Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:18:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Well, crap. (2019 Outback Offshore)  (Read 7725 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I have a neoprene gasket on the front hatch of my kraken...works well for me and the kind of paddling etc I do...I would imagine something similar would be pretty easy to custom make...

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

Not to threadjack... but I'm curious about this. People on the Hobie forum insisted that a neoprene cover would not work, so I had to try it, and did not have much luck. To my surprise, I found that a simple "shower cap" made from a plastic tarp worked better. I think the reason that I could not get the neoprene cover to work is because there is no "lip" on the Hobie hatch, so there was no way to tighten it to get a reasonable seal.

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Thanks for the pic of that Nowhereman.  It was different than I pictured.  Looks like you put it right under the existing gasket,  right?

The gal at Kayak Connection did mention that in order for the neoprene cap to work, there needs to be a lip for it to seal around. 

I dont think mine leaks like a sieve, but water does get in.  perhaps a normal amount, I don't have much to compare it to.  After the day last weekend, I am guessing I took on a quart perhaps?  Far from an amount that would sink me,  but I still think it would/should be possible to make it take on 0.  I haven't done anything yet except for tighten some screws that were loose that I know were letting in water.  I know that the gasket around the front hatch lets in a little water was well (I put my phone in there and recorded while I hosed down the front).

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I have a neoprene gasket on the front hatch of my kraken...works well for me and the kind of paddling etc I do...I would imagine something similar would be pretty easy to custom make...

Sincerely,

Jim

Not to threadjack... but I'm curious about this. People on the Hobie forum insisted that a neoprene cover would not work, so I had to try it, and did not have much luck. To my surprise, I found that a simple "shower cap" made from a plastic tarp worked better. I think the reason that I could not get the neoprene cover to work is because there is no "lip" on the Hobie hatch, so there was no way to tighten it to get a reasonable seal.

NWM, the neoprene cover/gasket on mine goes on super tight...there is a pull tab on it to get it on/off....

I have no experience with Hobie hatches so can't comment on them really, but makes sense to me that you would need a "lip" on the hatch for a neoprene cover/gasket/thingy to work correctly...

Not to threadjack either, but you can see the neoprene cover on the hatch here at  1:28...can see how the gasket stretches over the "lip"

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Messing around over on NWKA and saw this cool vid of the 2019 outback I thought you might like...looks like an awesome kayak!

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=20987.0

Apologies if already been posted.  :smt001

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Messing around over on NWKA and saw this cool vid of the 2019 outback I thought you might like...looks like an awesome kayak!

Sincerely,

Jim

Wow. Really digging that video.  My order of favorites on kayaks to purchase has been fluctuating so much...I'm hoping to make it to Kayak City in Sacramento on the 16th and finally test them all out! I'll be talking to them about the hatch too...

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Have you taken your new toy out yet?

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile

yea.  A couple times so far.  I did get some water in mine, but nothing like the guy in the first video.  And, i was intentionally flipping mine, so that could have something to do with it.

I really like it a lot.  it is an awesome kayak.

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018

yea.  A couple times so far.  I did get some water in mine, but nothing like the guy in the first video.  And, i was intentionally flipping mine, so that could have something to do with it.

I really like it a lot.  it is an awesome kayak.

Can you let us know the water conditions that you took it out on? Did you take it out in the ocean or lake? Was it calm or choppy? Did waves break over the bow a lot? Thx

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Sincerely,

Jim

That’s impressive.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Can you let us know the water conditions that you took it out on? Did you take it out in the ocean or lake? Was it calm or choppy? Did waves break over the bow a lot? Thx

Sure,  It was ocean.  When I flipped it, it was in the harbor, so protected.  But then I took it out in the bay in monterey outside the breakwater cove there.  Didnt seem too bad.  I did get some breaking over the bow, but not a ton. 

Trip after that was in Santa Cruz. Launched in the harbor,  made my way over to the kelp beds on west cliff, to fish.  Seemed pretty calm.  A little breaking over the bow when I was moving, but not much when I was just drifiting/fishing.

I am still pretty new, so I am trying to equate forecasts to what I am actually seeing,  in monterey the forecast was for 3 to 4 feet at 12 seconds.  In santa cruz it was 2 at 16.  Oddly,  things seemed more "intense" in Santa Cruz than they did in Monterey.  But both seemed pretty mellow compared to some videos I have seen.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:28:40 PM by Scruzfish »

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
the swell is probably not what you are exeriencing with water over the bow. More likely the chop, called "wind waves" in weatherspeak.  So 2-4 foot windwaves are horrible.  2-4 feet swell (at 16 seconds) you'd never even feel them.  Stoked 4 YOU  Tuesday?  yakfish?

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
the swell is probably not what you are exeriencing with water over the bow. More likely the chop, called "wind waves" in weatherspeak.  So 2-4 foot windwaves are horrible.  2-4 feet swell (at 16 seconds) you'd never even feel them.  Stoked 4 YOU  Tuesday?  yakfish?

Bushy

I'm in!  lets go!

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
2-4’ @ 16 sec ... wind speed? Sounds like a lake
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
2-4’ @ 16 sec ... wind speed? Sounds like a lake

Not sure what the wind speed was.  I have been using the site swellinfo.com.  It does have the wind speed, but Im not sure at what point the wind is an issue.  Not sure if it is the best one, or not, but it seems to be laid out pretty simple.  If there is a different one I should be using, I am all ears.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Swell info is legit I use that along with wind alert.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

anything