Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: After the rain in Silly Valley 1/6  (Read 734 times)

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
I set my alarm clock last night so I could get up early and hit Coyote before the sun did. Unfortunately I forgot the turn it on after I set it to go off at 5:30 AM.  :smt013 Fortunately for me the lake was blown out after it received more than 8' of water from the last storm.  :smt003  :smt005

It was a mud puddle!!!

So I went up and down the shoreline and did my survey of the lake. It's looking good for the spring. Another 10' would be nice. :smt007

Searched my pockets to see if I had plan B somewhere and sure enough I had one. It was the neighbor lake just a little further north called Anderson. So I waited for Yellowboat to show up to tell him the news. He showed up at about 10 AM and off we went to Anderson.

Plan B looked good

I wanted to make sure Yellowboat would shed the skunk so I slipped him a couple of secret weapons from my tackle box. I then launched and before yellowboat hit the water I had the first hookup and it was a nice 14"er. I thought to myself, it's going to be a good day!

Not! It was not for lack of bites. I had many hits and so did Yellowboat. But setting the hook was another matter. The fish were mouthing the bait ever so lightly that we would pull it out of their mouths every time we tried to set the hook. I must have missed 8 or 9 bites all together.

Yellowboat had to leave early and I stayed for a couple of hours more. I hooked up while Yellowboat was loading the boat in the parking lot to a nice 16".

Missed a couple more bites after that and called it a day. Nice to fish with you again Doug! Next time, well get them for sure. You are due!  :smt002

Bites came at 10-40 fow. Visibility 4'-6' and water temp 52*.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 09:37:55 PM by compa »

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Cool report.  It's hard to get good action this time of year!   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Action was there, but execution was poor. That will be my trainiing grounds to get ready for the early spring pre-spawn bite. Got to give them some more time to take the bait all the way. :smt002

yellowboat

• Sand Dab
  • fishing from a kayak is minimalist and fun!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Compa: Thanks for a great report and all the tips too!! ---Doug

ken fishnfool

• Sand Dab
  • The Best Day Fishing Is Being Out There!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Way to go when it's slow guys!

I hit it Monday for 9 12-14 inchers and a dozen which I didn't hook! (They were teasing me!).

How about trying Calero on this coming Friday or Saturday...the water should be about the same clarity and the fish "should be" bigger? Be sure and bring the secret weapon!

compa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Way to go when it's slow guys!

I hit it Monday for 9 12-14 inchers and a dozen which I didn't hook! (They were teasing me!).

How about trying Calero on this coming Friday or Saturday...the water should be about the same clarity and the fish "should be" bigger? Be sure and bring the secret weapon!
From what I have heard, Calero's visibility is better than Coyote. It would still be very muddy @ 1.5' or so (Can't confirm that).  But you are right, that would make it fishable. I'd be game for Friday.  :smt001

anything