Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTY 2018 Rules - Mouth Open Deduction Decreases to 1"  (Read 3411 times)

Vonsvangoth

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Just signed up again. Aiming for top 10 this year!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'll be happy with top 25 :smt005
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I learned my lesson about getting point deducted from. My AOTY entries.

Zip tying the fishes mouth closed, clubbing them to make easy for measuring (everyone hates fish thrashing about on a hawg trough), take photo, and release.
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Sensitivity police in 3, 2, 1........  :smt002
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I learned my lesson about getting point deducted from. My AOTY entries.

Zip tying the fishes mouth closed, clubbing them to make easy for measuring (everyone hates fish thrashing about on a hawg trough), take photo, and release.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I am modifying Rule 8, The Posing Rule, to state the following:

"8. Posing Rule -All fish .......
No lip grippers, game clips, zipties or stringers can be in the mouth when photograph is taken. Continued violations of the posing rule may result in the disqualification of the competitor. "

:smt003

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
aoty isn't a fishing contest, it is a photography contest.  With nitty old grandmas as judges just waiting to cruelly ban your submission because you are a sad sac, and you disappoint them.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
aoty isn't a fishing contest, it is a photography contest.  With nitty old grandmas as judges just waiting to cruelly ban your submission because you are a sad sac, and you disappoint them.
The goal for us is to make it more of a fishing contest than a photography and posing contest.  That's why my preference is for all fish to be measured and photographed the same, rather than allow for point manipulation.  See the KBF Rules, they're significantly stricter than ours. 

On the other hand, we don't have specific rules on what measuring devices can be used, and let people manipulate tails to lengthen fish.  We set only a small modicum of rules, and hope our competitors try to measure fish somewhat conservatively instead of trying to game the system to earn a few additional points here and there when compared to another competitor's fish.  Doing that will allow the competition to become more friendly, and I hope, more open, than it has been in year's past.  That's the best way to encourage more participation, which is always my goal, since ultimately the funds go to PIF, which is the strongest cause we have in our community. 

Moving too much of the fishing discussion away from the forums and onto social media doesn't help with increasing participation, and it would be great if some of the AOTY competitors came back to the forums to share information with others and to promote the cause externally as well.

I play the heel in a lot of these discussions because I'm the one who gets butthurt the least, so hopefully y'all get on it for 2018.  My goal is still to push the competition forward as a friendly competition, and that competitors can face off with each other in a way that they don't worry so much about the measuring part of it.  We've implemented a couple of behind the scenes changes with our measuring and approval policies as well that are more generous than in years past, and hope to continue to do so.  At the same time, we're continually evaluating the competition to make sure its as fair to Matanaska as it is to yakyak 1 fish.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
The goal for us is to make it more of a fishing contest than a photography and posing contest.  That's why my preference is for all fish to be measured and photographed the same, rather than allow for point manipulation.  See the KBF Rules, they're significantly stricter than ours. 

On the other hand, we don't have specific rules on what measuring devices can be used, and let people manipulate tails to lengthen fish.  We set only a small modicum of rules, and hope our competitors try to measure fish somewhat conservatively instead of trying to game the system to earn a few additional points here and there when compared to another competitor's fish.  Doing that will allow the competition to become more friendly, and I hope, more open, than it has been in year's past.  That's the best way to encourage more participation, which is always my goal, since ultimately the funds go to PIF, which is the strongest cause we have in our community. 

Moving too much of the fishing discussion away from the forums and onto social media doesn't help with increasing participation, and it would be great if some of the AOTY competitors came back to the forums to share information with others and to promote the cause externally as well.

I play the heel in a lot of these discussions because I'm the one who gets butthurt the least, so hopefully y'all get on it for 2018.  My goal is still to push the competition forward as a friendly competition, and that competitors can face off with each other in a way that they don't worry so much about the measuring part of it.  We've implemented a couple of behind the scenes changes with our measuring and approval policies as well that are more generous than in years past, and hope to continue to do so.  At the same time, we're continually evaluating the competition to make sure its as fair to Matanaska as it is to yakyak 1 fish.

And I only said all that because its funny and I know you dont take it personally.  I only post one or two fish a year anyway on aoty but i'm happy to keep donating.  One of these years I'll make a run at it but its not gonna be 2018.

Regarding posting more on the forums, as you note much of the posting has moved to social media.  I'm as guilty as anyone on this, but posting on social media is far more convenient and its easier too.  Ever since photobucket gave us the big middle finger, I've simply not been bothered to post many photographs on online forums.  Facebook and instagram are just so much easier anyway.

NWKA AOTY is an active and useful facebook page showing off recent aoty submissions.  Instead of fighting social media, how about using it to promote aoty like the sister site does.  As an aside, also note that nwka doesn't give a shit if the mouth is open and never has.

So can you make submissions to ncka aoty automatically post to an insta or facebook feed that we can sub to if we want?  I know it might drive some traffic away from ncka and on to social media, but i don't know how much traffic/revenue/etc issues that might cause.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

And I only said all that because its funny and I know you dont take it personally.  I only post one or two fish a year anyway on aoty but i'm happy to keep donating.  One of these years I'll make a run at it but its not gonna be 2018.

Regarding posting more on the forums, as you note much of the posting has moved to social media.  I'm as guilty as anyone on this, but posting on social media is far more convenient and its easier too.  Ever since photobucket gave us the big middle finger, I've simply not been bothered to post many photographs on online forums.  Facebook and instagram are just so much easier anyway.

NWKA AOTY is an active and useful facebook page showing off recent aoty submissions.  Instead of fighting social media, how about using it to promote aoty like the sister site does.  As an aside, also note that nwka doesn't give a shit if the mouth is open and never has.

So can you make submissions to ncka aoty automatically post to an insta or facebook feed that we can sub to if we want?  I know it might drive some traffic away from ncka and on to social media, but i don't know how much traffic/revenue/etc issues that might cause.
I think the committee members would love to do things like that.  Gotta get permission first from the site owners and figure out how it works since that's not in our control.  But getting competitors to help push our competition on social media would help!  Let's make this a big year!

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
One thing competitors don't see is our discussions with sponsors.  The committee members try our best to get prizes for the competition, but the quieter the competition gets, the less attention it gets, the less interest the sponsors have.  If competitors want to continue to have cool prizes, we need to give visibility to the competition. 

Otherwise, we can make it a bragging rights only type competition, which is personally fine with me and a couple of the judges.  Unfortunately the committee members are all volunteers and have competing priorities in life, so the more help we get from others on this stuff the better. 

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
As an aside, also note that nwka doesn't give a shit if the mouth is open and never has.

Not true.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

I think the committee members would love to do things like that.  Gotta get permission first from the site owners and figure out how it works since that's not in our control.  But getting competitors to help push our competition on social media would help!  Let's make this a big year!

I think Brian can do this, or can tell me what to do to enable it.

-Allen

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
One thing competitors don't see is our discussions with sponsors.  The committee members try our best to get prizes for the competition, but the quieter the competition gets, the less attention it gets, the less interest the sponsors have.  If competitors want to continue to have cool prizes, we need to give visibility to the competition. 

Otherwise, we can make it a bragging rights only type competition, which is personally fine with me and a couple of the judges.  Unfortunately the committee members are all volunteers and have competing priorities in life, so the more help we get from others on this stuff the better.

x100.

For example on the sponsors/prizes...

If I was Jackson and/or Orion I would be pretty disappointed that the donation of a brand new kayak and a brand new 85 quart cooler only generated 5 responses.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=77414.0

I personally would not fault sponsors at all for stopping sponsoring AOTY or DOTY.

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
The WS yak donation got 10 replies...but still....

Basically crickets.  :smt005

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=81589.0

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*