Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "donations" made to the sea......  (Read 20521 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Just curious....

How many of you have flipped your yak due to stupidity (or what ever reasons) in the open ocean (or Lake) while surf launching or landing and what did you end up losing (as far as gear)?

For me:
 1) Half Moon Bay - out by the green bouy - lost 2 rods, sunglasses, disposable camera, ALL my tackle. :smt013 I was on a 11ft Cobra Explorer back then....it was stupidity on my part :smt011 I was leaning to the side of the yak to see the Ling that I had hooked - a sneaker wave hit me from the blind side.
2) Davenport - I did not flip the yak but a 15 # halibut I caught wigged out on my lap - as I was calling a friend from my cell - asking for info. on Halibut size limit. As the Halibut gave me an undesired lap dance - I got startled  :smt031 and my cell phone went flying into the ocean. It was the Halibut's fault  :smt097
3) Linda Mar - I was practicing landing the yak on a big swell day (with John and Mike) I was landing backwards - the first wave flooded me and my yak turned to the side. I tried to point the bow towards the second incoming wave but because the yak was flooded - I was not able to turn the bow in time(too heavy to steer) I flipped and lost my sunglasses.
4) Linda Mar - salmon fishing with Erik. I was landing backwards and everything was going fine BUT I did not get off the yak soon enough. I was in knee deep of water when I should have gotten off the yak -instead I stayed on and a wave crashed on top of my bow - sending me to the water. stupidy on my part - did not loose any gear - just pride.

total loss:

2 sunglasses
tackle
1 cell phone
2 rod and reel combo
1 disposable camera
lot's of pride  :smt010
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:42:12 AM by Mooch »

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I donated a tackle tray to the surf at Natural Bridges.  Luckily, I had the forsight to toss my rods below deck before I got near the beach.  Rolled in the surf in front of a large audience, very embarassed till a kid came up and high fived me for my evil knievel like landing.  :smt003
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Oooh, I took a roll at natural bridges too, only lost my sunglasses though.

Next disaster was on ethan's outriggered kayak.  
We sailed it right into the middle of the beach at bean hollow and got smashed.  I jumped out of the front seat when we hit knee deep water and started pulling, but a 4ft or so wave picked up the whole kayak and sent it my way.  I ducked underwater and let the kayak and all go over me and it hit the beach with enough force to break the 2x4 that attached the outriggers.  Bye bye hat and sunglasses.

Next disaster we sank the outriggered kayak and had to land it in worse surf on a rock reef.  Ethan lost his net, gaff, FF, FF battery, waders (destroyed), probably more.  I lost a nice red that was only secured by my foot.  A 30lb ling that was leashed did manage to stay with us.  The waves only managed to lap at my earlobes on that landing so my glasses and hat survived.

No more riding on ethan's tandem for me...

Next disaster my dad wiped out in big sur.  1 rod/reel/leash/rod HOLDER, and 2 lantern batteries.

Haven't lost a thing since.

I know ethan's lost at least 4 rods on various trips...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
i lost a big gaff at linda mar. but i found a net-kept it, found another net but it was colm's-returned it, gound a club-returned to mike. so i am ahead so far.  but one afternoon my boat capsized twice while i was standing beside it, waiting to get in. my tackle took a beating but it was all tied down.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
I crashed and burned pretty hard coming into the beach at Linda Mar last time I was there.  First big wave flipped me... the second one flipped the kayak again before I could get hold of it.

Lost a hat (which was a freebee anyway) and a pair of cheapo sunglasses.  Had everything else inside my hull or strapped to it.

Because there were hundereds of surfers on the beach and in the water at the time... I guess the biggest loss was a little bit of pride.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Lost one "lap-mounted" rod and reel when a large swell almost capsized me - that's when I learned about rod leashes(duh). Lost various things when I learned to kayak-dive (before I ever thought of fishing from one). The worst one was when I lauched alone from Reef campground, tank dove, then had the wind and swell come up while I was a ways offshore. I was flipping my hatch open and shut between waves to slip things in, when my speargun got caught on other gear half way in, holding the hatch open. The next two swells competely filled the hatch with water, and there was no way to bail it because of the big water. I thought I was going to lose my yak and maybe more. I managed to paddle back to shore (no where near the launch or civilization) and drain the yak. This took a huge effort. Then I relaunched and headed into the 30 knot wind north to the put-in. At one point I stopped to rest and held on to a bull kelp. The next thing I knew, I woke up, still holding on to the bull kelp! I eventually made it to the launch.
      I definitely like to roll at Linda Mar, and this summer it cost me one rod holder, but luckily not the salmon in the same hatch (that would have hurt).
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I lost my weight belt (and my pride) in about 18 inches of water at Caspar this summer.  It was sitting on my yak when a tiny wave tipped it over.  I flipped it back over and kept walking, but didn't realize I had dropped my belt until I had walked just far enough to ensure I'd never find it...DOH!  I looked forever anyways, but to no evail.

Anonymous

two rods and reels tacle box and a pocket knife.  I was being towed  in by my dads bass boat because he didnt wat to wait for me to paddle back into the wind  :smt018   I kinnda leaned to the side and my bow diped under the water thus flipping my boat.

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I'd like to add on to this wonderful thread.....

I just recently found out that one of our comrads was on his way home from a productive kayakfishing / spearing trip...and on his way home, he was going to stop by his aunt's house....he happen to drive past the intended house - so he stopped and put his SUV on reverse....and instantly KILLED 4 MAILBOXES :smt087 .....(including his Aunt's).....needless to say, it turned out to be an expensive day for our dear friend.... :smt011

I'll post a pic of his spear gun trip soon - but I'll need to get clearance first  :smt002

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks Mooch.
Ahh, yeah it was me.  I took out 4 mail boxes all at once.  Was backing up on some country road looking at the houses on the hill (trying to figure out if it was the right road) and CRUNCH!!!!  2 boxes dead on the ground, the other 2 mangled.  Sorry no picts!!

I consider that a non kayaking accident.

As for kayaking losses, this year has been BRUTAL:

ELK:
1 GPS unit ($100), 1 Tackle Box ($10) all lost.  I was paddling out, then backed off to wait for the set to clear.  I was standing on the beach holding on to the yak when a wave came and turned my yak over.  Nothing leased so it was a yard sale.  I scrambled and picked up as much stuff as I could as more waves came the washed gear all over the place.
One more thing, my net broke on that trip too.  Add another ($20) or so.
One more thing again, I lost my Sure Fire E2E HA light somwhere on along that trip.  ($90)
Total Elk Loss:  $220

MOSS LANDING:
Was taking a picture of the mooch battle a salmon.  Put the camera (nikon digital) between my legs and the water in the prowler got into the camera.  Months later and its still dead.
Cost:  $350 New, but that was a few years ago.

Prior to that, a few years ago I lost one pair of sunglasses at Davenport when I got a ling lap dance.

Last year, I rolled at Linda Mar.  Luckily, everything was stuffed!!!

A few years before that, I got nailed by a wave in Carmel.  Luckily the rod was leashed!!!

This has been an EXPENSIVE year.

Stuart

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
despite the loss of expensive mailboxes....Stu managed to spear his first fish.....

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I guess I can update with a couple losses:

Last spring on a spearing trip to stillwater (carmel) I lost a ankle weight because I threw the pair on the front hatch while loading up and being black on black, I didn't see them and launched without securing them.  One fell off in the surf, but the other stayed put.  I've added some lead to my dive knife straps to compensate.  ~$12

A month ago, diving in monterey, I set my gear down on the beach and started portaging stuff to the car.  Returned to find that a sleeper wave had stolen my mask/snorkel.   ~$30
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yeah,
that was the most expensive fish to date.  I'm trying my best to do the Fish Sniffer pose.

As for diving, I had a hard time spotting the school of fish.  I was chillin in the boat when Julie swims over and says "there a big school of fish just glued to this reef.  Get in and shot some".  I was tired and spent from doing A LOT of diving, searching for an elusive hub cap ab.  I relent and say OK.  I dreadfully put on the weight belt and fins and jump in.  I swim over and she says look at em.  I go down a few times but come up blank.  FINALLY I see them.  Because there were on the edge of the viz, they blended in and didn't stand out much.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I go down and "chase" them.  I thought rockfish just hang around, let you swim up and shoot.  WRONG.  They are slowly swimming away as I'm SLOWLY swiming to get closer, w/o spooking them.  When they swim away you don't have a shot because of the small sillouette.  Tiny compared to a broadside shot.
The next dive later, I pick out the biggest, release the safety and squeeze.  Nothing happens.  I come up, and think that I must not have fully released the safety.  Next dive, I go down again, and pick out the biggest fish.  This time I know the safety is off and I squeeze again.  Squeeze harder and nothing happens.  So its time to head up for air on the surface.  I let the fish regroup and catch my breath.

The third time is the charm!!  At the surface, I figured out that the trigger pull is SUPER heavy.  I go down again, slyly trying to get closer and when one of them turns offering a shot, I squeeze like hell.  The gun goes off and the recoil from the bands surprise the hell out of me.  Instantly, I see the fish going nuts and I knew I hit it.  I surface and go down again to make sure the fish is attatched.  It is, so I grab the spear below the tip in between the fish so I know it wont come off.  Julie is stoked for me.  Its high fives!!  I swim over to the boogie board and secure the gun and then swim to the boat and put the fish/spear in the boat and climb aboard.  I’m pooped.  1 shot 1 fish.  A perfect score.  Time to call it quits.  Julie wants me to keep going, but that was enough for my first time.
Her husband Paul shot about 4 or 5 and figured we had plenty of fish for tacos.  (He really wanted to troll for salmon).

Looking back, it was purely beginner’s luck.  I pointed, pulled and just got lucky.  No idea how far away the fish was.  Maybe 8 feet?  At the surface, I was also surprised because the fish was bigger than I thought.  With nothing to compare against, judging distance and size is difficult.

I definitely plan on getting a gun and hitting Carmel next year.  That area had a decent number of schoolie blacks and yellows.  Hopefully they are still there.

Stuart

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Carmel is rich with blues, coppers and kelp rockfish.  Many others as well.
Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

anything