Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:10:13 PM]

[Today at 12:12:45 PM]

[Today at 11:04:28 AM]

[Today at 10:20:34 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:00:47 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:50:56 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 09:10:35 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:03:37 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:34:21 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Loading the Hobie AI/TI with Drill Powered Winch  (Read 2513 times)

Yakety_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Okay folks, I have another video posted. I've been WAY behind on getting videos out. I keep telling myself I can either publish a video or go fishing. Well, that's easy, lol. Go Fishing!! With the bad weather in place and the holidays are here, I am finding more time to figure out my new editing video software. Thanks to a friend, Geoff, he came over and helped me to understand my new software. Much appreciated, Geoff!!

In the link below, I am showing how to load a Hobie TI but this works for any kind of yak. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to reach me by phone, comment on TKF, or even on my YouTube video page. I will be publishing more videos so stay turned. Oh, btw..... please subscribe if you like the video and want to see more soon. I'm going to be posting some older videos as well as newer ones but a fishing video is a fishing video and there is always something to learn from them. Also, another big thanks to James Francis to giving me the idea on the drill powered winch. Without that idea, I would have never thought of making a ramping system. Tight lines!!

PS: I know that I have posted a huge kayak on this video but keep in mind that this works for regular sized kayaks as well. It doesn't matter whether you are fresh or saltwater fishing. The concept still applies. Some people may have a medical reason why they can't lift and this could be a great alternative. :)

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
There is no need to double post.  :smt006

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
There is no need to double post.  :smt006

+1

Just curious how difficult it is to pull the TI onto your trailer by hand. I've got a trailer for my AI, and I've never had any trouble pulling that onto my trailer, and I'm no Charles Atlas.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I guess the idea is that this would normally be done at a ramp with the boat in the water? Looks cool.
I have a 2014 TI, and yours looks like a newer one, which I know is heavier. I thought about trailering when I first bought it, but decided that trailering would really limit where I could take it, plus I've never towed a trailer in my life.

Car-topping has worked out really well. The hull has a little deformation, but nothing serious. One day I think I'll post a video showing me loading and unloading the TI by myself. I could have used that inspiration when debating whether to buy one.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Yakety_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
NowhereMan.... the newer TIs are heavy.  I used to unload everything out of the TI before placing on the trailer.  That was a lot of bending down and back and forth to the SUV.  Now I'm able to leave all the gear on the yak, except for the haka on one side with fish bag and cooler sitting on it, then winch it on to the trailer with no problems.  So much easier!!  :)

Malibu_Two.... If I am at a boat ramp, I treat the TI like it is a boat.  I get half the trailer in the water.  Next, I grab the rope which is attached to the front.  After that, I push the TI back into the water (since the TI is sitting mostly in the water, this is done with minimum effort).  Finally, when the TI has cleared the trailer, I have the person with me pull the TI in when I pull the car up and away.

I used to have a Hobie Adventure.  I used to car top that.  Back then, those kayaks were much lighter.  The new 18' TIs are so much heavier.  I don't believe I would ever want to load one of those on top of my car.  Plus, at 48 years old, I could see my back having problems after that, lol.  If you are able to put a newer TI on top of your vehicle, thumbs up!!  I would be unable to do that.

Gentlemen, thanks for the comments.  I always welcome constructive criticism.  Happy upcoming Thanksgiving!!  :)

Tinker

Just curious how difficult it is to pull the TI onto your trailer by hand. I've got a trailer for my AI, and I've never had any trouble pulling that onto my trailer, and I'm no Charles Atlas.

You're also not from Texas...   :smt001

Yakety_Yak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I also wanted to mention that this method can be used for if you are loading on to the bed of a truck and even on top of a car/SUV.  You will just have to get a little creative on the ramping system.  If you need ideas, please don't hesitate to hit me up.  832-588-7091

Tight lines!!  :)

anything