snappy."

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Flouro sinks. Mono floats. No idea if the perch care, but I’ve always used mono.  I’m tempted to try both in the same hole at the same time and see if it makes a difference.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I always use 6lb fluoro perch fishing.   I’ve been using the P-line Steelhead and Salmon fluoro in 6lb test for surfperch...and almost all freshwater fishing.  Prefer the sensitivity, low stretch, and quick sink rate of lighter fluoro. This stuff is best light tackle fluoro I’ve used.  Highly recommend it.  As far as perch are concerned they will take anything.

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
All mono all the time, 30# for Cali halibut, perch and leaperd sharks works fine but might want something heavier in Bolinas lagoon (some fatty's in there).

Never fished for palegics and have terrible "luck" with trout so might try fluoro for those or if fishing clear tropical waters.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:19:45 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

Tinker

Fluorocarbon lines cast shadows identical to a monofilament line on the bottom of the river.  Using it because it's "invisible" is drinking the Kool-Aid.

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
P.S. as someone new to fishing, but with some knowledge of sailing and climbing knots, you fishermen sure pick some hellish materials for your lines. Monofilament, spectra braid, fluorocarbon, and steel wire? Knot masochism is the only explanation.

That's why I've been twisting my own hemp leaders since weed became legal.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
P.S. as someone new to fishing, but with some knowledge of sailing and climbing knots, you fishermen sure pick some hellish materials for your lines. Monofilament, spectra braid, fluorocarbon, and steel wire? Knot masochism is the only explanation.

Is there a Diamondback strain?
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014

Is there a Diamondback strain?

Naw, only staiva strains.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
um...
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

anything