Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Slow pitch rockfishing  (Read 20077 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Field tested my Tsunami TSSPJ C 701H today.  Conditions were windy 15 mph + and fast drift.  Depth was 30 to 60 ft.  I had a 5.5 oz chrome jig with teaser shrimp fly up top.  Bouncing the jig was smooth and required less effort compared to my Phenix Inshore.  I matched it with an Abu Garcia Toro 50 with regular handles. Next time I am going to switch to a power handle on the Abu.  The rod does not cast as far but very to easy vertical jig.  No more spectra wraps on the rod tip with the acid wrap.
Were the hooks at the head?  What type of jig? Did you drop back down after a few cranks?  Was there a certain depth that was a sweet spot?  Did you full pitch or half or long fall or just go for it?  Anykine way... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Field tested my Tsunami TSSPJ C 701H today.  Conditions were windy 15 mph + and fast drift.  Depth was 30 to 60 ft.  I had a 5.5 oz chrome jig with teaser shrimp fly up top.  Bouncing the jig was smooth and required less effort compared to my Phenix Inshore.  I matched it with an Abu Garcia Toro 50 with regular handles. Next time I am going to switch to a power handle on the Abu.  The rod does not cast as far but very to easy vertical jig.  No more spectra wraps on the rod tip with the acid wrap.
Were the hooks at the head?  What type of jig? Did you drop back down after a few cranks?  Was there a certain depth that was a sweet spot?  Did you full pitch or half or long fall or just go for it?  Anykine way... :smt006
Hook is a single siwash at the bottom.  You can see the jig on the left side of the picture. Its a chrome metal jig I got at ebay.  I did good old vertical bottom jigging by banging metal on the rocks.  I casted out and ahead at the direction I was drifting.  When the jig hit bottom I'd start jigging it towards me.  When the  line is no longer vertical retrieved it and cast over again.  I stayed between 30 to 60 ft because the drift was fast and I can stay at the bottom longer.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:10:26 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Field tested my Tsunami TSSPJ C 701H today.

Nice haul, Mel. Of course, I'd be surprised to see you with anything less.

Y'all are really selling this slow-pitch business. Anyone have negative reviews to share before I jump on the bandwagon?
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Field tested my Tsunami TSSPJ C 701H today.

Nice haul, Mel. Of course, I'd be surprised to see you with anything less.

Y'all are really selling this slow-pitch business. Anyone have negative reviews to share before I jump on the bandwagon?

Thanks for compliment.  My Tsumani rod does not have a hook keeper and a butt cap.  I went to the hardware store for a diy butt cap.
Other than its really well priced.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hook is a single siwash at the bottom.  You can see the jig on the left side of the picture. Its a chrome metal jig I got at ebay.  I did good old vertical bottom jigging by banging metal on the rocks.  I casted out and ahead at the direction I was drifting.  When the jig hit bottom I'd start jigging it towards me.  When the  line is no longer vertical retrieved it and cast over again.  I stayed between 30 to 60 ft because the drift was fast and I can stay at the bottom longer.
I'm imagining paddle kayak having more difficulty staying vertical, was the peddling aspect super essential for your maneuvering to stay vertical?

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm imagining paddle kayak having more difficulty staying vertical, was the peddling aspect super essential for your maneuvering to stay vertical?

Yes pedaling sure helps.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Stinking black friday...got 15% off on new rod because I lost one to the ocean this salmon season.  Went with the same ghost hunter slow pitch rod and upped the specs to 300g jig weight 5'8" length and had them switch the spiral wrap for a lefty reel.  Look out guys, gonna slay those 4lb rockfish like a boss... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Stinking black friday...got 15% off on new rod because I lost one to the ocean this salmon season.  Went with the same ghost hunter slow pitch rod and upped the specs to 300g jig weight 5'8" length and had them switch the spiral wrap for a lefty reel.  Look out guys, gonna slay those 4lb rockfish like a boss... :smt006
heard Lingzilla calling ur number..
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
heard Lingzilla calling ur number..
I'm scared, gotta pound the bottom with a 12oz head, or 3/4oz depending on the fish.  Going vertical in the drift, while on meclazine... :smt005 :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

I'm scared, gotta pound the bottom with a 12oz head, or 3/4oz depending on the fish.  Going vertical in the drift, while on meclazine... :smt005 :smt006
[/quote]

haha!  git em

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Maybe I missed the comment, but in case it hasn't been mentioned, jigs that have some glow to them tend to catch more than those that don't.  I like to make sure mine have absorbed some sun light into the glow paint before dropping them down into the abyss.  Jigs that don't have glow paint, and be modified with a thin strip of glow tape which can be purchased off ebay.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've always liked glow colors...

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I couldn't resist and got an Okuma Hawaiian slow pitch rod.  Dying to try it out when SIP is over.  I got the HCSJ-C-631MH

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I couldn't resist and got an Okuma Hawaiian slow pitch rod.  Dying to try it out when SIP is over.  I got the HCSJ-C-631MH

Please let me know how you like the rod.   I am considering getting one too.

Thank you.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Please let me know how you like the rod.   I am considering getting one too.

Thank you.

Paul

I started with a Tsumani jig rod for about $90. Comparing the 2 rods, the Okuma has higher quality components. I've pulling on it my garage paired with a Lexa 400 HD. Its got a lot more lifting power.

anything