Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:57:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "donations" made to the sea......  (Read 20552 times)

Mavigator

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Just curious....

How many of you have flipped your yak due to stupidity (or what ever reasons) in the open ocean (or Lake) while surf launching or landing and what did you end up losing (as far as gear)?

For me:
 1) Half Moon Bay - out by the green bouy - lost 2 rods, sunglasses, disposable camera, ALL my tackle. :smt013 I was on a 11ft Cobra Explorer back then....it was stupidity on my part :smt011 I was leaning to the side of the yak to see the Ling that I had hooked - a sneaker wave hit me from the blind side.
2) Davenport - I did not flip the yak but a 15 # halibut I caught wigged out on my lap - as I was calling a friend from my cell - asking for info. on Halibut size limit. As the Halibut gave me an undesired lap dance - I got startled  :smt031 and my cell phone went flying into the ocean. It was the Halibut's fault  :smt097
3) Linda Mar - I was practicing landing the yak on a big swell day (with John and Mike) I was landing backwards - the first wave flooded me and my yak turned to the side. I tried to point the bow towards the second incoming wave but because the yak was flooded - I was not able to turn the bow in time(too heavy to steer) I flipped and lost my sunglasses.
4) Linda Mar - salmon fishing with Erik. I was landing backwards and everything was going fine BUT I did not get off the yak soon enough. I was in knee deep of water when I should have gotten off the yak -instead I stayed on and a wave crashed on top of my bow - sending me to the water. stupidy on my part - did not loose any gear - just pride.

total loss:

2 sunglasses
tackle
1 cell phone
2 rod and reel combo
1 disposable camera
lot's of pride  :smt010
Lost my rod, fish and fear of being Eaten by a White! (At least when I got back on my Yak). Lanyards! Lanyards! Lanyards!

SF Alex

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Limekiln Roll 07

Humminbird 17- smashed
Shimano Trevala rod- gone
Okuma Catalina Reel- gone
Another rod/reel. I forget the type- gone
Net- bent to crap
gaff- gone
stringer- gone
all tackle- gone
sunglasses- gone
lucky hat- gone :smt010
me- cold

Luckily GB2 was there to generously lend me a rod.

Santa Cruz 2006

I threw a rotting herring at Fishcamp's boat. My rod/reel slid off the side while I was busy laughing looking the other way. Karma.. hmmm :smt011

tallpaul

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Weighted sabiki, right down the scupper hole. Sounded like, "bloop, chicka chicka chicka" followed by Damn, followed by me laughing at what a fool I am. Low on the dollar level, just  a wee bit of stoopid.
Always willing to join others in the Monterey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon Bay area for a bit of fishing...feel free to contact me.

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Weighted sabiki, right down the scupper hole. Sounded like, "bloop, chicka chicka chicka" followed by Damn, followed by me laughing at what a fool I am. Low on the dollar level, just  a wee bit of stoopid.

:smt005

"Bloopchickachickachickadamn!" should be the new official subject line for dropped gear.  :smt005
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Limekiln Roll 07

Humminbird 17- smashed
Shimano Trevala rod- gone
Okuma Catalina Reel- gone
Another rod/reel. I forget the type- gone
Net- bent to crap
gaff- gone
stringer- gone
all tackle- gone
sunglasses- gone
lucky hat- gone :smt010
me- cold

Luckily GB2 was there to generously lend me a rod.

Santa Cruz 2006

I threw a rotting herring at Fishcamp's boat. My rod/reel slid off the side while I was busy laughing looking the other way. Karma.. hmmm :smt011

Yeah Alex but you got a nice Mermaid Calstar rod.  :smt003

For me...

Limekiln 2007 - offshore rollover in large mixed swell
St Croix Inshore Rod
Shimano Tekota Reel
$40 Tackle

Limekiln 2008 - massive surf wipeout
Game clip with jumbo verms and ling attached

We could have a whole thread on donations at Limekiln.  :smt005

scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Lost, from the game clip it was securely attached to, one 10-lb silver salmon, my first ever.

Neptune really wanted this fish back.

Chris Mautino was hoisting it on a Boga for photos, when it suddenly self-released.

But Chris has crazy ninja skills.

So onto the game clip it went. For a while at least...

It was early in the day, a rare hot one in Alaska. While working on a sunburn, I put the stringer in the only cool place available, soaking in the 50 degree water (nothing I'd dream of doing in SoCal, but Chris swore it was acceptable practice up north).

As time went on, I gave the salmon some company, a yelloweye with terminal baro-trauma and a bit of eagle bait.

Prior to making a move, I pulled the stringer in. As I lifted it, I heard an odd splash. With horror, I noticed my salmon slowly sinking.

Dropping the (securely fastened) stringer, its payload now reduced to a deuce of rockfish, I grabbed the net and swiped. FAIL. My heart sank as deep as the fish. I felt sick to my stomach at the waste.

Fortunately, fickle fate smiled. I threaded my last herring onto the mooching rig and dropped it. Not 20 yards later I looked back over my shoulder to find the rod doubled up. After a dogged fight, I netted silver #2, a brilliant, thick-bodied fish. We ate it at the peak of freshness. But before we did, we studied the salmon's jaw. I pulled, trying to dislocate it - I couldn't do it exerting any reasonable force. Puzzled, we simply concluded that first salmon was meant to return to the sea. 
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

Timojam

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Pal,
What a great shot of you as you gift that offering back to the sea.  Even better, you can see the enunciation of the word sh&* on your lips. :smt044
Chicks dig that.
Timo

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Pal,
What a great shot of you as you gift that offering back to the sea.  Even better, you can see the enunciation of the word sh&* on your lips. :smt044
Chicks dig that.
Timo

I've never met PAL, so I could be wrong, but I don't think that is him in the picture. 

Great story by the way.  I understand the "sick to your stomach" feeling of knowing game is going to waste.  Although in that instance, it just became part of the food chain again, whether another critter ate it or microscopic organisms got to him.

Michael

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
That's Chris Mautino of Liquid Adventures. Not the quick strike, disaster averted (for a while at least).
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
thought I'd revive this thread  :smt002

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I am not too proud to add the limekiln yard sale.  Same day that Scott lost his epic stringer was my first major yard sale, I lost:

tilley hat
sunglasses
gaff
club
tackle tray loaded with metal
paddle
net
pliers
pride.  :smt003
rod and reels were tied to the yak so not lost but the reels had so much sand in them it was unbelievable.  The drift carried eveything off shore.  PJ went back out and gathered my paddle and gaff.    :smt004

since then I have lost things one at a time.  2 radios, many pliers, a few more glasses, a few cheap knives, a few expensive dive knives.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
net at Paradise...loaned it to Craig for a Butt. Handed it back to me and just let it slip off my lap as I watched.

red lead head jig with big hammer swim bait...oh and it was attached to trevala and revo reel...stupid ling...next time I won't try and let you go!
-Eric Berg

Kayote

• Sea Lion
  • Monkey Faced Sarcastic Fringehead
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
I am not too proud to add the limekiln yard sale. 

Too funny. There has to be a fishing gear graveyard at Limekiln somewhere.  If you find it, could you look for my lucky gaff : Pesca Diablo I and that rod Polygamist Al lost?.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:46:12 AM by Kayote »
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go...........

Fish Flogger

• Wishin' I was Fishin'
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Haha, I love this thread.  :smt005

-FF
-FF

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
 :smt006

:smt044  I'm a rich man now!  Reading about all the stuff donated, that all adds up some pretty good coinage.  Since I haven't been out on the open ocean, I'm saving lots of coinage!
Alas this will change.  (Me not being on the water)

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade