Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Well, crap. (2019 Outback Offshore)  (Read 7963 times)

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
He had a bilge pump. Watch the video again.  :smt006
As he stated, he had to stop multiple times to pump the water out.  :smt003

you must've missed around 5:45:00 in the video

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
I only got one person to go back to watch a 12 min video for a response .
Didn't miss anything. Just trying to see how many people would go back to watch this.  :smt044
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017

you must've missed around 5:45:00 in the video

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
I only got one person to go back to watch a 12 min video for a response .
Didn't miss anything. Just trying to see how many people would go back to watch this.  :smt044

This we call backpedaling  :smt005

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
So I have been keeping my eyes peeled on this one.  After my testing, I did get some water, but not a ton.  Still, I feel like it should be do-able to seal it up better.  Reading on the hobie forums, they may upgrade the seal on these kayaks to make it better, but havent confirmed yet.

Here is another test, seems like significantly more intense conditions if you are interested.

Interesting video, but I don't agree with his conclusion, where he says that "3/4 gallon" of water is acceptable. Unless there was a lot more to it that he didn't show, there were just a few rollers over the front hatch, and no way it should have taken on any significant amount of water. Sailing the AI in moderate conditions, the nose gets buried in swells all the time, and I don't get that much water, even after several hours.

Btw, if you want to get some good ideas as to how to better seal the front hatch, I'd suggest that you look at what AI owners have done. A couple of popular fixes are the following:

1) Cut out a yoga mat and fit it inside the hatch cover.
2) Make a plastic "shower cap" to cover the hatch opening before closing the hatch.

I've tried both of these, and 1) worked pretty well, but the mat traps moisture, and I figured it would make it hard to pass mussel inspection, so I gave up on that. Number 2) works well too, but is a hassle when opening and closing the hatch, so I ditched that idea.

What I ended up doing was making a closed loop of 3/4" thin-walled (1/16") silicone rubber tubing and place it in the groove where the hatch cover seats against the kayak. That seems to work best for me, and I don't see any downside to it. I can post a picture if that would be useful.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Thanks Nowhereman.  I would like to see a pic if you have one.

Hobie said they will be issuing a fix for those that are having leakage.  I am guessing it will just be the hatch gasket for the PA that they will give to people with the outbacks.

I talked with one of the folks at Kayak Connection in Santa Cruz.  They said they have a guy who custom makes neoprene hatch covers.  Which is supposed to help with water getting in.  So, perhaps a combo of a better gasket, and a neoprene cover under the hatch lid might do the trick.  That and marine goop on every screw/etc.

It makes zero sense to me that the thing could not be sealed completely, or at the very least sealed to the point where it would never take on water unless completely submerged.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

Uh, is it just me, or does anyone else think after the second water-pumping bilge action in a brand-new boat, I'd turn around and head back to the beach?  Long on gear and short on common sense?  Dude has a retractor for his scissors, FGS!

Bushy
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:26:09 PM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Tinker

It's what you'd expect to happen when you take a bass boat into the ocean...

Bushy

• Administrator
It's what you'd expect to happen when you take a bass boat into the ocean...

ooohhh BURN!

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bushy

• Administrator

Hobie said they will be issuing a fix for those that are having leakage.  I am guessing it will just be the hatch gasket for the PA that they will give to people with the outbacks.

I talked with one of the folks at Kayak Connection in Santa Cruz.  They said they have a guy who custom makes neoprene hatch covers.  Which is supposed to help with water getting in.  So, perhaps a combo of a better gasket, and a neoprene cover under the hatch lid might do the trick.  That and marine goop on every screw/etc.

It makes zero sense to me that the thing could not be sealed completely, or at the very least sealed to the point where it would never take on water unless completely submerged.

And, your boat may not have this problem at all.  One way to tell.  Take it out and get it really wet.

Bushy

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

And, your boat may not have this problem at all.  One way to tell.  Take it out and get it really wet.

Bushy

+1.

I have a neoprene gasket on the front hatch of my kraken...works well for me and the kind of paddling etc I do...I would imagine something similar would be pretty easy to custom make...

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
His qualification of those tiny breakers as washing machine is funny compared to what we launch in. However the wind was blowing pretty hard for early morning. 8 mile round trip within 1-2 miles of shore with more moderate wind and OG ok. 8 miles straight out with that wind - not me. Cause I'm a wussey and a survivor
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Try tomales on a really bad day... that wind Goes!!
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I know the guy who made the video.  He was on the Hobie USA team when I was for the Hobie Worlds in Austrailia.  By no means is this guy a salty offshore fisherman.  He mostly fishes for bass, redfish, and speckled trout so near shore bays and lake fishing.  His offshore experience and lack of preparation not having a bilge pump discredits his opinion on the 2019 Outback. It seems like an easy problem to resolve.  I do want to test drive one in some good swells to see how it handles compared to the older models.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Bushy

• Administrator
I know the guy who made the video.  He was on the Hobie USA team when I was for the Hobie Worlds in Austrailia.  By no means is this guy a salty offshore fisherman.  He mostly fishes for bass, redfish, and speckled trout so near shore bays and lake fishing.  His offshore experience and lack of preparation not having a bilge pump discredits his opinion on the 2019 Outback. It seems like an easy problem to resolve.  I do want to test drive one in some good swells to see how it handles compared to the older models.

Yes, but he will never lose his scissors!!  Thanks for the background.  I guess we know enough to be scared haha

Bushy

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Here's some pictures that hopefully make it clear.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Bushy

Yes, before you do anything, you should make sure there's actually a problem that requires fixing.

anything