Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 04:06:09 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Flies  (Read 5126 times)

Davey Jones

Does anybody have a good selection for bay fly trolling? I picked up 2 anchovie flies to either kayak troll or floating bobber rig; what else works for stripers and halibut.

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
My site is down for some remodeling. Some of the  flies are on there that I use.
Three of the best fies that have been around for years are the Clousers , Deceivers and woolly buggers.
You can go to a good fly shop in the Bay area and pick up any of these in any size or color you want.
I  tie my own. I tied professionally for over ten years but my production fly tying days are over.
Any of the flies mention are excellent for trolling, Carolina rigging or floating bobber rig.
Clousers have caught all my subsurface stripers and gurglers have caught them on top.

Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

Marc Mc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I am a long time flyfisher...new to targeting stripers from my kayak.
Could you guys expand on the rigging you are using? I am currently trolling with a spinning rod and if I find fish...I cast our my fly using a LC13....and strip it back. I didn't know folks were using carolina rigging or a floating bobber rig. How do you fish it?

Thanks,
Marc

• View Profile http://www.paddleandflies.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
When I say Carolina Rigging I'm using baitcasting gear with the exception I'm using a flie as a lure. I'm using this set up as a trolling technique or when the fish are lower than say thirty feet, anthing past that and it's to much of a chore to flyfish. As for the floating bobber rig. I supose you could use a bobber but what most what people use is a bubble which you can by at any tackle shop. You can attach one to your line, tie a fly on the end of your linethen you can slide the bubble to an position you want. 2" is good between the bobble and the fly.
Why Do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat? I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been!
Paddle safe and wrap'em tight.
Rickey Noel Mitchell http://www.paddleandflies.com

Davey Jones

The bobber rig is kind of like a trolly rig at BP that floats a live bait with a limiter set by the floating bobber; but I'm thinking about floating a float/bobber at the end of the mainline and tying a few flies up the leader and letting the current give the action. Maybe a few split-shot to weigh the flies down in trolling mode.

Marc Mc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Gotcha...thanks.

....and sorry to Davey Jones for stealing your thread.

I also use the same flies as Paddle and Flies mentions. Now...if I can only get out more and actually catch a bunch on them. Also, don't forget FT Whistlers and the Blanton's Sar-Mul-Mac

I also use them for Rock Cod, but I prefer the poppers....that is a good time. Its just like casting poppers to Bass....wicked fun.

Tight lines,
Marc

Davey Jones

I have a Heritage 9' 10wt with a Reddington RS2 That is still slightly older than  NIB. I think I spooled it wrong because the small sticker was off one end when spooling the line. I need to send it to Vaughn's in Burney to have them look at it.
Does anyone have a source for info on what each fly needs in order to be made? I have a vice already.

Marc Mc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Fly Recipe's - The ones I mentioned and the Gurgler can be found at www.danblanton.com

For the Clouser - http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/090301fotw.html

Lefty's deceiver VIDEO - http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/lkdeceiver/

Good luck tying these flies. They are definitely challenging to get right. You can get something that looks similar but to get the proportions right takes a few times tying them.

Marc

Davey Jones

I remember the last show I watched about flyfishing was when OLN was doing a Bio on Joan Wulff's husband and Kurt Goudy. Mr Wulff would hold a hook and pinch some feathers and wrap a fly by hand and toss it and CATCH a Fish in one camera moment. It was awesome. Mrs. Wulff has some books at amazon.com; she is awesome!

Marc Mc

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Lee Wulff was amazing. That hand-tied fly stuff is as old school as you can get.
Joan Wulff is great. I wonder how many women have joined the sport because of her.
While the Royal Wulff is undoubtably Lee Wulff's most popular pattern, I think the grey wulff is far superior. I started tying it after reading Gary LaFontaine's book Dry Fly New Angles....great book...great fly.

Good luck!
Marc

anything