Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:40:57 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 12:09:28 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Cobras  (Read 13267 times)

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Last weekend I tried 2 Cobras at HMB kayaks - the Expedition and the Tourer. I thought I was gonna really want an Expedition, but it's pretty tippy, and also not real maneuverable. The Ex is the same width as my old fiberglass Nomad, but the Nomad seating is really low, which makes it more stable I think. And I like the up-close action, meaning next to rocks and through slots and such(!). The Ex is not a boat in which you can turn around fast and make a run for it. On the good side, it was a nice cruiser in the calm harbor waters, and it fit all my fishing and freedive gear inside hatches, which is important to a surf-challenged dude like me. The rudder system worked well and I can see that as being really handy for trolling.
    The Tourer was a lot more turn-able, and though it's not supposed to be as fast as the Ex, my "time trial" to the harbor mouth was the same within a few seconds for both boats. The tourer seemed to move right along. The rudder system didn't seem as effective with the Tourer, though.
     Does anyone use a rudder? It seems like it would be good for long paddles, especially trolling in bigger water. Are they problematic (the Ex's stuck in the up position).
    Second question, Are there problems with the Cobra hatches leaking? I figured that that would be something they wouldn't do, given the extensive latching system. A scupper pro might work for me too, but it seems like those hatches are much less secure. I am tired of my leaky-ass Nomad in that respect. The Cobra's certainly a bigger chunk of change than a scupper; I figured water-tightness was one of the reasons...
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You might also want to paddle a Mariner-XF, I paddled one this weekend and it si a really good ride, almost or as fast as my prowler. Tons of hatches to stow your gear.

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Bill, how was the Mariner?  Did you bump into the rods while paddling, and how is the seat, do you get wet?
--
<><

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
The mariner is bone dry compared to my Prowler, I think the prowler has the wettest ride of any yak I have paddled so far. The Mariner is so dry we launched a few people that where just dressed in normal cloths and did not want to get wet at all, they came back bone dry.

I did not paddle with rods in but a few others did. Some people hit rods others did not. The holders are optional so if you are concerned about bumping into them don't get them pre-installed and install your own.

I don't think a perfect fishing yak exist yet but the Mariner is the closest one I have seen and paddled to date. If the prowler was a little dryer and had a center hatch like the mariner then the prowler would be ahead.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I totally agree with Bill.....but I also think that a wider foot well on the Mariner would make it more "user friendly" - especially if you have big hippo feet like cpyak and Erik K :smt003

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
scupper plugs can turn a wet ride into a dry one, but you can't safely use them on the ocean.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Quote from: Mooch
I totally agree with Bill.....but I also think that a wider foot well on the Mariner would make it more "user friendly" - especially if you have big hippo feet like cpyak and Erik K :smt003

Or the feet of a gnome like Joel...  :smt005

Here's Allen's and my review of the Mariner from another thread.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1745
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
Quote from: MolBasser
scupper plugs can turn a wet ride into a dry one, but you can't safely use them on the ocean.

MolBasser

I am fully plugged. These issue is that you will get water in your yak. I took a little boat wake over the side as Mendo and then I was sitting in water for the rest of my trip. I don't think that boat wake would have gotten me wet on most other yaks. Also since the prowler 15 does not have a channel to drain the foot wells the foot well closest to the seat area fill with water then it over flows into the seat. Since I have my scuppers plugged I sit in water for the rest of the time. With my scuppers unplugged I get the water when I am sitting still but it drains while moving. Neither are ideal.

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Bill,

Yeah, I know, but you can get around this issue sort of by unplugging a couple of the pluggs if you get waked and paddle around and then replace them.

Kayaks are just enherently wet though.....

MolBasser
"The Science of Fishing"

Rikshaw

Bill,

MolBasser

Funny... most OK paddlers seem to say that.

LOL

Ric

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That is the issue when you are 4 inches off of the water, you get wet.  It doesn't matter what the brand is, it just happens.

Sure, OKs have seats that tend to stay wet, but all yaks are wet.  It is the nature of the beast.

My Drifter is quite dry in calm conditions and with scupper plugs, just as my buddies FnD is wet when water comes over the sides....

MolBasser
"The Science of Fishing"

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
Ocean Kayak, Ride the Best, F*CK the rest!

I guess plastic boats brands aren't really something you fight over. sigh...
john m. airey

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
Oh sh!t bringing out the old school C. Hosoi Indy ads, damn dude you are sooooo cool!

:smt005

granitedive

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
The Expedition I tried had the scuppers plugged, but had a drain arrangement (I forget what the HMB Kayak guy called it) that you open up when you start paddling, and the water disappears. I suppose you would close it when you're stopped. I thought it was a a great feature. Maybe Sean can fill us in...
"It's the ocean flowing in our veins"

potto

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: Rikshaw
Bill,

MolBasser

Funny... most OK paddlers seem to say that.

LOL

Ric

I second that notion; only hear that from an OK kayak-er.  My eXtreme keeps me dry all day.  Only my feet get wet, that's because I  stick them in the water on purpose.
--
<><

Jonah 1:17 "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish"

Peter Joseph Otto

anything