Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:10:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Islanders Conquer the Cortes Bank! - Photo Report  (Read 13820 times)

Aquaman

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I had a great time on the trip.  You NCKA guys are always fun.  The vis was awesome it ranged from 60-70 feet for the majority of the trip.  I spent the entire time diving.  I saw a fair number of yellowtail and I was lucky enough to connect with 5 of them out at the banks.  Most of the fish I saw on the first day were in 45-50 feet of water about 20-30 feet from the surface.  Early on the second day the fish were in 45-50 feet of water and near the bottom.  Then when the current picked up I saw them at about 20 feet.  The current was raging at the end of the second day.  Shane said it was like diving in a river and I would have to agree with him.   I broke a carbon fin blade and tore a 6" hole in my Picasso 7mm suit out at the banks.  Luckily I had a spare 5mm top and fins.  When we got to Clemente I spent a lot of time looking for white seabass, but none were home.  I switched over to halibut hunting and found a 10-15 lbs halibut right on the edge of the surf. I pulled a series of rookie kayak diver moves that started with watching the halibut swim off and ended with me flipping my kayak in the surf.  I lost the only thing not clip to the boat and that was my 55 inch teak speargun.
Here is a link to the YT recipe I was telling Chuck and Dangling about
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/freed1ve/P1050172.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/freed1ve/P1050165.jpg

I want to thank the crew of the islander, they did an exceptional job again.  The sponsors where awesome.  Don's ride there and back was super comfortable and convenient.  Mainly I want to thank Sean and Paul for setting this up.  I hope the long range trip happens next year I would love to go on it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 08:17:52 PM by seahunter »

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I too had a great time.  Being the first yaks ever on Cortez was a cool treat to experience.  Getting to see both faces of Cortez...happy and mad was also very cool.

Many thanks to Kokatat and Kitt for throwing down an insane amount of swag, and to Mark and Wilderness for kicking down a sweet T160...I bet close to $4K in gear was given away :smt104

These guys also worked their butts off to make sure we had a great time...

I caught this little 13# unit early in day 1.  It took about 20 minutes to get tired and another 15 minutes to get it out of the kelp.  You can see where the Spectra was working on him and the kelp...

Kitt put his second fish on the yak right in front of the boat on his way back for lunch.  This was a nice thick 20# class fish...

If these are around 100 miles offshore there truly is no escape.  Fortunately these guys were not as "criminalized" as the dogs at Clemente...

These toothy monsters were sOOOOOooo thick it was hard to fish for YT.  I caught and released dozens of them and kept 7 that were mortally wounded. They were however a blast to catch, and they make damn good poki...

One of the trip highlights for me was catching a bonita off of the Islander and watchingit get chased and snarfed by a 6 foot Mako.  Even more amazing was watching a sealion steal the bonita from the Mako!!!!  Here is the Mako munching on my bonita...

Folks that say it doesn't matter if your boat is well drained have never had to deal with this...

We had a huge crew over for dinner last night to enjoy it while it was fresh.  We had hamachi sashimi (the quality of the RSW YT was insane!!!), bonita and yt poki, YT cooked in leahs hamachi kama sauce (this was sOOOooo good) rice, and two kinds of asian slaw...YUM!

Can't wait until 2009!  We are hopefully going on a 6 day to Cedros where it is stupid with YT.

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Sean, did you use no topshot for your YT's?
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
About 4-6 feet of 25# flouro and that was it.  You could feel the spectra rubbing on the kelp and then popping free, and then tail beats and all kinds of other craziness. I think that fish got tangled in his own mess several times during the mayhem.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Great reports and pics er'body!  :smt007

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Looks like a hellofa trip there guys!! Sounds like everyone had a great time, along with some thrills... Looking at the wet laps, those yellowtails give you quite a woopin!!

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
A few more pics...

This was the second YT I caught on day one.  Also a kelp-monkey and at one point I was sure it was going to be heartbreak...VIVA spectra!  This one was a little bigger at 17#s...

I got my smoke on today.  Left over bonita loins, cute little bonita bellies, yt collars and bellies...YUM!  Put it in the brine before bed. Stuck it in the smoker early this am.

at 5 am...

looking better by lunch...

It went GREAT with a cold Kirin after work...

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
A few more pics...

This was the second YT I caught on day one.  Also a kelp-monkey and at one point I was sure it was going to be heartbreak...VIVA spectra!  This one was a little bigger at 17#s...
I got my smoke on today.  Left over bonita loins, cute little bonita bellies, yt collars and bellies...YUM!  Put it in the brine before bed. Stuck it in the smoker early this am.
at 5 am...
looking better by lunch...
It went GREAT with a cold Kirin after work...

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!
That looks so good.
<=>

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
 :snorting: :snorting: :snorting:Stick a fork in my I am FULL!!! :snorting: :snorting: :snorting:

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
You're killing me SBD.....  :drool

I'll trade you some smoked salmon..  :smt002

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Thanks to all who have shared their experiences and pictures to the rest of us. I
certainly have enjoyed reading all of your reports and envying the pictures
specially the YT. I am so glad that you all had some fun but most of all had come
home safe and sound.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I'm eyeing Justin's sashimi.  Especially the white belly meat!!  Nice presentation.

And that poki looks damn good too.  And smoked collars, OMG!

Please take these pics down now!!!!

Stuart

Aquaman

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I put a little video together so you guys could see what it looked like down there.  There is just bait, no gave fish in the video so don't get your hopes too high.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice.  That viz its nuts, that must have been quite a treat,

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, and one of those plentiful sheephead fellas.  We'll be finishing ours off tomorrow...........yum
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

anything