General > Craftsmen's Corner

Home made "Wire Baiters" for salmon...

(1/4) > >>

AlexB:
What's up, guys?

Just thought I'd post up the DIY "wire baiters" I whipped up a minute ago. If you don't know, this is the style of hook the party boats use when trolling for salmon. It's a neat setup that lets you fine tune the rolling/spinning action of your bait by bending the wire.

They're made from Owner hooks and aircraft safety wire, and twisted up using some safety wire twisting pliers I picked up from Harbor Freight for ten bucks. 

Keeping myself busy while I listen to the Giants game...

dangalang:
Nice Alex, what size hooks are those?

AlexB:
They're 5/0 Owner Wide Gap Worm Hooks. Some folks on Coastside recommended them.

LoletaEric:
I've been very curious about this setup.  Can you elaborate on how it's used - maybe show how you rig a chovie or herring on it?

Thanks.   :smt001

AlexB:
Hey Eric.

I'm no expert on this setup, but I've watched the deck hands rig them up. You take the wire baiter (not yet attached to your line) and stick the eye end of it up through the baits body cavity starting from its side near the tail all the way up into the mouth. You can prick the skin first with the hook point or a bait threader to make it easier to stick. Then you poke a small tack or toothpick down through the top of its head, through the loop in the end of the wire, and hold it there by looping a little rubber band over both ends.

Then you just snap it on to the end of your line, give it a little bend, and get at it. Nice tight spirals. And you can rig up a few before you head out and just snap a new one on when you need it.

I'm gonna give it a shot. Only out $25 if I don't like it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version