General > Craftsmen's Corner

Hot air gun to form Milk Crate?

(1/2) > >>

bioman:
The mirage classic well behind the seat has a rounded bottom (argh!) which means a standard milk crate won't fit snuggly.  I was thinking of softening and forming the bottom of a milk crate to conform to the shape of the well, so it would fit tightly and I could then strap it down.
Anyone tried it, or know how malleable milk crates are to a hot air gun?  Thought I'd ask before destroying a crate.....

Mojo Jojo:

--- Quote from: bioman on June 19, 2018, 04:25:50 PM ---The mirage classic well behind the seat has a rounded bottom (argh!) which means a standard milk crate won't fit snuggly.  I was thinking of softening and forming the bottom of a milk crate to conform to the shape of the well, so it would fit tightly and I could then strap it down.
Anyone tried it, or know how malleable milk crates are to a hot air gun?  Thought I'd ask before destroying a crate.....

--- End quote ---
Oh come on it’s just a crate, heat it up and let us know how it “pans” out.

yatzmail@yahoo.com:

--- Quote from: Mojo Jojo on June 19, 2018, 08:41:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: bioman on June 19, 2018, 04:25:50 PM ---The mirage classic well behind the seat has a rounded bottom (argh!) which means a standard milk crate won't fit snuggly.  I was thinking of softening and forming the bottom of a milk crate to conform to the shape of the well, so it would fit tightly and I could then strap it down.

--- End quote ---
Oh come on it’s just a crate, heat it up and let us know how it “pans” out.

--- End quote ---
:smt044

Hydrospider:

--- End quote ---

I have worked a lot with heat and plastic and have dumped the hot air gun and switched over to a hobby torch with positive results. You just need to work with speed and confidence. A hot air gun will take longer to get the plastic soft enough to shape.
The torch is on the right in the first photo of my plastic welding gear. I may not ever use the hot air gun again after becoming proficient with the torch.
The other photos are of one of my keel repairs that I used the torch to fix.
Good luck with your project and I hope this helps.

Squidder K:

--- Quote from: Hydrospider on June 19, 2018, 10:23:42 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I have worked a lot with heat and plastic and have dumped the hot air gun and switched over to a hobby torch with positive results. You just need to work with speed and confidence. A hot air gun will take longer to get the plastic soft enough to shape.
The torch is on the right in the first photo of my plastic welding gear. I may not ever use the hot air gun again after becoming proficient with the torch.
The other photos are of one of my keel repairs that I used the torch to fix.
Good luck with your project and I hope this helps.

--- End quote ---

I have done something similar and filled the inside of the keel after the repair to ensure it never gives me an issue again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version