Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Official GWS Thread  (Read 196207 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
this scares me more than White Sharks......

the Brown Recluse Spider  :smt118

check out the bite marks of these little efers  :smt077

http://www.highway60.com/mark/brs/linda_bite.htm

Joel the thread killer  :smt002
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 03:21:15 PM by Mooch »

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
JTF, you are welcome!  :smt006  :smt005  :smt008

it's easier to stick your head in the sand, it's true. :baby
so don't look!

weirdly the only thing that keeps me awake at night is something
happening to my two boys. the stories of bull sharks killing kids on
the east coast is way scarier to me than GWS here.

I had a recurring nightmare that I was stuck in a flood, and I went to
the garage got a board and put them both on it and we floated off.
of course  they kept falling off, I could not keep them both on!  :smt013

Then we went to mexico for 5 months, we move into a strange house
on a ranch with no phone, no tv, no freaking address and a hurricane
hits us the 2nd night we are there. I was freaking that my nightmare
would come true, I had them in my room with the hurrican raging
and a surfboard ready to float to higher ground.  :smt010

mooch, those brown recluse are scary and did you know there are some new
kinds that came in on a container in seattle? yep. and the guy investigating
them disappeared. no lie! it's a good story... I looked into that stuff before
I loaded my family into a truck and rented our house out for a year...

How about this one: I cleared this from my living room in mexico (which was open on 2/3rd of
the sides) right after a hurricane hit us,

I guess he got washed out of the desert and didn't know where to go.

I took that photo myself, just before I executed him. 
 :smt073 Believe me, that was a TOAD of a scorpion.

my kids got so they would just kind of step over scorpions casually.
"hey mom, don't step there", was an actual quote. my wife thought it was
some peanut butter or something they spilled, she looks, yep, scorpion!

best,

J

p.s. is this poisonous:

yeah, I found one of these too! right outside the kids bathroom! no it's not poisonous,
but many people think it is including mexicans. some also
think it crawls into a deer's asshole and kills it from the inside.  :smt009
it's called a mata venato or deer killer. also sun spider or false scorpion.
these things are weird. their walk alone is scary. legs all different sizes,
going different speeds. SCARY!  :smt003

okay, back to sharks. except I think I might be done for quite a long time.  I got all
the info I think I need. and now you do too!  :smt006 so stop your whining.

I also found out that SA does protect GW sharks, along with Australia and the US.

That was the last question I had.

john m. airey

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I just saw the McAllister attack mentioned on this thread. My 2c is that back when I did my thesis on the population dynamics of GWS the attack in malibu was often referenced since it was the first major attack on kayakers. The details kind of varied from account to account, but there was enough doubt that the shark research community didn't really want to officially classify the event as an attack. The would on Tamara McAllister was a single slash type, and apparently didn't seem like the wound an attacking GWS would inflict. The opinion in the paddling world in the 90's was that it could have been foul play, or even some other type of accident. The paddling instructors I knew up in HMB seemed pretty sure it was some kind of scam. I ended up always thinking that the jury was still out on that one.
I can't let these kinds of things keep me off the water, but if we continue to see a rise in the # of incidents I may need to start shopping for a boston whaler...or at least a fish n dive.
Sean
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I already own a speargun, its too long though for quick access.  Where do I find a boom stick??  I heard they make short ones that strap to your leg.  Is this true, I'm gonna search for one.  Has anyone ever thought of painting the bottom of their yak with the markings of an orca?  I'm really not afraid of a GWS, very respectful though, plus, I just think that in the rare case something should happen, I'd like to have a fighting chance.  I'm sure most people would want that.
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 05:00:15 PM by JTF.. »
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
Mooch is OG

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
sometimes the people closest to this whole thing, the researchers, the kayak guides, the manufacturers,
they have the most to lose based on changes to the status quo, so it's really hard to get a straight answer, or even get
a largely factual thread like this going.

those that know, often aren't telling. it's also an very emotional issue.
and the less intelligent the population cough, so-cal, cough,  :smt003 the less factual you get. hi jim!  :smt003

it's difficult for the average weekend warrier adventurer to get real info.

that's why bill is such a stud, he's pretty independent, his site might suffer some traffic loss, due to scared
kayakers leaving the sport, but then again it might get more because of this thread, hard to say. lake
fishing might become more popular! he probably doesn't want to hear about sharks either, 
but we get to have a largely factual thread on this.  thanks bill.

and for people that are gonna hold what I posted against me cause they didn't want to hear it?
Well, I got enough friends, you want to be my enemy? be my guest. I go through enemies
quickly, I'm always in need of new ones,  :kungfu  :smt005

personally, I think we should end the hippy-dippy pro-shark 'it's their environment' attitude and there should be a limited number
of auctioned kill permits in SA, USA and Australia each year.  it's lame that a fisherman would permanently park his
human powered non polluting (air or noise or water) craft and buy a whaler because they are over protecting the GWS.
That is ass-backwards! To me there's no difference between a parasite like the mosquito or the smallpox virus
for that matter, and an 'apex predator' like the GWS. They are issues that humans can and should (mis?)manage.
I mean I could say that smallpox is an apex predator and that it is needed to control the human population just
like the GWS is needed to control the pinneped population. sounds crazy, but there's some logic there.
Sharks are protected because we think they are cool and we don't mind a few dead surfers each year. that's it.
simple as that.

while I'm rolling, further, there should be some kind of affirmative action for human powered fishermen.
The rules should be relaxed for kayaks and they should be celebrated not punished and forced to
go buy a PB.  :smt011. making a kayak fish by the same rules as a powerboat is weak. make everybody
fish from a kayak, or prohibit powerboats on weekends, the fish will bounce back!

JTF, I also briefly considered, 1. a gun 2. a boomstick, 3. a spear or sword,
but decided the cure was worse than the disease, not to mention probably being illegal.
I did notice that pescadore had a dive knife on his leg in the photo of him and
scwafish salmon fishing. that seems like something I might consider. I already have a
filet knife aboard anyway. A knife stuck in the nose of a GWS chewing on your boat
might scare him off, it might make him mad, but I have no doubt that I am on the side of sticking him
over just quaking in my boots and waiting for him to leave.

I am scared of GWS, no doubt,  a lot of things scare me. But I also think that the
risk of serious injury or death by big fish is not high enough for me to significantly change my habits. 
So go back to the risk calculation before you go off the deep end with radar-jamming and the like.

personally, I think the idea of painting your kayak colors is wishful thinking. If they want to find you
they are gonna find you. You can't hide. They have reports of them
test biting everything from crab traps to 30 foot boats. orcas? yeah, maybe but if a baby orca
dies, you know who eats him don't you? yep, whitey. No my boat is staying proudly unpainted
and yum-yum yellow. I might carry a dive knife, but my main weapon will just be the improbability drive.

best,

j

john m. airey

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
Blue Kayak, JMairey,
I totally agree!  With the both of you.  Although, I must admit I like BlueKayaks views and stances on the situation.  I've pretty much summed this up in my own head,,, that is, this time of year is breeding season for the big guys, here we are cruising around their bedroom, if anyone here was to go in my refrigerator or worse yet open the door to my room, I might just bite them too.  So, maybe I'll just let them get their freak on :smt008 and when their done, I'll sneak back in and do my thing.  Say like on the rock fish opener, yeah, there are plenty of lakes and bays and delta waters to explore during the high risk months.  Hopefully it is a fluke thing.  We shall see.  Maybe all the risk factors is what separates us NCKAnglers from the rest.  Fog, Big Swells, Wind Waves, Ripping Currents, Submerged Rocks and last but not least, WHITEY!  NCKA get some, yeah yeah!    :smt066
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
Mooch is OG

Gowen4bigfish

After hearing every kayaker that's been hit has either white or blue I think that yum yum yellow sounds pretty good choice of color. :smt001

of course I thought for some reason blue would be a great color  I know the chances of being hit are astronomical but know I'll have that lurking feeling is
something about to hit my line or maybe me ? :pale:

that shark camo is starting to look like a damn good idea  :smt023
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 10:00:04 PM by Gowen4bigfish »

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
while I'm rolling, further, there should be some kind of affirmative action for human powered fishermen.
The rules should be relaxed for kayaks and they should be celebrated not punished and forced to
go buy a PB.
Maybe kayakers should be offered first dibs on the GWS permits! :smt002
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
yum-yum yellow in action.

looks like a scan of an australian or SA magazine. don't know if it is a legit photo.

blue, you make good and consistent points. I'm pretty much just collecting info, I don't have any
real point other than the kill-permit idea.

eskimos use harpoons on pretty big animals, you could probably harpoon a great white and huck a
float or three out, just like in JAWS. go Quint go!  :smt005
john m. airey

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
those so-call guys, heh.  :smt005

john m. airey

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

the second one was redone with photoshop by iceman on kayak4fish.com, a well-known
expert so cal kayak fisherman and photoshop ace it appears.
so that is a known fake. pretty good one, it is jim sammons the marlin-catcher himself in
that one. one of the better joke pics I have seen for sure!

the first one, well, a lot of know-it-alls trying to say whether it is real or not. Well, they are speculating.
They don't know. they got 'male' disease where lame-ass opinion is stated as fact. The shadow is the
same or not the same, the refractivity of the water, etc, etc. knuckleheads.

It would be easier to call a few SA kayak magazines and track down the photographer than spend all day debating angle
of refraction and shadow angle, pixel size, with people that are not qualified to offer opinions, etc.

I posted them up because they are current to the thread. This thread will get sabotaged by the jokers-in-denial eventually,
especially photos like the above posted by nubes as real, etc.

just trying to delay that day. although I'm pretty happy I think we put together quite a bit of real info.
john m. airey

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
here's the original of sammons. or is that a fake?  :smt003

john m. airey

miyak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
If you have a strong stomach and have a morbid curiosity go tohttp://www.sharkattackphotos.com/index.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 01:43:46 PM by Bill »

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Wow, the picture of the skeleton wearing shoes is, i believe, the aftermath of a bear encounter (doesn't quite look like a shark attack). If it is indeed the incident I am thinking of, the story goes like this - Somewhere in the woods (Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Canada, etc...) a hunter heard of a grizzly that had not yet gone into hibernation, so he decided to go out and kill it. As it turned out, the bear had not yet gone into hibernation because it was starving and needed more body fat before sleeping for 5 five months, and what better meal than an unsuspecting sportsman! While the hunter was stalking the bear, the bear snuck up behind him, and well, the picture tells the rest.
 That's a bear attack I've read about and the pic looks very familiar to what was described. Those are some graphic images...
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

anything