Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Slow pitch rockfishing  (Read 20141 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Too much work for RFs :smt005 doing the slow pitch/jig stuff.
I'm going to try it because it's supposed to be less work. One crank or less on the reel instead of lifting the pole to move the lure. That sounds easier to me.
Yes the rod is so light, and the reel does the work, plus other depth factors involved.
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I'm going to try it because it's supposed to be less work. One crank or less on the reel instead of lifting the pole to move the lure. That sounds easier to me.
Yes the rod is so light, and the reel does the work, plus other depth factors involved.

The slow pitch rods is like fighting the fish with a Kokanee rod except it has more backbone. Definitely a lot of fun.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I decided on the Okuma KDS 463-PLX for $242 delivered after 10% coupon. I also chose the Tsunami TSSP JC-661MH for $70 delivered. Now I need some tackle. Any suggestions on where to order? I’m going to try this on some mackinaw too.

https://www.fishingeureka.com/shop/fishing-rods/tsunami-tsspjc-661mh-trophy-slow-pitch-jigging-casting-rods/

https://www.jandh.com/products/okuma-komodo-ss-baitcasting-reels-kds-463plx.html

I got the reel. Here is a photo of it next to my 300. It is bigger. I use the 300 for sturgeon. I guess if the 463 is too big I can swap them.

Good luck!

Imho, that's a big reel you ordered. I use the komodo SS 300 series so it's lighter.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I found some info on rod selection on this Facebook page.

January 26 ·
Updated my article a little bit.
The rod specs say which jig weight range the rod is the most suitable. But this is just a little indication of the rod action tone. You should not think this is specifically the jig weight you are supposed to use. In reality, jig weigh is not the only factor that the rod works against for actions. Let’s say you move a 500g jig at 3 meters deep. Any rod model can give actions to that jig, as you can imagine. The water resistance factors are very big and there’s no way to indicate that.
So where does that indication come from?
Slow Jerker.
Sato Sensei established slow pitch jigging with this rod. He wanted several action tones and created 3 rods, 603-3, 603-4, and 603-6.
So, what we have to understand is that the lineup was designed under the most common fishing conditions in Japan, which are, about 50m to 100m depth, on the controlled drift by the spanker, the jig weight range from 100g to 300g. In this range of condition, the typical rod action tones have been rated by 4 classes. Power 3, 4, 5, and 6. It just happens to be like that.
Sato Sensei just wanted the softest action tone of 603-3 and this rod power felt to Evergreen like a 3oz jig weight rating (in their conventional jigging rod rating), so it was named 603-3.
As slow pitch jigging grows, Power 5 model 603-5 was added to fill the gap, Power 2 and 1.5 was added since people found fun with the super light rod playing in the calm, shallow conditions, then lately as we go deeper to 200m+ waters with heavy jigs, High Pitch Jerker Light 606L-4 has just been added. When you look at latest Deepliner Logical lineup, they have Power 0 to Power 8. It means that the jigging field has been getting bigger and deeper.
So, the number really doesn't matter, and of course jig weight rating doesn't matter. The typical jigging condition (vertical, 50m to 100m) can be tactically played by 4 different action tones. Slow Jerker set the standard and pretty much every other manufactures are following the standard.
But for outside Japan, you have to translate this into your fishing condition. Especially for staying vertical part. As far as I know, there are no spankered boat outside Japan, with only a few exceptions. Free-drifting mostly. Some do fishing with sea-anchor. Some control drift by going aft.
Depending on how NOT vertical, you should use heavier rod and heavier jig weight than us at the same depth. (Generally speaking of course, as the situation varies drastically by the weather conditions.)
When people ask me what rod model to get for their first slow pitch rod, I hardly recommend Power 3 rod no matter what depth you are fishing. At least Power 4. Power 2 or 1.5 are out of question. I don't know why they are selling them outside Japan.
Remember, at 3 meters deep, any rod can dance any jig weight. Jig weight is not the issue. Don't get caught on the rod specs.
How vertical are you? is the question.

Even if we are vertical on the spankered boat, sometimes the water is heavy because of double layered current and we choose to use one higher power rod, increase jig weight, and/or use lighter line. Slow pitch jigging is the game to enjoy these tactics.
http://www.anglers-secrets.com/rods-and-reels/

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thank you for that.  The rod you got may be just perfect.  Mine, a little light but I will not be fishing any deeper than 100ft as far as I know.  Just trying to determine what jigs to buy.  Two types, S and R...weight?  3oz. to 6oz I suspect.  Thought about making them$$ in the short run.  "Keep it vertical"  let's make some tshirts... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Andy1976

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
It's much easier. The rod does the fighting for you and they're super light.
The world belongs to the energetic. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thank you for that.  The rod you got may be just perfect.  Mine, a little light but I will not be fishing any deeper than 100ft as far as I know.  Just trying to determine what jigs to buy.  Two types, S and R...weight?  3oz. to 6oz I suspect.  Thought about making them$$ in the short run.  "Keep it vertical"  let's make some tshirts... :smt006

I like that T-shirt idea!   :smt003. I may have gone a little heavy but it will be good for faster drift and heavier lures I hope. I might get another one a little lighter for slow drift days.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I missed rod delivery yesterday so I gotta go to the post office and pick it up.  I made some jig decisions and am pleased so far.  Moving two hooks to front and waiting on my black anchovy jigs. 3oz and 4oz, maybe 2oz and 4, I forget...If I got that rod yesterday and had the anchovy jigs I would jig for Hali's tomorrow in the bay but I am trying another sturgeon round.  Big mackerel is 150 grams 5.5 oz
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:43:14 PM by Eddie »

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Those are very nice lures. I went to Hi’s tackle and looked on the Tsunami Slow Pitch rod and looks like a very good baitcast jigging rod

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
"Keep it vertical"  let's make some tshirts... :smt006

This is a design from a friend on the Big Island
He’s got a good vlog on YouTube
SkysDaily808
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
It's much easier. The rod does the fighting for you and they're super light.

Famous Last Words! 

Looks to me like the plus really is in lure presentation, but the minus is in retrieving the fish.  You can short stroke any conventional rod.

bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
"Keep it vertical"  let's make some tshirts... :smt006

This is a design from a friend on the Big Island
He’s got a good vlog on YouTube
SkysDaily808
Sweet...hawaiian style...

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Spiral wrapped strangeness of technology.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Acid wrapped... cool cool.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Eddie Scores BIG!!!!!! :smt003
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420