Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Honest opinions about the sport of kayak fishing  (Read 3878 times)

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
It’s definitely not for everybody. Even though I tried really hard to convince all my friends how fun it can be...some folks just don’t like it. This is especially true if you are lazy or don’t have good balance or way overweight or scared of falling in or very old. Or if you just don’t like sitting on your butt in an uncomfortable position for long periods of time. Some people place a lot of stock in their personal comfort level...and boats are more comfortable than kayaks (of course, the most comfortable spot is on the shore, in a recliner at home).
For myself, when I’m fishing nothing else matters [or just matters way less]; I’ll forgoe eating food & using the bathroom, while sitting in a puddle of cold water and fighting against gnarly ocean conditions...IF there’s a chance I might catch a fish! So, personal comfort levels may vary. And I’m not knocking other peoples’ predilection for creature comforts...I’m just stating the obvious: kayak fishing can be uncomfortable. Physically & emotionally.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Pep talk eh? Lol 😂
Yea...you need some peppin'?...salt and pep talk... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Since you're in San Ramon you may want to first kayak the local lakes like Lafayette reservoir and Lake Chabot to name a few.  And rent a yak or buy a low end yak as your first purchase.  My first yak was a Lifetime Tamarack 10.  About $230 out the door from Walmart with oar.  I'll never forget that first launch out of Lake Chabot.  I remember thinking to myself "Oh, now I understand..." You're super low on the water, your ass is basically at water level, so you're immersed in the elements.   :smt007

And before your first trip have access to a good PFD.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Big fish, small boat ... Nothing better than that!
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
It's a life changing sport
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Just do it!!!  You won't regret it, unless your a pussy :smt006..... joking :smt044

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Just do it!!!  You won't regret it, unless your a pussy :smt006..... joking :smt044
Uh oh, you didn't say that, did you mean coward... :smt005

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

A-Rod

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Many excellent and honest replies so far. Some poetic, some funny, but all informative!!

Yes, I definitely need a pep talk, and definitely still need to convince wifey that spending a few $K on another one of my hobbies is a good thing.

I'm pretty sure I'll love the sport because mainly, I enjoy fishing! I don't like the idea of being seasick or flipping the yak, but I can tell there must be something to the sport if these are just considered minor inconveniences to the overall experience. The  passion for the sport is clearly evident and is very encouraging! Plus, your all a strange group, and sadly I might just fit in.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Do it, Do it, Do it!!!! You're gonna be jealous watching Eddie catch all the Sturgeon in San Pablo Bay...
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Since you're in San Ramon you may want to first kayak the local lakes like Lafayette reservoir and Lake Chabot to name a few.  And rent a yak or buy a low end yak as your first purchase.  My first yak was a Lifetime Tamarack 10.  About $230 out the door from Walmart with oar.  I'll never forget that first launch out of Lake Chabot.  I remember thinking to myself "Oh, now I understand..." You're super low on the water, your ass is basically at water level, so you're immersed in the elements.   :smt007

And before your first trip have access to a good PFD.
“Access to a good PFD”? You mean a good PFD securely fastened to your body when on the water. “Oar”? It’ll take a while to live that one down.  :smt044  Stay away from the Walmart kayaks. A used name brand will be better and you can get your money back when your done with it. Your right, being low on the water is a big part of what is so special about the kayak fishing experience.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Do it, Do it, Do it!!!! You're gonna be jealous watching Eddie catch all the Sturgeon in San Pablo Bay...
There are no fish in San Pablo bay :smt044

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
It’s a disease without a cure, I now own 3 adult and one (grandkid) kayaks...... run away.....run away and never look back!!!!  :smt044

Ok it’s a great way to exercise both physically and mentally, I have a bad back, hip and due to a head injury a permanent headache, it’s my salvation it calms my mind helps keep my hip and back moving without weight on my hip (Native propels). It can be a bear after a long day to load your gear and boats  (trailer helps) and then I spend 2-3 hours cleaning everything to wait for it to dry, so I can put it away.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You know how it works, one epic year than an off year of confusion and wonder...unless of course it is epic again...well at least epic for me... :smt005 :smt006...I double dog dare ya' to have an epic sturgeon year.  I want to have an epic dungie year...

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

jdr12345

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
A lot of work but we still do it, win or lose. It's our drug...  :)

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
like any other "thing" there`s hardcore kayak-angling jerks, hardcore  kayak-angling  nice guys, casual slayers and  cliques , the competitive types ,non competitive types , over the top going to get a divorce cause they fish too much and ignore their family types.there`s  the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads  they all get a kick out of it. , they think it`s a righteous challenge

what I hate  : bmb and getting a hook embedded in my hand ,but I cant decide which is worse

what  like : DirtyDave ,Eddy,Rockfish,Bushy,3$J,polepole,Raydon,Ravensblack,LoletaEric,rockroach,Chad,Cabeza,Craig ,TW ,Alex-Bulldog  ,rider,Hojo,SHULAND,Vwool,Big Jim,FishMaster , Sin Coast,NoSoupforU,Ariel,Shifra,Yakhopper,Fisherman X,RockHopper,Fishshadow,Napajustin,Louis ,Josh,ChuckE,Yoda,Crash (even though he likes turtles), Traildad,Scottymeboy,Nick,Annie,Kiel,Tommy,Jingle,Happy Hooker ,H1,Jeff,Rob ,Steve,R bark, Pablo, Darius,Don,texas boy ,Alain,Yakhopper and thats just the off the top of my head..oh and yeah even Bmb ( dont tell him)

:smt005  :smt005

This ^^^^^

Good job Spiffy !!   This one does not need to be deleted ! Oh and don't forget the " Homies ".  :smt001

Or what spiffy said. Especially cliques.  We should have patches made.

This is a good idea.. :smt005
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:31:35 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback